This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    How to teach Gracie Jiu-Jitsu day 1 by Rayce.

Warm up: standing up in base and breakfalls.

Some Standing self defense should be covered.

Choose some stuff frome the e above video.Dont throw new studends. let them throw.

Grip breaks and and standing subs would be a good idea.

For ground technique teach the mount escapes and show how you cant be punched in the face really in mount but you can be punched while mounted by someone. This sends the message of the importance of the escape home.
    Another thing we do that they did at the Gracie Academy. When somebody comes in that doesn't really know any Gracie jiu jitsu we Mount them and tell them to try to escape their hardest. When they fail (they always fail) we then swap positions and ask them to not let us out and we immediately get out.
    Its quite the magic trick....... but you have to have a bad ass mount to pull off the trick. Thats what i will usually do at other marital arts schools if i am teaching there for some reason . Its quite the delusion removal tool.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
      Last paragraph spot on. Pass the course and move on, enjoy lulz...
      I don't want the guy to get a bad rap. He is a very competent teacher, as well a likable guy. The majority of people there come from rigid systems with very set curriculums. I'm a Western grappler. Wrestling->Sambo->BJJ/GJJ. None of those three things have a rigid curriculum. Things are taught as movement families ect. Two of the three don't even have belts(yes I know Sambo adopted belts in some places but generally speaking), and the one that does certainly doesn't have tests. Sure I did TKD once upon a time, but that is so long ago, and my style of TKD was more focused on kickboxing while keeping the traiditional stuff for reasons. So even that didn't have an overly rigid curriculum. So I'm coming at this almost as an alien to the system that everyone else is in the room is totally familiar with.

GBA did in all graciousness pull me aside after and let me know that I'm doing really well, and to make sure I had a better idea of what he wanted. When I said I talked to the Kyokushin lady he didn't criticize(who apparently is the student of one of his students) and said I did, he nodded, smiled and patted me on the back. Should have gone, back bridge, trap and roll, guard pass with no expectation of getting through most of that, but he wants to see that it is taught in an orderly and safe manner, with classroom control.

Comment

Another thing we do that they did at the Gracie Academy. When somebody comes in that doesn't really know any Gracie jiu jitsu we Mount them and tell them to try to escape their hardest. When they fail (they always fail) we then swap positions and ask them to not let us out and we immediately get out.
        Its quite the magic trick....... but you have to have a bad ass mount to pull off the trick. Thats what i will usually do at other marital arts schools if i am teaching there for some reason . Its quite the delusion removal tool.
        Hip pressure and good hooks. Yeah I got that. The black belts in my club can eventually work their way out, but I don't think I need to be hold down black belts for other people not to get out.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
          GBA would probably agree with that as far as a full class, he was looking for single lesson. I have to sketch out a lesson plan for an hour long class. I've got some ideas on that. I'll post them up here when it comes together better in my head.

Make sure to include lots of bowing osu and kiai.

Come on you know you want to be a sarcastic bastard...

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
            Make sure to include lots of bowing osu and kiai.

Come on you know you want to be a sarcastic bastard...
            Note to self: Smile and whisper "Kiai" sarcastically while doing an RNC at a kickpunchery school. This should help with your generally humble personality traits coming across to the new people that you meet.

Comment

I don't want the guy to get a bad rap. He is a very competent teacher, as well a likable guy. The majority of people there come from rigid systems with very set curriculums. I'm a Western grappler. Wrestling->Sambo->BJJ/GJJ. None of those three things have a rigid curriculum. Things are taught as movement families ect. Two of the three don't even have belts(yes I know Sambo adopted belts in some places but generally speaking), and the one that does certainly doesn't have tests. Sure I did TKD once upon a time, but that is so long ago, and my style of TKD was more focused on kickboxing while keeping the traiditional stuff for reasons. So even that didn't have an overly rigid curriculum. So I'm coming at this almost as an alien to the system that everyone else is in the room is totally familiar with.

GBA did in all graciousness pull me aside after and let me know that I'm doing really well, and to make sure I had a better idea of what he wanted. When I said I talked to the Kyokushin lady he didn't criticize(who apparently is the student of one of his students) and said I did, he nodded, smiled and patted me on the back. Should have gone, back bridge, trap and roll, guard pass with no expectation of getting through most of that, but he wants to see that it is taught in an orderly and safe manner, with classroom control.
              Right on I didn't mean to come off as overly critical to the person just get my analysis is another coach of what was going on and having been to quite a few coach training courses myself.

