This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Alright first break so I can fill in a few things. Sorry if they are not humorous.

DFW called it quits today. Came in to tell GBA that, and to work on the paperwork of officially withdrawing. Apparently getting choked unconscious in 4 seconds flat caused him to rethink all the KM stuff he had been told on choke defense, and then that lead him to rethink everything else he had been taught in KM. So he is officially and permanently out.

Psych instructor then droned on for three straight hours repeating himself and rambling dropping occasional nuggets of wisdom. Not that what he is saying isn't good solid stuff, but with a psych degree, it is all really basic and he isn't having class interaction so nothing funny, and just a lot of me struggling to pay attention.

During the first minutes of the break JKN went over to talk with the psych teacher. He basically wanted confirmation that he is currently training in a psychologically unhealthy environment. Psych teacher totally agreed with him.

He then came over to me. He apparently looked up the Gracies in Action videos and some Andre Galvao vids, and has decided to finish out the course then take up BJJ. Totally sensible in my opinion. I didn't see that one coming.
    So, Michael, looks like you have done your at least one good deed during your time in the class.

One Kraver realized the error of his ways (should not have quit, though, but done what JKN says he will do, take up BJJ), and JKN will finish class and take up BJJ.

Good work ! The Power of Positive Strangulation !

Comment

Originally posted by Guird View Post
      What do you mean not humorous?
      The aftermath of the choke is the best part of the story!
      I guess I don't personally find it humorous when a person quits Martial Arts, as I believe there is other value in martial arts other than just fighting skill. I would much rather that he had gone the route of JKN(who I now feel kinda bad about making fun of). Quitting altogether just seems sad.

Comment

I guess I don't personally find it humorous when a person quits Martial Arts, as I believe there is other value in martial arts other than just fighting skill. I would much rather that he had gone the route of JKN(who I now feel kinda bad about making fun of). Quitting altogether just seems sad.
        The Power of Positive Ridicule is a well-known, but not always effective, coaching/teaching method.

It used to work like hell on me, I tried to kill my primary judo coach on more than one occasion. Then I would go and smash MFs in competition because of trying and failing to smash him 5 days a week. More like bouncing off of brick wall, but you get the idea.

Comment

You have now experienced what its like to be a Bjj ambassador. These are the two of the three most common reactions. The other is complete denial of reality. I believe these two are the most sane of the three paths.

Comment

Thanks Michael. Very interesting turn of events.

Kind of says two things to me:

1) Reasonable people can get sucked into some unreasonable martial arts training.

2) When confronted with reality reasonable people can learn.

Seems simple but I’ve seen countless examples to the contrary, so this was refreshing.

On another note- about the promotion for self esteem nonsense- BJJ is an international sport. If Israeli schools promoted off self esteem vs ability the whole country would be a joke in international competition. How is that even an argument?

Comment

Rabbinical conversion. Awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                Rabbinical conversion. Awesome.
                Idk if Michael has ever fought in MMA but if he does his nickname should be "the Rabid Rabbi"

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                  You have now experienced what its like to be a Bjj ambassador. These are the two of the three most common reactions. The other is complete denial of reality. I believe these two are the most sane of the three paths.
                  I'm pretty sure that GN qualifies as denial of reality.

Yes, I just didn't see JKN being the one to come along on the rational side of things to be honest. I feel kinda bad for making fun of him now. I'm glad he had the ability to see through the BS he was being fed, but honestly of all the people he was the one I would have voted least likely to see reality.

TKD is an international sport. They still move kids along at a quick clip to black belt mostly for self-esteem reasons. People from other systems really don't get the BJJ ranking system, and in my opinion that is OK. I just need to make the right noises for the tests to get through this.

Comment

Yes, I just didn't see JKN being the one to come along on the rational side of things to be honest. I feel kinda bad for making fun of him now. I'm glad he had the ability to see through the BS he was being fed, but honestly of all the people he was the one I would have voted least likely to see reality.
                    Most people from other systems really don't get the BJJ ranking system, and in my opinion that is OK.
                    Fixed
                    I just need to make the right noises for the tests to get through this.
                    taking tests 101

Comment

Silliness aside its nice that there is at least a governing body involved.

Comment

I'm going to need some of those if they're laying around.

Comment

Well yeah, but she gave the money back plus a tip.....

Comment

Well yeah, but she gave the money back plus a tip.....
                            Be honest... it was just the tip.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that GN qualifies as denial of reality.

TKD is an international sport. They still move kids along at a quick clip to black belt mostly for self-esteem reasons. People from other systems really don't get the BJJ ranking system, and in my opinion that is OK. I just need to make the right noises for the tests to get through this.
                              One thing I was going to add, but then completely forgot about...

yeah if either of the ninjers was to come around I had naturally assumed it would be GN and JKN would be the one trying to talk him back into fantasy land. For it to be the other way around definitely caught me by surprise.

Comment

Choked out an Aikidoka, details to follow when I have more time. These guys have seriously drunk the Kool-Aid.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X