Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self Defense decision (again ... grab the sticks Ill get the horse)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gropette View Post
    "Unfortunately" I live and Canada so carrying a gun is not an option.
    Unless you run your mouth you probably don't need to actually worry about self defence eh.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandem View Post
      You can get around the disadvantages by carrying a sword stick. Everyone thinks you're just a pimp with a cane until it's too late
      When I had my knee surgeries I immediately went and bought a sword cane.
      The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
        When I had my knee surgeries I immediately went and bought a sword cane.
        I recently went with a finely tapered hickory and brass cane... it is classy, legal everywhere, and a skull cracker.
        I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
        BILL HICKS,
        1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
        ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by Gropette View Post
          "Unfortunately" I live and Canada so carrying a gun is not an option.
          Whereabouts?

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMR View Post
            I think that there is a problem of half full/half empty glass here.

It is obvious that having a knife is a big advantage in a confrontation (putting aside ethical concerns), just think how difficult is to hurt seriously someone with a punch VS how difficult with a sharp blade.
            Now if what you want is to be 100% sure to be able to defeat anyone if you have a knife, this is more difficult.
            the biggest problem i see when weapons are involved in MA training is that people usually disregard the other party's potential and capabilities aka what he can do to you, instead focusing on what you can do to him.

most instructors focus on the badassery you'll get learning his system and not on how and why the perp will gut/shoot you.

let's put it this way: most assume that the perp is stupid enough to attack you even though you have a weapon. in training, the perp can't weigh the pros and cons, but in real life it's the vulnerable that gets attacked. by securing all the advatages they can get, they increase your vulnerability level and thus increasing their chances of success. if one's so goddamn badass like a porcupine and it's easy to stick your quills into the perp (ethikos' previous statement reworded), why would someone attack them then?

Comment

Boxing goes very well with BJJ. Arnis is very, very hard to find, but if you can real FMA's are absolutely devastating. BJJ is much easier to find. Boxing will fix the problems in BJJ, and Gracie JJ is much more focused upon self defense than sport BJJ.

I recommend a 1 year 3 day a week commitment to BJJ.

Real Krav is good, but 95% I have seen is watered down Garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
                I can tell you stick and knife is hard on the knees also. I had to have surgery on my right knee for a torn ACL and meniscus tendon removal. But to be fair, that was when I was doing full contact sparring and the knee was actually injured when I was in the lock down position in half mount and was trying to pass. But I've done wrestling and stick fighting after my surgery and both are as hard on my knee as the other. Wrestling mostly when doing penetration steps to achieve takedowns. But when I fight off my back there are no knee issues. When doing BJJ as long as I have a knee pad on, no issues. Depending on what your knee issue is, I would go with BJJ.

Oh and my answer to the reason to train in stick and knife fighting is because it's fun. I don't carry a knife, I carry a gun. But I have sticks planted all over my house and car and would be very confident fighting anyone with a stick unless they had a gun. Empty hands vs stick, knife vs stick, stick vs stick I would gladly participate in.
                I carry both gun and blade. They regulate batons heavily here in Tx, otherwise I would carry. If I were LE I would carry everything I could, gun, blade, baton, spray, taser. I would also get fired, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by preschol View Post
                  I carry both gun and blade. They regulate batons heavily here in Tx, otherwise I would carry. If I were LE I would carry everything I could, gun, blade, baton, spray, taser. I would also get fired, lol.
                  It has been establish that you are a paranoid fool and a troll.
                  I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                  BILL HICKS,
                  1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                  ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
                    It has been establish that you are a paranoid fool and a troll.
                    I am glad we cleared that up. I did troll and embarrass you, that is for certain. I have no need to do so any further, how about staying OT.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gropette;2945970]Hi folks,

which of the following art would you take(one) to compliment boxing:

Define spending too much time on the ground. Boxing is awesome, but without Judo and Wrestling chances are good you will end up on the ground. You may get a quick KO, you may not. Here is what I say: Ground fighting is 20% of fighting. Unless you are on the ground, then it is 100% of fighting. One solid year of BJJ should give you what you need. roll with higher belts and your knees should be fine.

Comment

I am glad we cleared that up. I did troll and embarrass you, that is for certain. I have no need to do so any further, how about staying OT.
                        Warning new posters of your lies and bullshit is definitely on topic.

So New Posters : None of his MA experiences, stories, or history have been verified but plenty of his lies have been proven to be lies. His "I am/was just trolling" was a lie told after he was called out and proven to be a liar.

*edit* and you have only embarrassed yourself with your antics and lies buddy.
                        Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 9/07/2017 7:48pm, . Reason: spelling, verb tense and added note
                        BILL HICKS,
                        1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

We know it's you, 1bad. Keep up..

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X