X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hungryjoe
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Yeah, I'm actually drawing a blank as to what to teach next week. I'm torn between a head and arm throw or a basic trap and roll. Funny thing is that at my club the coach can tell me I'm teaching and I'll just jump right in, here though I have no clue what to do.
    Choke please. From anything. With a timer running would add to the awesomeness.

Leave a comment:

• Gumby
    replied
    Yeah I thought of that. Some basic enter a clinch from a punch attempt, or something else from the Gracie Combatives catalog. There are 35 people, and already the Aikido people were complaining that 6 straight hours of training is too much and we are going to need way more than the two twenty minute breaks we already get. So with that many many people and that little time, I figure I'll have five minutes at the most to teach something. I've never seen anything grappling properly taught in five minutes. My current plan is to go in with options.

Though the Steve Maxwell bit about working against a larger stronger opponent reminds me of a bit of funny crazy that happened in class today.

So GBA makes the statement that martial art should allow you to defeat a larger stronger(untrained obviously) opponent.

One of the Aikido guys, who I'll now be referring to as Non-Believer Akidoka(NBA) says: "That's not true. A larger stronger person will always win."

GBA says, "Then what is the point of what you are teaching."

NBA responds: "The person's size and weight will give them an advantage that will ultimately allow them to overcome the smaller weaker person."

GBA: "If they were equal yes, but if a person has spent years learning a martial art, then their repertoire of techniques coupled with the knowledge of strategy and tactics that they should have picked up ought to give them an advantage that will enable them to overcome."

NBA is still having none of it, and they go back and forth for a few more minutes. Me, I'm sitting there thinking that finally there is an Aikidoka with an accurate assessment of what his art can and can't do.

Steve Maxwell is a pimp. I used to LOVE his self defense classes. It was a shame more students didn't actually enjoy it. Those with practical purposes did (law enforcement, etc) but most people wanted to work on their guard passes and sweeps and whatever.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by NeilG View Post
    That would be exactly what we do in kendo gradings. A panel of expert judges, most of whom don't know the people in front of them, decide whether or not the people pass a rank based on two 1-2 minute matches.

Also I can generally tell you what dan somebody I'm playing is within a minute or so. If I'm wrong, I'm off by no more than 1 dan.
    Yeah as GBA went on with his explanation he wasn't even talking about Dan ranks, he was talking about people with more widely divergent skills. Like people separated by several belt ranks. I can do that now with BJJ, and I'm only a two stripe blue belt.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by DCS View Post
    Some old school BJJ self defense moves...

Yeah I thought of that. Some basic enter a clinch from a punch attempt, or something else from the Gracie Combatives catalog. There are 35 people, and already the Aikido people were complaining that 6 straight hours of training is too much and we are going to need way more than the two twenty minute breaks we already get. So with that many many people and that little time, I figure I'll have five minutes at the most to teach something. I've never seen anything grappling properly taught in five minutes. My current plan is to go in with options.

Though the Steve Maxwell bit about working against a larger stronger opponent reminds me of a bit of funny crazy that happened in class today.

So GBA makes the statement that martial art should allow you to defeat a larger stronger(untrained obviously) opponent.

One of the Aikido guys, who I'll now be referring to as Non-Believer Akidoka(NBA) says: "That's not true. A larger stronger person will always win."

GBA says, "Then what is the point of what you are teaching."

NBA responds: "The person's size and weight will give them an advantage that will ultimately allow them to overcome the smaller weaker person."

GBA: "If they were equal yes, but if a person has spent years learning a martial art, then their repertoire of techniques coupled with the knowledge of strategy and tactics that they should have picked up ought to give them an advantage that will enable them to overcome."

NBA is still having none of it, and they go back and forth for a few more minutes. Me, I'm sitting there thinking that finally there is an Aikidoka with an accurate assessment of what his art can and can't do.

