Best and Worst Martial Arts Vloggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@ BKR

Do you teach kids the "unorthodox" ways to take ukemi promoted by coaches like Lafon some years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
      Wait, what?

These guys are awesome.
      I especially like how he fumbles with the clip in slo-mo right at the start

Comment

Originally posted by Mandem View Post
        I especially like how he fumbles with the clip in slo-mo right at the start
        Haters gonna hate.

Sly is a top notch martial artist. There are not many people in the world who can stab the BOB with so much awesomeness and atractiveness. I think he's only surpassed by Phil Elmore, but by a small margin.

Comment

@ BKR

Do you teach kids the "unorthodox" ways to take ukemi promoted by coaches like Lafon some years ago?
          Well, I don't teach kids, really.

I would not teach what Gerald calls "unorthodox" ukemi to kids, and when I have taught kids in the past did not do so. By kids I mean in general under say 12 or 13 years of age.

What he calls unorthodox ukemi I tend to lump in with "score reduction" techniques, things you do when you have got caught and are on the way down to the tatami, and want to avoid landing in a scoring position (now that would be side/any part of back), or land in a position to lower potential score. Any ukemi waza done is usually some front of mae ukemi waza (front fall for the none-weabooos in the audience).

So, I do teach front falls, of course. One aspect of that for littler kids though is that it takes a fair amount of core strength to do correctly, and it's a type of fall that they won't generally be taking. I know that the coaches in the junior classes teach front falls, but they don't teach much in the way of "turning out" of throws, mainly because of safety reasons, plus, in Canada, the littler kids don't compete.

For the older kids who are in my class, I teach set turnouts from the various throws, but the real emphasis is on not getting into a position where you can be thrown in the first place, via grip, posture, and movement. Bonus Japanese ! Kumi Kata, shisei, shintai and tai sabaki.

Then the various dodges/counters/blocks to basic throws in case your opponent manages to get into a position well enough to try a throw.

That plus basic tumbling works pretty well. It all has to be adjusted to the individual and their athletic ability, physical stature, etc, and it can't be rushed, because a lot of it requires good athletic ability and reactions.

Safety first, always, because, well, just because...
          Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Haters gonna hate.

Sly is a top notch martial artist. There are not many people in the world who can stab the BOB with so much awesomeness and atractiveness. I think he's only surpassed by Phil Elmore, but by a small margin.
            That clip of stabbing BOB made me cringe. Those things run like $400... I mean was it really necessary to blow that on something so retarded?

Comment

Wait, what?

These guys are awesome.
              I have a new channel to follow! Aikibears in camo and dresses blowing themselves! These are some sexy dudes. I am so glad gay men are not hiding in shame anymore. Instead they make the BEST COMING OUT VIDEO in the world. I love how they immediately just jump right in, showing everyone that there is more to a gay individual than their sex acts. They live full rich lives of LARPING, Crossdressing, Aikido, Tactical Gun Fighten, and Xtreme AfterEffects. All the little flubs and mistakes only make it more endearing. You know they have tons of perfect taciticool reloads recorded but just used that one to help you form a connection. Which you couldn't do if they started off by showing you how were perfectly fabulous and perfectly tactical they really are.

#Boypower #Comingout #ComingUP #nomorecloset #realmenweardresses #logcabinRepublicans #gaymen
              I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
              BILL HICKS,
              1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
              ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by Bar Humbug View Post
                Honourable mention to Roukas who's on YouTube and reddit, he's been mentioned/discussed on here, he's an aikidoka who was trying to look at ways of turning aikido into an alive art. Basically has got to the stage that he's calling out other aikidoka's saying that he's tried to make it work and it's beyond saving, but he bothered to document his road to Damascus so that's useful for future arguments, plus it's been entertaining to watch the evolution in film and forum posts.
                After a year of musha shugyo he's almost ready for "Aikido vs MMA - 2: THE REVENGE!!!!"

Somebody gonna get a hurt real bad.

Comment

After a year of musha shugyo he's almost ready for "Aikido vs MMA - 2: THE REVENGE!!!!"

That was really interesting. He seems to be coming to the conclusion that aikido is pretty much worthless. Or maybe I’m reading too much into that but he made some comment about whether it was worth sticking with at all.

There is something almost cathartic about watching someone’s world view change after a string dose of reality.

Not interesting enough to follow his day to day training but I’ll definitely watch his rematch.

Comment

Shugyo? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Somebody indeed...

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
                      BKR would make a good shepherd.

In fact, I'd be kind of surprised if he's never played one.
                      He could certainly process the livestock into something tasty, ChenPengFi.

Comment

Aikido guy has now abandoned Aikido completely and trains at SBGi. He had his first ammy fight in April. Zero Aikido techniques displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by ghost55 View Post
                          Aikido guy has now abandoned Aikido completely and trains at SBGi. He had his first ammy fight in April. Zero Aikido techniques displayed.

You are forgetting about disrupting your opponent's composure with the Aikido glare.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
                            You are forgetting about disrupting your opponent's composure with the Aikido glare.
                            And this....

Comment

I've followed the fellows YouTube channel. I don't mind the guy to be honest. One of the few I've seen turn around and admit that what they were doing sucked and attempted to improve themselves. Most divert into the usual "Yeah but in the street" bullshit.

I'm a big fan of Ramsey Dewey at the moment. I think he's pretty legit and I really like his stance on RBSD.
                              "BJJ!!! Guard can't protect you from collapsing gym roof, tough guy!" - W. Rabbit

Comment

He could certainly process the livestock into something tasty, ChenPengFi.
                                You really want him to come back don't you ? I miss him too.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X