X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    It is classroom day, so there should be updates incoming later.

Leave a comment:

• Kravbizarre
    replied
    I had 3 friends in high school who were ninjas. Their teacher taught out of a rented space at the local town hall. Now i have a good friend who did bujinkan (which as of recent had re labelled itself japanese jujutsu) now they wore gi’s. The ninjas i knew in high school dressed like actual fucking ninjas hood and all. Their sensei as a symbol of badassery cut the sleeves off his ninja outfit in which he was the only one allowed. The shit they showed me looked like butchered aikido/karate.

But like somone else mentioned, its always the fucking ninjas. There is no one deadlier (in their mind) or as dedicated than the ninjas (its alot of work to dress up and actually buy into this shit). It could seriously be a branch of a new age religion. The unholy trinit: wing chun, aikido and ninjitsu.

Like you can study any art as an adult and it’ll be ok on a social level. How does anyone take some adult seriously when they say they are a ninja?
    Last edited by Kravbizarre; 5/26/2018 6:42pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Ulsteryank
    replied
    Originally posted by ksennin View Post
    Time to come clean. I do have one Stephen Hayes book on the subject received as a gift from a friend way, way back. What can I say? I am an 80s kid and I though Sho Kosugi was awesome. Some people just never grew up from that.
    I did too, but more shamefully at 16 in the late 90s. I worked with a boojer at my after school job at the cinema who lent me a Stephen Hayes book. Since my Karate dojo(that also Thai boxed twice a week) moved to Illinois, and it was off season for our wrestling team, I went down with him and boojed for 2 months. I wish the interwebs were more vast with my dial up AOL at the time, and there were more avenues other than Blackbelt magazine!

But who didn't play with ninja stars and smoke bombs growing up?

Leave a comment:

• BJMills
    replied
    Originally posted by ksennin View Post
    Time to come clean. I do have one Stephen Hayes book on the subject received as a gift from a friend way, way back. What can I say? I am an 80s kid and I though Sho Kosugi was awesome. Some people just never grew up from that.

But the book did come in handy once. My daughter became a big fan of Naruto and read her way thru the manga books. So when she was done and still all fired up about it, I just went "Ah, yes, ninjutsu" and produced the book with a flourish. She actually did go OOOH... for a moment. Then browsed thru it and gave it back, mighty offended at my deceit. So in just an instant, my preteen daughter proved better judgement than all those would-be shinobi.

I still love old chambara movies with ninja, though.

And here is what Netflix says on the subject:
    https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ed&oe=5B92841B
    Sho Kasugi was the shit... except if you watch those movies now the fight scenes are terrible. I mean even at 8 years old I knew the movies are terrible but back then I thought the fights were great.

plus he threw smoke bombs and disappeared!

Leave a comment:

• frenchie88
    replied
    Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
    This is fucking hilarious. Why is it always the goddamn ninjas?
    Maybe there are no Chunners in this training.

Leave a comment:

• ksennin
    replied
    Originally posted by ghost55 View Post

But the book did come in handy once. My daughter became a big fan of Naruto and read her way thru the manga books. So when she was done and still all fired up about it, I just went "Ah, yes, ninjutsu" and produced the book with a flourish. She actually did go OOOH... for a moment. Then browsed thru it and gave it back, mighty offended at my deceit. So in just an instant, my preteen daughter proved better judgement than all those would-be shinobi.

I still love old chambara movies with ninja, though.

And here is what Netflix says on the subject:
    https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ed&oe=5B92841B
    Last edited by ksennin; 5/25/2018 5:28pm, .

Leave a comment:

• ksennin
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    There were some Aikido guys that took exception to that in a mind boggling bit of funny. I'm just not sure it would translate well to a forum. It may be one of those things where you had to be there for it to really be funny.
    Dem's Aikido guys. It will be funny.

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    There were some Aikido guys that took exception to that in a mind boggling bit of funny. I'm just not sure it would translate well to a forum. It may be one of those things where you had to be there for it to really be funny.
    Give it a try. For science!!!

Leave a comment:

• ghost55
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    I've got so many good moments from today's class, mostly people arguing with the instructor about various things. It was quite entertaining. I was typing this out on my phone on the bus ride home, so I chose the two best bits. Honestly aside from the things that actually dealt with legalities, most of what we "learned" today could be considered common sense, and would be obvious to anyone who was a regular reader of this forum, especially the more serious sections. It was still fairly solid information and I never really mind reviewing fundamentals, because you can always find something new in it.

However, I was amazed at the number of people who didn't get basic ideas, like the majority of your class should be able to comprehend what you are teaching them and why. If they don't understand why you are teaching it to them, you as the instructor should be able to explain it. There were some Aikido guys that took exception to that in a mind boggling bit of funny. I'm just not sure it would translate well to a forum. It may be one of those things where you had to be there for it to really be funny.
    Oh I've seen that kind of stuff at Judo clinics and Judo Coach training classes.

Leave a comment:

• NeilG
    replied
    If they don't understand why you are teaching it to them, you as the instructor should be able to explain it.
    That is seriously one of the best things you gain as an instructor. Somebody asks you "why", you had better understand why. That process leads you to improve.

