Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Koryu Uchinadi - A crock of spit or smth real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koryu Uchinadi - A crock of spit or smth real?

uh-huh...

Same vein of stuff I saw in the early '90s coming out of the no-touch knock-out crowd (Dillman, Lake, et al). SEcret grappling moves hidden in kata and all that.

Last edited by BKR; 10/27/2017 4:11pm, .
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Here you go, Pat McCarthy vs Bill Wallace (exhibition).

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

https://youtu.be/r0lKLQVBX2E
        Last edited by BJMills; 10/27/2017 4:30pm, .

Comment

The vids I've seen look better than your average strip mall karate, but that's not saying much.

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
            After a quick YouTube search I’m convinced Koryu Uchinadi is a combination of karate and hula dancing:

https://youtu.be/r0lKLQVBX2E
            The hips! everything comes from the hips!

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post

This does actually look like a quite well-rounded and practical training compared to other (esp. non-Okinawan) styles, although they do not seem to incorporate the takedowns and groundwork into actual sparring (which is a BIIIIIG no-no).

But yeah, the kata is like..."Look, I understood force generation comes from the hips! I show you! Like even more obviously! For the dumbasses not able to see the subtle movement in normal kata!"

Comment

Originally posted by Falenay View Post

although they do not seem to incorporate the takedowns and groundwork into actual sparring
                I did a short search on youtube and didn't find any "koryu uchinadi sparring" or "koryu uchinadi kumite" video, so I suspect that they don't incorporate sparring at all. I might be wrong.

Comment

I don't see what the fuss is about. Patrick McCarthy has been pretty clear that he made his own system, based on what he thinks was okinawan fighting systems at ca. the early 20th century, mixing in his experience in Chinese systems and ring experience. Yes it is kata based, but kata in the sense of two person drill. As far as I can tell his students move fairly ok, don't see much sparring though. Never got around trying it myself first hand, regrettably.

The 'trivial history shit ' is actually central to his system. He thinks that contemporary karate has diverged from the 'original okinawan ti', and this is his interpretation. There's not too much on the interwebs indeed, I think that's also because he treats his system as a business.

Try and see? That's what I'd do, if I had the opportunity. A proper training sessoin, not a seminar.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMR View Post
                    The hips! everything comes from the hips!
                    In all honesty I’d love to know the reasoning behind the hip wiggle. I’m not quite sure how it translates to a single solid rotation which.. if ever there was any use in doing a kata that would be it...

That and aerobic exercise. I knew a karate guy years ago who did all his kata every morning for excercise and it helped him drop a bunch of weight...

I’d rather go running or work a heavy bag but hell it worked for him.

Comment

isn't that hip wiggle something from shuri-te / shorin ryu?

Comment

Originally posted by Moenstah View Post
                        isn't that hip wiggle something from shuri-te / shorin ryu?
                        I think you’re right... anyone with any experience in either have an explanation for it?

Comment

koryu uchinadi

I think that's a style from the Tekken series

Comment

Re hip wiggle, move your hips first is a common bit of advice in BJJ.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X