• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by DCS View Post
    We're in YMAS FFS!!!
    We are trying to lure Tyrone back with serious technical discussion.

Anything else triggers him, so we have to tread lightly...

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    We're in YMAS FFS!!!

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Darce from backmount escape... white belt stuff.
    If you say so, master purple belt.

I in fact love all those various head and arm type chokes, but in competitive Judo the gi really gets in the way.

But I'm no expert, can't even really do one because of loss of shoulder mobility.

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    The Darce is an odd squeeze for people that dont know how to squeeze. Day 1 white belts cant get the RNC right.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    My favorite is the standing spin-to-RNC. Shit is gold.
    Fun facts:My teachers started with Steve at Maxercise pre-ufc. Steve's son Zak Maxwell has a competition victory over Kron Gracie.
    Funny as hell, I was thinking the same thing. Like, Michael tells Ninjer or aikidoka to take some fancy kamae (combative posture), then does the standing spin entry to RNC.

Of course, the urge to double leg will be strong and must be resisted...

Here, these guys are even Israeli, I think.

or...

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    Darce, LOL, dude, that's wayyyy too complicated.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by lant3rn View Post
    Darc, RNC, sweep from guard?
    Darce, LOL, dude, that's wayyyy too complicated.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Oh, I'll have a plan, and I'll leave my biomechanical explanation of principles at the door. I know no one wants to hear that anyway. Basically I think I'm going to go with with 3 things that I have planned out and choose the one that will best fit the time. Two of the three will include a choke for cardio guys to try and defeat.

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    That's funny, because the BJJ classes I absolutely enjoy the most are the self-defense classes. I mean, I could do that shit all night, every night versus one more complicated De La Riva guard pass, cause even white belts do De La Riva now...

I certainly appreciate the intricacies of action-reaction sequences, and control, and contingencies, but the simplicity of escaping a headlock (front or side) is a lot more satisfying for some reason.

Yeah, guys who have to actually put hands on real violent people appreciate practical stuff, for sure.
    My favorite is the standing spin-to-RNC. Shit is gold.
    Fun facts:My teachers started with Steve at Maxercise pre-ufc. Steve's son Zak Maxwell has a competition victory over Kron Gracie.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Just going to say that my ability to teach BJJ isn't the reason my coach is having me go through the course. Sure he'll let blue belts who want to do it, but the normal expectation is that they will assist other instructors(you know one of our 3 black belts, 2 brown belts, and 5 purple belts). My unique skill set of wrestling that even impressed Andre Galvao puts me in a different than normal blue belt category. As much as I will assist in the regular BJJ instruction, I will be teaching my own class right away in take downs.
    However, again most take downs require instruction is some basics before you can teach the actual thing. It's the time constraint as much as anything that has me a bit worried.
    Demonstrate you know the process of how to safely teach whatever you do, and make sure you use the stuff they taught in the current coaching class.

It's not about the technique, or making everybody an expert in 5 minutes, after all.

For example, make sure you have everybody positioned so that when you change angles on demo, everybody can see it from that angle.

I'm pretty sure you know all this stuff already...

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    When you apply the choke. Pop! Your arms closed.
    It speeds up the process quite a bit.
    Yeah, it's not particularly complicated, and if not perfect, will work eventually.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    There are a couple of things that kill combatives classes.

1) Boredom. The basic self defense against an untrained opponent gets old after a while. Not that it isn't good to learn, but most people only have so much patience for constant review of the same basics. Combat Sambo guys figured this out back in the 90's.
    2) Liveleaks. A lot of self defense training relies on archaic and theoretical weapons defenses. People look on live leaks, see that stuff doesn't work then think the entire system is BS. As far as the unarmed stuff, people started realizing that no self defense program was going to make them Jason Bourne.
    3) Closely related to live leaks is the development of modern training modalities such as shock knives and simunitions that help people experience first hand the ineffectiveness of their weapons defense without having to experience the dying part.
    4) The rise of MMA: It helped people realize that to be truly proficient at fighting they need to be a fairly well rounded martial artist.

All of that together means yeah, people want to start working on guard passes and things sweeps and things, because once they got the combatives down, that is the logical next step in the system.
    I see your point, but combatives can go on and on just like sport-based stuff. They are of course, in general, complimentary.

More and more resistance in combatives, working with different body types and strength levels, etc.

In the long run, though, I think that sports training is of course, more popular, because of as you suggest, the variety of movements available, and the "free-rolling" aspects which are entertaining and interesting.

Leave a comment:

• UltramanG
    replied
    This thread was so much fun to read...

Seriously if someone lasted 4 minutes in an RNC it means the person choking them really didn't know what they were doing.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Actually 5 minutes may be just enough time to teach a proper RNC. Just the choking part.
    Perfection is the enemy of good...they are going to want to see your process, not expect anybody to be proficient in 5 minutes.

Well, maybe the ninjers will think that...

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Gumby View Post
    Steve Maxwell is a pimp. I used to LOVE his self defense classes. It was a shame more students didn't actually enjoy it. Those with practical purposes did (law enforcement, etc) but most people wanted to work on their guard passes and sweeps and whatever.
    That's funny, because the BJJ classes I absolutely enjoy the most are the self-defense classes. I mean, I could do that shit all night, every night versus one more complicated De La Riva guard pass, cause even white belts do De La Riva now...

I certainly appreciate the intricacies of action-reaction sequences, and control, and contingencies, but the simplicity of escaping a headlock (front or side) is a lot more satisfying for some reason.

Yeah, guys who have to actually put hands on real violent people appreciate practical stuff, for sure.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X