Leave a comment:

• NeilG
    replied
    At another point the Aikido guys didn't seem to grasp that an "expert" in your chosen style ought to be able to watch people from the same style with no ranking markers and thus rank them generally according to their skill levels. That 4 of the 5 Aimidokas couldn't grasp how that was possible, in my opinion, speaks loudly about how garbage Aikido really is.
    That would be exactly what we do in kendo gradings. A panel of expert judges, most of whom don't know the people in front of them, decide whether or not the people pass a rank based on two 1-2 minute matches.

Also I can generally tell you what dan somebody I'm playing is within a minute or so. If I'm wrong, I'm off by no more than 1 dan.

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    Yeah, I'm actually drawing a blank as to what to teach next week. I'm torn between a head and arm throw or a basic trap and roll. Funny thing is that at my club the coach can tell me I'm teaching and I'll just jump right in, here though I have no clue what to do.
    Some old school BJJ self defense moves...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
    This is my favorite current thread. Patiently waiting for rape details.

Leave a comment:

• hungryjoe
    replied
    Not much to report today. GN is still flirting, the young lady seems more receptive, I have theories there but I'll let them ride for now.

JKN will no longer talk to GN for some reason. During the discussion of necessary traits for an instructor when we came to classroom control, he said something typically crazy. Essentially that the students should do exactly what the instructor says, when he says without questioning anything. The guy is such a cliche that he is getting boring.

When discussing belt ranks the lone Wing Chun guy finally said something, and started arguing that belt ranks are just really arbitrary and invented in the last 100+ years so aren't really representative of skill or teaching ability. As the only guy there without a black belt I couldn't really disagree with his argument, which put me in an existential crisis of agreeing with a Chunner.

At another point the Aikido guys didn't seem to grasp that an "expert" in your chosen style ought to be able to watch people from the same style with no ranking markers and thus rank them generally according to their skill levels. That 4 of the 5 Aimidokas couldn't grasp how that was possible, in my opinion, speaks loudly about how garbage Aikido really is.

We got a long lecture from the instructor about how important belt tests are and students needing to know exactly what techniques they have to learn to pass their tests(not even going to get into that).

The final yawn was when the head instructor told us the importance of lineage and being able to trace it back as far as possible as that somehow gives us credibility. I made a few statements regarding how that it is a bit overrated as no one there, outside the JJJ guys are teaching anything over 100years old. To which I was treated to a treatise on how most of us can trace our arts back hundreds if not a thousand or more years. So apparently knowing only that Carlos and Hello learned from Maeda is not enough. I should know who Maeda learned from ect.... I tried to keep a straight face through that. Apparently I should try to trace my wrestling lineage back to the ancient Greeks too. I guess even a GBA can still have silly ideas.

Next week we start the practical... I gotta figure out what to teach a bunch of KM and Karate guys with no grappling background, that also won't shred their flimsy gis.
    This is my favorite current thread. Patiently waiting for rape details.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Not much to report today. GN is still flirting, the young lady seems more receptive, I have theories there but I'll let them ride for now.

JKN will no longer talk to GN for some reason. During the discussion of necessary traits for an instructor when we came to classroom control, he said something typically crazy. Essentially that the students should do exactly what the instructor says, when he says without questioning anything. The guy is such a cliche that he is getting boring.

When discussing belt ranks the lone Wing Chun guy finally said something, and started arguing that belt ranks are just really arbitrary and invented in the last 100+ years so aren't really representative of skill or teaching ability. As the only guy there without a black belt I couldn't really disagree with his argument, which put me in an existential crisis of agreeing with a Chunner.

We got a long lecture from the instructor about how important belt tests are and students needing to know exactly what techniques they have to learn to pass their tests(not even going to get into that).