I figured he noticed that you were one of the most competent people in the class anyway already.

What he said to you pretty much confirms that.

Comment

Well when I gotta go again, I'll have a few more things planned out. If he goes with De La Riva again(which he might given the way he runs his course) I'll teach a basic guard pass. if he hasn't called stop by the time that is over, I'll then teach how to shut down a basic guard pass with an open guard sweep(except half the people aren't in gis of any sort so De La Riva is still impossible to teach), hopefully by this point he'll have called a stop, otherwise I'll transition into how to stop said basic sweep. Then De La Riva to shut that down... Which brings me back to the point that De La Riva isn't meant for beginners in any fashion.
                DLR is unsafe for noobs and makes no sense working on it in this context. GBA is trolling you or he doesn't know shit about DLR.

1. In your experience as the IBJJF head medical doctor; are there any particular situations in which a lot of injuries occur, both in tournaments and training?

In my 20+ years of BJJ training, and 15 years of covering BJJ medically, I’d say playing De La Riva guard has presented the most chronic knee injuries of instability within the knee joint
                https://www.yogaforbjj.net/interview...an-kreiswirth/
                Edit. You can teach DLR for no-gi, but it makes even less sense. Also: chokes are not dangerous, strikes are, throws are, locks are.
                Last edited by DCS; 6/15/2018 11:24am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Aikido guy
                  I thought BJJ was complicated, but if there are only 36 basic techniques that isn't complicated
                  Aikido's basic tecniques are 12.

Comment

Okay maybe, just maybe, you should have gone with something else. But God damn it! this thread is titled Cardio beats RNC and you effectively demonstrated that cardio does not, in fact, beat an RNC. In the long run, that's full on fucking victory. You have crushed your enemies, seen them driven before you, and heard the lamentations of their women!

Also, RNC is a solid thing to teach in a limited amount of time. Super effective, not that hard to master... or master well enough to put your average Joe down anyway.

Comment

TBF you are put into a pretty tough situation. If had say 30 minutes to do an introduction to judo, it would probably be mostly demonstration so that people could understand what judo is. If it was a first class in judo, it would include the demo/intro part plus a starter on ukemi and some introductory newaza. If I had to demonstrate my teaching style by teaching some specific waza (such as I might be asked in a dan exam), then I would assume that the context would be that I am teaching it to judo people who have enough background to learn that waza. Having to teach a specific waza to people who don't have the foundational skills to learn it is problematic.

Comment

https://gfycat.com/TotalHairyAsianpiedstarling

This is the real DLR, not that sport leg entangling shit kids do today. DLR is an old school Vale Tudo guard, porra!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                          https://gfycat.com/TotalHairyAsianpiedstarling

This is the real DLR, not that sport leg entangling shit kids do today. DLR is an old school Vale Tudo guard, porra!!!

"Relson, what do you think of Del La Riva Guard? "
                          Relson - "Del La Riva....? I pass his guard."

Comment

"Relson, what do you think of Del La Riva Guard? "
                            Relson - "Del La Riva....? I pass his guard."
                            Renzo also said that at the seminar he did.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                              Renzo also said that at the seminar he did.
                              That was a a blue belt that asked him that at a seminar he was teaching. He legit didn't know the man had his own guard named after himself. He was just used to slicing through the mans guard.

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
                                Okay maybe, just maybe, you should have gone with something else. But God damn it! this thread is titled Cardio beats RNC and you effectively demonstrated that cardio does not, in fact, beat an RNC. In the long run, that's full on fucking victory. You have crushed your enemies, seen them driven before you, and heard the lamentations of their women!

Also, RNC is a solid thing to teach in a limited amount of time. Super effective, not that hard to master... or master well enough to put your average Joe down anyway.
                                There weren't exactly lamentations from the women. They all being JJJ, or Karate with the sole exception of the one Aikido/Judo lady, they had never seen a choke so easy. One lady said
                                I can't believe this works, I don't feel like I'm doing anything at all
                                So I replied, my 8yr old daughter can tap me with this. She used to try when she was 7 but her arms were to short to lock up right. Which is by the way a true story. After that they doubled their efforts to get it technically right.

And yeah I should have gone with something else, I kinda knew that at the time, but I had had a lesson plan, I really wanted to see if anyone was dumb enough to think cardio could beat it, and I knew GBA had given me an impossible task and I kinda wanted to troll him back. I'll make sure to have my morning coffee next time so I won't be so cranky.
                                Last edited by Michael Tzadok; 6/15/2018 1:30pm, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X