X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCS
    replied
    https://gfycat.com/TotalHairyAsianpiedstarling

This is the real DLR, not that sport leg entangling shit kids do today. DLR is an old school Vale Tudo guard, porra!!!

Leave a comment:

• NeilG
    replied
    TBF you are put into a pretty tough situation. If had say 30 minutes to do an introduction to judo, it would probably be mostly demonstration so that people could understand what judo is. If it was a first class in judo, it would include the demo/intro part plus a starter on ukemi and some introductory newaza. If I had to demonstrate my teaching style by teaching some specific waza (such as I might be asked in a dan exam), then I would assume that the context would be that I am teaching it to judo people who have enough background to learn that waza. Having to teach a specific waza to people who don't have the foundational skills to learn it is problematic.

Leave a comment:

• BJMills
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    I don't want the guy to get a bad rap. He is a very competent teacher, as well a likable guy. The majority of people there come from rigid systems with very set curriculums. I'm a Western grappler. Wrestling->Sambo->BJJ/GJJ. None of those three things have a rigid curriculum. Things are taught as movement families ect. Two of the three don't even have belts(yes I know Sambo adopted belts in some places but generally speaking), and the one that does certainly doesn't have tests. Sure I did TKD once upon a time, but that is so long ago, and my style of TKD was more focused on kickboxing while keeping the traiditional stuff for reasons. So even that didn't have an overly rigid curriculum. So I'm coming at this almost as an alien to the system that everyone else is in the room is totally familiar with.

GBA did in all graciousness pull me aside after and let me know that I'm doing really well, and to make sure I had a better idea of what he wanted. When I said I talked to the Kyokushin lady he didn't criticize(who apparently is the student of one of his students) and said I did, he nodded, smiled and patted me on the back. Should have gone, back bridge, trap and roll, guard pass with no expectation of getting through most of that, but he wants to see that it is taught in an orderly and safe manner, with classroom control.
    Okay maybe, just maybe, you should have gone with something else. But God damn it! this thread is titled Cardio beats RNC and you effectively demonstrated that cardio does not, in fact, beat an RNC. In the long run, that's full on fucking victory. You have crushed your enemies, seen them driven before you, and heard the lamentations of their women!

Also, RNC is a solid thing to teach in a limited amount of time. Super effective, not that hard to master... or master well enough to put your average Joe down anyway.

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    Originally posted by Aikido guy
    I thought BJJ was complicated, but if there are only 36 basic techniques that isn't complicated
    Aikido's basic tecniques are 12.

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    Well when I gotta go again, I'll have a few more things planned out. If he goes with De La Riva again(which he might given the way he runs his course) I'll teach a basic guard pass. if he hasn't called stop by the time that is over, I'll then teach how to shut down a basic guard pass with an open guard sweep(except half the people aren't in gis of any sort so De La Riva is still impossible to teach), hopefully by this point he'll have called a stop, otherwise I'll transition into how to stop said basic sweep. Then De La Riva to shut that down... Which brings me back to the point that De La Riva isn't meant for beginners in any fashion.
    DLR is unsafe for noobs and makes no sense working on it in this context. GBA is trolling you or he doesn't know shit about DLR.

1. In your experience as the IBJJF head medical doctor; are there any particular situations in which a lot of injuries occur, both in tournaments and training?

In my 20+ years of BJJ training, and 15 years of covering BJJ medically, I’d say playing De La Riva guard has presented the most chronic knee injuries of instability within the knee joint
    https://www.yogaforbjj.net/interview...an-kreiswirth/
    Edit. You can teach DLR for no-gi, but it makes even less sense. Also: chokes are not dangerous, strikes are, throws are, locks are.
    Last edited by DCS; 6/15/2018 11:24am, .

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    I don't want the guy to get a bad rap. He is a very competent teacher, as well a likable guy. The majority of people there come from rigid systems with very set curriculums. I'm a Western grappler. Wrestling->Sambo->BJJ/GJJ. None of those three things have a rigid curriculum. Things are taught as movement families ect. Two of the three don't even have belts(yes I know Sambo adopted belts in some places but generally speaking), and the one that does certainly doesn't have tests. Sure I did TKD once upon a time, but that is so long ago, and my style of TKD was more focused on kickboxing while keeping the traiditional stuff for reasons. So even that didn't have an overly rigid curriculum. So I'm coming at this almost as an alien to the system that everyone else is in the room is totally familiar with.

GBA did in all graciousness pull me aside after and let me know that I'm doing really well, and to make sure I had a better idea of what he wanted. When I said I talked to the Kyokushin lady he didn't criticize(who apparently is the student of one of his students) and said I did, he nodded, smiled and patted me on the back. Should have gone, back bridge, trap and roll, guard pass with no expectation of getting through most of that, but he wants to see that it is taught in an orderly and safe manner, with classroom control.
    Right on I didn't mean to come off as overly critical to the person just get my analysis is another coach of what was going on and having been to quite a few coach training courses myself.

I figured he noticed that you were one of the most competent people in the class anyway already.

What he said to you pretty much confirms that.