The final yawn was when the head instructor told us the importance of lineage and being able to trace it back as far as possible as that somehow gives us credibility. I made a few statements regarding how that it is a bit overrated as no one there, outside the JJJ guys are teaching anything over 100years old. To which I was treated to a treatise on how most of us can trace our arts back hundreds if not a thousand or more years. So apparently knowing only that Carlos and Hello learned from Maeda is not enough. I should know who Maeda learned from ect.... I tried to keep a straight face through that. Apparently I should try to trace my wrestling lineage back to the ancient Greeks too. I guess even a GBA can still have silly ideas.

Next week we start the practical... I gotta figure out what to teach a bunch of KM and Karate guys with no grappling background, that also won't shred their flimsy gis.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
    I see kyokushin is popular there.
    Yes it is. It is supposed to be 8 Kyokushin and 6 JJJ... I was too tired when I was typing that.

It helps that the chief instructor of the course is a Kyokushin guy. Like trained under Mas Oyama in Japan Kyokushin guy. I don't know much about it, but with that many people I'll get a fair few lessons in it.

Leave a comment:

• ghost55
    replied
    There are 4 ninjas. GN and JKN are just the two stand outs. The other two are pretty chill, until they do some crazy they get no mention here. There are a total of 35 people in the class. 10 KM guys, 8 Jiu Jitsu(Japanese) practioners, 6 Kyokushin practitioners, 5 Aikidokas, 4 Ninjas, 1 Kung Fu guy, 1 BJJ guy(me).

Kinda wish there was at least one more BJJ player so that I wouldn't be the only one without a black belt come the practical bit.
    I see kyokushin is popular there.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by Kravbizarre View Post
    Wait so theres 2 ninjas? Jkn sounds like he actually belives hes an actual ninja like a character from a bad 1980’s film.
    From what I've seen of footage from JKN's dojo, I would say that is a fair assessment. Essentially it is a mashup of stuff from American Ninja and Bloodsport, with some Wing Chun thrown in for good flavor.

Yes there is YouTube video. I'll do some reveals at the end of the course when I don't have to worry about ethics violations.

Leave a comment:

• Tranquil Suit
    replied
    At this point GBA starts talking about various responsibilities of an instructor, and comes around to honest marketing. He says something along the lines of if you don't have live sparring and go full contact occasionally, you can't genuinely claim to be effective in those sorts of things. GN takes issue with this, and begins to argue about how you can be completely effective even if never pressure tested. This argument goes on for about 15 min until GBA stands up and tells him to stand. GBA then says, "I want you to punch me in the face, don't worry, I won't hurt you, just tap you with my fingers at most". GBA doesn't even bother to put his hands up.
    GN takes his first swing.
    GBA moves faster than any 65ish year old man should legally be allowed to, lets out a yell, and when he stops has is fist about a quarter inch from GN's chin in a nice upper cut that I am fair certain would have knocked GN spark out.
    GBA takes a step back and says try again. GN takes another swing, GBA again slips it, this time dancing around behind GN and slaps him on the back of the head. For the next five minutes until GN concedes that he can't even come close to threatening to make contact with an old man in near tears GBA just keeps dancing behind him at every attempt and slapping him in the back of the head.
    Finally GN concedes that having never had alive training he doesn't even have the footwork necessary to keep his opponent in front of him, and so concedes the point about honesty in marketing.
    And did this moment of public embarrassment spark a moment of self-reflection like: "Hey, maybe my MA skills suck and I should do something about it." ?

Or was he just the same the next day?

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    There are 4 ninjas. GN and JKN are just the two stand outs. The other two are pretty chill, until they do some crazy they get no mention here. There are a total of 35 people in the class. 10 KM guys, 8 Jiu Jitsu(Japanese) practioners, 6 Kyokushin practitioners, 5 Aikidokas, 4 Ninjas, 1 Kung Fu guy, 1 BJJ guy(me).

Kinda wish there was at least one more BJJ player so that I wouldn't be the only one without a black belt come the practical bit.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    No, there are eleven ninjas, MT can only see the two bad ones.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X