X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gold_ax666
    replied
    Originally posted by Heuristic View Post
    It's hardly surprising that your prefer your own style.
    true- but I do consider my own style what Taekwondo really is. Each to their own though.

Leave a comment:

• Heuristic
    replied
    Originally posted by gold_ax666 View Post
    Yes, I know the actual pattern Choong Moo is Chang Hon, but I can only relate my opinion to what I personally consider as Chang Hon style. I don't consider TAGB the same in style. That said, a TAGB stylist may not like my 'interpretation' of the patterns.

This is why I commented before about the politics. There should not be such a diverse range of 'styles' for Chang Hon. It should be standardised. I referee at open style events and I cannot help but prefer the look of those who practice my style of pattern. This is why the referees on each area are a mixture of associations. But this is far form a perfect situation.

What is the answer? Nothing that will happen. If all the associations unite and agree on one syllabus. I can't see all those powerful GMs giving up their positions though to do this!!!
    It's hardly surprising that your prefer your own style.

Leave a comment:

• gold_ax666
    replied
    It is Chang Hon too... Just not sinewave. It is obviously wrong execution but that was to show that there are levels of poor.
    Yes, I know the actual pattern Choong Moo is Chang Hon, but I can only relate my opinion to what I personally consider as Chang Hon style. I don't consider TAGB the same in style. That said, a TAGB stylist may not like my 'interpretation' of the patterns.

This is why I commented before about the politics. There should not be such a diverse range of 'styles' for Chang Hon. It should be standardised. I referee at open style events and I cannot help but prefer the look of those who practice my style of pattern. This is why the referees on each area are a mixture of associations. But this is far form a perfect situation.

What is the answer? Nothing that will happen. If all the associations unite and agree on one syllabus. I can't see all those powerful GMs giving up their positions though to do this!!!

Leave a comment:

• Heuristic
    replied
    It’s only my opinion and there are too many individual components to mention but quite simply this is performed in a style that I don’t consider ITF.

From incorrect stance lengths to bad foot positioning (L Stance- toes pointing in wrong direction) to bent wrists on certain techniques. I would pick my black belts up on these.

For TAGB this may be perfectly acceptable but if some asks me how this holds up as an ITF style Chang Hon pattern, I would honestly say it needs work.

It is Chang Hon too... Just not sinewave. It is obviously wrong execution but that was to show that there are levels of poor.

Leave a comment:

• gold_ax666
    replied
    Relative to the other ones? A grandmaster

Look at 2:10.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N10NcdoRXUA&t=135s

Now that's about as awful I've ever seen a simple forward direction punch
    It’s only my opinion and there are too many individual components to mention but quite simply this is performed in a style that I don’t consider ITF.

From incorrect stance lengths to bad foot positioning (L Stance- toes pointing in wrong direction) to bent wrists on certain techniques. I would pick my black belts up on these.

For TAGB this may be perfectly acceptable but if some asks me how this holds up as an ITF style Chang Hon pattern, I would honestly say it needs work.

Leave a comment:

• gold_ax666
    replied
    This girl was World Champion in forms when she was younger. I like her. She had a hip replacement though so her kicks aren't what they used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cRFJnbEhsM
    This lady has much better form.

Leave a comment:

• gold_ax666
    replied
    • Originally posted by BKR View Post
      WTF is with the long-assed belt ? Some sort of sympathetic magic ?

Quite simply it is wrong. A TKD black belt goes round the waist only once to signify one grandmaster, one Taekwondo and to win the fight I one victorious blow.

It should certainly not hang so low. It is too long.

Leave a comment:

• Heuristic
    replied
    This girl was World Champion in forms when she was younger. I like her. She had a hip replacement though so her kicks aren't what they used to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cRFJnbEhsM

Leave a comment:

• Heuristic
    replied
    I strongly disagree that his performance was awful. He has perfect foot control, nice fly kick. His main weakness is the roundhouse kick.
    Last edited by Heuristic; 12/05/2019 5:55pm, .

Leave a comment:

• Heuristic
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    It's supposed to be tied double in most organizations if it's that long. In Karate there's usually a double tie, in TKD usually a single.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Just my opinion but- awful.

Leave a comment:

• Heuristic
    replied
    As I get older pattern work has become my mainstay. I love patterns. I also love competition and still compete now after 25 years of martial arts. Proficiency in any art is a combination of all components within the syllabus. Sparring and competition will give a good indication of ability to fight when compared with a grading which is more a recap of what is required for a certain belt.

TAGB is accepted by neither ITF or WT yet is biggest in the UK than any other association.

I prefer sine wave which TAGB don’t prioritise but each to their own.
    I prefer knee spring over sign wave. SW is too exaggerated and soft for my liking.

Leave a comment:

• Heuristic
    replied
    Relative to the other ones? A grandmaster

Look at 2:10.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N10NcdoRXUA&t=135s

Now that's about as awful I've ever seen a simple forward direction punch

Leave a comment:

• gold_ax666
    replied
    Here's a TAGB guy, nowhere near elite but a solid performer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG0HcVwbRLo

Leave a comment:

• gold_ax666
    replied
    How do you weigh forms vs sparring ability? It's hard to argue against someone who can hang with black belts (assuming he doesn't just brawl) simply because his form is less good.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X