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    Make sure to include lots of bowing osu and kiai.

Come on you know you want to be a sarcastic bastard...
    Note to self: Smile and whisper "Kiai" sarcastically while doing an RNC at a kickpunchery school. This should help with your generally humble personality traits coming across to the new people that you meet.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    GBA would probably agree with that as far as a full class, he was looking for single lesson. I have to sketch out a lesson plan for an hour long class. I've got some ideas on that. I'll post them up here when it comes together better in my head.

Make sure to include lots of bowing osu and kiai.

Come on you know you want to be a sarcastic bastard...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Another thing we do that they did at the Gracie Academy. When somebody comes in that doesn't really know any Gracie jiu jitsu we Mount them and tell them to try to escape their hardest. When they fail (they always fail) we then swap positions and ask them to not let us out and we immediately get out.
    Its quite the magic trick....... but you have to have a bad ass mount to pull off the trick. Thats what i will usually do at other marital arts schools if i am teaching there for some reason . Its quite the delusion removal tool.
    Hip pressure and good hooks. Yeah I got that. The black belts in my club can eventually work their way out, but I don't think I need to be hold down black belts for other people not to get out.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    Last paragraph spot on. Pass the course and move on, enjoy lulz...

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    How to teach Gracie Jiu-Jitsu day 1 by Rayce.

Warm up: standing up in base and breakfalls.

Some Standing self defense should be covered.

Choose some stuff frome the e above video.Dont throw new studends. let them throw.

Grip breaks and and standing subs would be a good idea.

For ground technique teach the mount escapes and show how you cant be punched in the face really in mount but you can be punched while mounted by someone. This sends the message of the importance of the escape home.
    Another thing we do that they did at the Gracie Academy. When somebody comes in that doesn't really know any Gracie jiu jitsu we Mount them and tell them to try to escape their hardest. When they fail (they always fail) we then swap positions and ask them to not let us out and we immediately get out.
    Its quite the magic trick....... but you have to have a bad ass mount to pull off the trick. Thats what i will usually do at other marital arts schools if i am teaching there for some reason . Its quite the delusion removal tool.

Leave a comment:

• baby_cart
    replied
    Ok some other nuggets. So I explained that there are 36 basic techniques that form the core of BJJ/GJJ that you use form white belt to black belt. An Aikido guy says:

So I inform him that getting those down typically brings you to blue belt and that takes the average person 1.5-2yrs. He stares at me in amazement.

Another KM guy, complained that I had them working the same technique too long:

GBA defended me on that one, but I'm gonna go with the idea of that is part of the reason why KM sucks. No one in the room was doing an RNC correct, I had to correct them all, which in itself takes time, two or three repetitions is hardly going to build any sort of muscle memory, or even basic memory.
    1. Ask them if they have served in the military.
    2. Ask them if they are rated as an expert marksman.
    3. Ask them how many rounds they had spent at the firing range in order to achieve that.
    4. Now ask them why do they think that a few reps of a technique is all they need to be proficient in H2H.
    5.?????
    6. PROFIT!

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Dude it was a duffle bag of stuff, I mean like a full sized duffle bag, with knives, throwing stars, chain and ball things and a bunch of other assorted things, that, if searched by the police, I'm sure would get him some special attention and possible domestic terrorism charges.
    automatic fail imo...

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    There are some good and competent people there. Not everyone got to teach, and the smarter competent people mostly held back to see what GBA really wanted. Looking back on it, I kinda wish I had done the same. After a few competent Kyokushin people went(after me), I figured out what he wanted. Especially as, I was a training partner for a lot of it with the only one he didn't criticize, so I asked her what she was assigned, and saw how she structured it, and figured out from that exactly what he was looking for.

Yes he definitely is teaching us how to teach according to his style. Typical for Israel. He is a competent and safe instructor. He is primarily a Kyokushin guy. He does have a Judo black belt(4th Dan), however he sees that as a add on to the Budo of his Kyokushin. I'm pretty sure I know what he wanted from me, at this point, and I'll talk to him this week to make sure I'm correct. I don't agree on submissions being too dangerous for beginners, but again that is difference of opinion I'm not willing to die on.

He definitely thinks his philosophy is best. The test questions he sent us home with for the essays he wants us to write, prove that more than anything. I'm gonna go with the initial advice I got from my coach on this one, just roll with it and get through it, take what works, and discard the rest.
    Last paragraph spot on. Pass the course and move on, enjoy lulz...

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied
    How to teach Gracie Jiu-Jitsu day 1 by Rayce.

Warm up: standing up in base and breakfalls.

Some Standing self defense should be covered.

Choose some stuff frome the e above video.Dont throw new studends. let them throw.

Grip breaks and and standing subs would be a good idea.

For ground technique teach the mount escapes and show how you cant be punched in the face really in mount but you can be punched while mounted by someone. This sends the message of the importance of the escape home.
    GBA would probably agree with that as far as a full class, he was looking for single lesson. I have to sketch out a lesson plan for an hour long class. I've got some ideas on that. I'll post them up here when it comes together better in my head.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X