This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    That was a a blue belt that asked him that at a seminar he was teaching. He legit didn't know the man had his own guard named after himself. He was just used to slicing through the mans guard.
    Ahahahahaha. At this seminar some white belt asked about countering it. Aside from the joke answer, Renzo actually showed us some cool shit. Apparently De la Riva has feet that turn inwards as a result of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident that actually make it easier for him to maintain hooks. Also Renzo's go-to method of dealing with it is a heel hook. He was big on heel hooks. I asked him about kneebar entries and he showed me a heel hook instead.

Comment

I should also point out that this part isn't graded so much. I mean if you don't take on his criticisms at all that will ding you on your final grade, but what I did today doesn't count for or against me, so I felt somewhat safe playing with that fire.

Comment

Ohh teach DLR to an x guard sweep... very bigginer friendly... if it wants you to teach an open guard I would just go with butterfly... who is supposed to be the instructor here? you should teach what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
          Ahahahahaha. At this seminar some white belt asked about countering it. Aside from the joke answer, Renzo actually showed us some cool shit. Apparently De la Riva has feet that turn inwards as a result of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident that actually make it easier for him to maintain hooks. Also Renzo's go-to method of dealing with it is a heel hook. He was big on heel hooks. I asked him about kneebar entries and he showed me a heel hook instead.
          "I'm having trouble passing the guard of a stocky guy, he always seems to..."

"Heel hook."

"When I find myself in a scramble, I..."

"Heel hook!"

"I was doing my taxes, and the deduction for..."

"HEEL HOOK!"

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post

"Heel hook."

"Heel hook!"

"HEEL HOOK!"
            "Someone tries to mug m-"

"HEEL HOOK"

"Uh..."

"And post about it live on twitter."

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
              "Relson, what do you think of Del La Riva Guard? "
              Relson - "Del La Riva....? I pass his guard."
              Royler didn't got the memo.

Comment

Renzo also said that at the seminar he did.
                Yeah, Renzo had no problem passing Ricardo's guard...

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                  Yeah, Renzo had no problem passing Ricardo's guard...

Maybe he was saying what Relson told him? This was in 2015, and my memory sucks.

Comment

Maybe he was saying what Relson told him? This was in 2015, and my memory sucks.
                    I don't think Relson and Ricardo had a lot of matches.

Comment

I don't think Relson and Ricardo had a lot of matches.
                      Relson and Rickson were on some some next level shit in the late 80's & 90's.

Comment

Royler didn't got the memo.
                        While Royce and Royler were destroying people in competition they didnt do so hot when they went to their big brother's gym.
                        The only dude Relson ever lost to was Rolls, per Relson.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post

"Heel hook."

"Heel hook!"

"HEEL HOOK!"
                          As one of my higher-level Judo coaches told me years ago the answer is Osoto Gari...

Comment

Essay Questions.

1) Draw the family tree of your school, from you and above, your teachers, teacher's teachers and so on

2) Name your method, describe the principles that characterize the way you believe and the uniqueness of your method and school

3) Explain the difference between sports and martial arts

4) What are the principles of planning

5) Build a 60-minute lesson for beginners, a basic lesson.

6) When you examine the method and the way you learn and teach, explain how you define it combines the importance of: technique, fitness and fighting spirit

7) What are the principles guiding warm up before your workout

8) What is the difference between general fitness and fitness?

9) A 16-year-old student is very talented, violently acting for his teammates in couples exercises. He was determined as someone who chooses weak and less trained partners. How to handle the issue

We're allowed to talk these over with our coaches and other instructors in our club, so I figure there is no problem discussing them here.

So anyone know who taught Maeda?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                              So anyone know who taught Maeda?
                              Something something Korea, then Kano
                              Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                                Something something Korea, then Kano
                                We're supposed to trace lineage as far as we can because supposedly the longer the lineage the greater the legitimacy. Me I don't get it. I want effectiveness, not to know that someone's great great grandpa did it just this way.

That's just one that makes me feel like the alien in the room. Same thing about the philosophy one. Honestly, I've never given much thought to BJJ philosophy, I just like grappling. Not that BJJ/GJJ even has a single unified philosophy. I mean sure people talk about BJJ lifestyle, but I'm pretty sure that means something different to Royce Gracie, Andre Galvao and Eddie Bravo.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X