Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the other hand, it will be funny to see what lineages the ninjas will come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
      On the other hand, it will be funny to see what lineages the ninjas will come up with.
      Pfft... One of the JJJ guys claims he can trace his schools lineage back more than 2000 years. I'd like to see that too. I wish these were all going to be public, then I could start a new thread and like share a story a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
        Pfft... One of the JJJ guys claims he can trace his schools lineage back more than 2000 years. I'd like to see that too. I wish these were all going to be public, then I could start a new thread and like share a story a day.
        Dude, Japan isn't even that old. I mean sorta yea, but come on. Let's see Wiki... Feudal era Japan @ 1100. Bruh

EDIT: It sez JJJ origins during Sengoku period, which is 1400
        Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 6/16/2018 1:43pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
          Dude, Japan isn't even that old. I mean sorta yea, but come on. Let's see Wiki... Feudal era Japan @ 1100. Bruh

EDIT: It sez JJJ origins during Sengoku period, which is 1400
          So... Apparently his Jiu Jitsu predated Jiu Jitsu. He apparently has the r3al Jits.

Comment

Lol, what ryu? Of course it will be fake, but just for the fun of ripping its claims to shreds

Comment

There is an essay question on Str33t vs Sport? ... can you just link a thread from here?

Comment

So... Apparently his Jiu Jitsu predated Jiu Jitsu. He apparently has the r3al Jits.
                A squinty eyed Jesus figure stomped his foot on a rock and yelled "Kiaaaaaurrg". The rest is history.

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
                  There is an essay question on Str33t vs Sport? ... can you just link a thread from here?
                  I get the impression the question isn't about 'str33t' but about 'respect and honor' or something along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Guird View Post
                    I get the impression the question isn't about 'str33t' but about 'respect and honor' or something along those lines.
                    Originally posted by Michael
                    3) Explain the difference between sports and martial arts
                    I can't help but read that as street vs sport. Totally my bias of course.

Comment

Sports are fun... there is no fun aloud in martial arts... it's very serious. all the time... you over there stop smiling.

I don't get the difference between general fitness and fitness... what does the word general change about fitness?

Comment

See the thread I started here for the instructor's take.
                        https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=127887

Having done both I don't disagree with him.

Comment

Originally posted by lant3rn View Post
                          Sports are fun... there is no fun aloud in martial arts... it's very serious. all the time... you over there stop smiling.

I don't get the difference between general fitness and fitness... what does the word general change about fitness?
                          supposed to be sport specific fitness.

Comment

supposed to be sport specific fitness.
                            So fitness for a specific skill set between just being in general good health? I guess the difference is in practise and application?

i also think the differences between sports and martial arts are mostly superficial and based a lot on cultural specifics.

Comment

Originally posted by lant3rn View Post
                              So fitness for a specific skill set between just being in general good health? I guess the difference is in practise and application?

i also think the differences between sports and martial arts are mostly superficial and based a lot on cultural specifics.
                              There have been studies on this. Take world class Olympic Athletes. Wrestlers have across the board the highest VO2Max. Yet few could complete a marathon, let alone do it competitively. Likewise world championship marathoners, who literally run sub 5minute miles for 2hrs straight, will gas out in a 6 minute wrestling match. Why? Sport specific fitness. It's why guys like Dan Gable and Marcelo Garcia moved away from road work, it ultimately contributes very little to the sport specific fitness needed, whereas speed drills, short time drills ect, can greatly improve sport specific cardio.

As far as sport vs MA, see the thread I wrote before. Beyond that, me and two Judokas in the room were the only ones that got it. I guess if you haven't participated in competitive sports and then transitioned to martial arts you wouldn't understand.

Comment

As far as sport vs MA, see the thread I wrote before. Beyond that, me and two Judokas in the room were the only ones that got it. I guess if you haven't participated in competitive sports and then transitioned to martial arts you wouldn't understand.
                                Yes i've done both... I played hockey, soccer and football all at competitive levels and was involved in TKD for three years... sports were more relaxed atmosphere and TKD was more formal... Muay thai training is Thailand is actually a lot more laid back and fun compared to classes here in North America. BJJ class is actually a nice mix between the two.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X