No announcement yet.

Bullshidos opinion on ITF TaeKwonDo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain to me why Taekwondo gets so much more shit than traditional Karate styles? The training is equally soft and kid friendly. And let's not go into the absolutely dreadful Karate point fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Heuristic View Post
      Wrong. It is Japanese jujitsu, meaning little to no groundgame submissions (unlike Judo and BJJ), just useless joint lock fluff and throws. Anybody who did Japanese jujitsu in the 80s will tell you that it has limited to no groundgame submissions. And Aikido is basically watered down Japanese jujitsu.
      Wrong. It is training methodology. TKD gets a bad rap from the way it is usually trained. Tag with no head knocking. Doesn't mean all TKD is crap. Just too much.

You ever work with any aikidoka who've solid skills in other martial arts? It's not all crap. Just another tool in the box.
      Last edited by hungryjoe; 11/06/2017 8:09pm, .
      Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

I have faced a dedicated Aikido guy who I simply lifted up and threw out of the ring. He had absolutely no weapons.

Comment

Can someone explain to me why Taekwondo gets so much more shit than traditional Karate styles?
          It doesn't.
          The training is equally soft and kid friendly.
          You are correct. 1 and 2 step sparring and compliant slappy tap fests and breaking boards all being complete with a KIA(P)! and armpit chambered reverse punch.
          And let's not go into the absolutely dreadful Karate point fighting.
          Any stop/start light contact game of tag is just a stop/start light contact game of tag. It doesn't matter what flag is flying at the All Ages Asian Themed Daycare Center and LARPing Academy.
          I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
          BILL HICKS,
          1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
          ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Lol. The sparring rules are kickboxing but maybe that's not a combat sport
            As an ITF blackbelt I would like to disagree with you.

Comment

Wrong. It is Japanese jujitsu, meaning little to no groundgame submissions (unlike Judo and BJJ),
              Japanese JuJitsu =JJJ. Which is what I said.
              just useless joint lock fluff and throws. Anybody who did Japanese jujitsu in the 80s will tell you that it has limited to no groundgame submissions.
              You're both wrong and right. There was a plethora of shitty JJJ in the 80's that is not what JJJ was about. Everything in Judo came from JJJ.
              And Aikido is basically watered down Japanese jujitsu.
              Shittily trained JJJ. Just like I said.
              I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
              BILL HICKS,
              1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
              ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

And I'm a red belt in ITF. The transition to WAKO Kickboxing rules is pretty smooth, as many ITF guys have shown.
                Last edited by Heuristic; 11/06/2017 8:58pm, .

Comment

Not true. The Karate bashing is not nearly as bad as against TKD. Now, I know plenty of TKD schools lack quality control but at the end of the day, kicking and punching can never be ineffective. My TKD school does NOT waste time on the flashy stuff at all. Is TKD the most effective? Hell no! But traditional Karate is just as bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                    As an ITF blackbelt I would like to disagree with you.
                    And I'm a red belt in ITF. The transition to WAKO Kickboxing rules is pretty smooth, as many ITF guys have shown.
                    I was worried, for a sec, that he wouldn't take the bait, and we'd have to lament Omega's transition to affability. Go get 'em, Omega!
                    Being correct on the Internet is orders of magnitude easier than being correct in the Universe. Perhaps we should all concentrate more on the latter...

Comment

Not true. The Karate bashing is not nearly as bad as against TKD.
                      Now, I know plenty of TKD schools lack quality control but at the end of the day, kicking and punching can never be ineffective.
                      I want you think about what you just said then ridgehand yourself in the throat for your crimes against reality and logic.
                      My TKD school does NOT waste time on the flashy stuff at all. Is TKD the most effective? Hell no! But traditional Karate is just as bad.
                      I am glad you haz teh re4l TKD. It is always refreshing to see such shining examples of Martial Excellency, this is of course dependant on a link to this awesome sauce barebones no nonsense TKD school. Preferably one with a gallery and some video.
                      BILL HICKS,
                      1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Not true. The Karate bashing is not nearly as bad as against TKD. Now, I know plenty of TKD schools lack quality control but at the end of the day, kicking and punching can never be ineffective. My TKD school does NOT waste time on the flashy stuff at all. Is TKD the most effective? Hell no! But traditional Karate is just as bad.
                          Wasting time on flashy stuff might not be common in your dojang but its very common in tkd. Definitely more so than karate in general. Lame strip mall daycare karate gets plenty of shit around here.

Comment

You can disagree all you want, you're still wrong.

Comment

Now that I'm done teaching for the night let me take the time to properly answer your dumbfuck of an answer. Seriously dude, your school may train a certain way (good for you if that's true) but that is not representative of all Taekwondo, let alone ITF Taekwondo. Are you seriously going to compare your red belt to my 2nd dan blackbelt? How stupid is that? I'm also a former professional kickboxer and currently own a mma gym that trains active fighters. How arrogant can you be?

If you want to open up a discussion then do it in constructive way, don't come in here thinking that you know what you're talking about. If you would have come in qualifying your remarks as something like

"My ITF style school uses kickboxing rules for sparring and we do fairly hard sparring, with focus mitt drills and not a lot of emphasis on forms..."

Comment

Wow, a Japanese ITF champion. Those Japans sure do dominate the ITF free fighting competitions... NOT.

One of many ITF fighter vs Muay Thai wins, in Muay Thai no less
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nHJGGscVdCo

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X