However, just because someone asks "why" doesn't mean you need to tell them. You need to be able to explain, that's a different thing.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    You just can't make this s*** up.

I'm looking forward to more hilarity I'm sure it will ensue.
    I've got so many good moments from today's class, mostly people arguing with the instructor about various things. It was quite entertaining. I was typing this out on my phone on the bus ride home, so I chose the two best bits. Honestly aside from the things that actually dealt with legalities, most of what we "learned" today could be considered common sense, and would be obvious to anyone who was a regular reader of this forum, especially the more serious sections. It was still fairly solid information and I never really mind reviewing fundamentals, because you can always find something new in it.

However, I was amazed at the number of people who didn't get basic ideas, like the majority of your class should be able to comprehend what you are teaching them and why. If they don't understand why you are teaching it to them, you as the instructor should be able to explain it. There were some Aikido guys that took exception to that in a mind boggling bit of funny. I'm just not sure it would translate well to a forum. It may be one of those things where you had to be there for it to really be funny.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Ok so today we are going to talk about two guys, Geeky Ninja(GN from now on) and John Kreese Ninja(JKN hence forth). When we last met GN he got shot down by his love interest and possibly deficated his pants at the the thought of newaza with a genuine BJJ player.

Today we started instructor philosophy, theoretical methodology and liability. So instead of being in rows we formed a circle. GN(who is Booj) backed up by his new best JKN(who is some obscure branch of Koga) decided to renew his suduction attempts and plopped down next to his love interest. In walks the chief instructor and instructor for this part(Kyokushin Red Belt, 4th Dan Judoka, black belt of varying degrees in a few other arts of varying effectiveness, and genuine badass, hereafter GBA). He sees the situation and manuevers a seat between the two. GN proceeds to pout for the next hour and a half.

At this point GBA starts talking about various responsibilities of an instructor, and comes around to honest marketing. He says something along the lines of if you don't have live sparring and go full contact occasionally, you can't genuinely claim to be effective in those sorts of things. GN takes issue with this, and begins to argue about how you can be completely effective even if never pressure tested. This argument goes on for about 15 min until GBA stands up and tells him to stand. GBA then says, "I want you to punch me in the face, don't worry, I won't hurt you, just tap you with my fingers at most". GBA doesn't even bother to put his hands up.
    GN takes his first swing.
    GBA moves faster than any 65ish year old man should legally be allowed to, lets out a yell, and when he stops has is fist about a quarter inch from GN's chin in a nice upper cut that I am fair certain would have knocked GN spark out.
    GBA takes a step back and says try again. GN takes another swing, GBA again slips it, this time dancing around behind GN and slaps him on the back of the head. For the next five minutes until GN concedes that he can't even come close to threatening to make contact with an old man in near tears GBA just keeps dancing behind him at every attempt and slapping him in the back of the head.
    Finally GN concedes that having never had alive training he doesn't even have the footwork necessary to keep his opponent in front of him, and so concedes the point about honesty in marketing.

Fast forward a couple of hours we are talking about legal liability. GBA is telling us about a Kyokushin tourney. He explains how at certain ages certain blows are illegal, namely in the 8yr old division you can't strike to the face or kick a downed opponent. First offense is a warning, second is point, third is a DQ, but if you get hit illegally and can't continue it is a forfeit.

In the 8yr old division one kid is losing his fight. His parents shout "kill him, put him in the ground, do what you have to". So losing kid elbows the other in the face shattering his nose, then kicks him in the head when he is down, necessitating him being airlifted to a hospital.

Broke face kid's parents sue the other kid's instructor, instructor argues that it was the parents who said it and not him, kid will do what his parents say over instructor instructions. Judge agrees awards them 4mil shekel from the unsportsmanlike parents. GBA then tells us that we have to be careful what kind of language we use as we can be held liable.

JKN then asks if it OK to whisper it to his students.

GBA: "Are you serious?"

JKN: "My art is ninjutsu, our philosophy is to win by any means necessary, so of course I'm serious. If I whisper it to my competitors how will anyone know to hold me liable?"

GBA's eyes nearly bug out of his head, and asks him if he is seriously that messed up in the head.(Not his exact words, I was too in shock and trying not to laugh to remember exact words, there may have been some stronger language in there).

JKN just sits there straight faced not realizing that he may have just failed the course.

At which point me and a number of other class members are sitting there wondering WTF is wrong with ninjas.
    You just can't make this s*** up.

I'm looking forward to more hilarity I'm sure it will ensue.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
    So there was some value to this training after all.
    Honestly today's class was pretty much pure gold.

The philosophy and teaching theory was all solid stuff. I expected it to be though.

The liability and legal stuff was all really great to.

It has become pretty clear that the head instructor didn't know all of the stuff that was being taught in the anatomy and physiology class, and it has become pretty clear that he isn't overly pleased with everything that went down there.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    At which point me and a number of other class members are sitting there wondering WTF is wrong with ninjas.
    So there was some value to this training after all.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X