Yanagi-Ryu Succession Technical YMAS discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David Burns
    One time knocked on my back and frontal choked by a cage fighter twice my size. Overpowering him was not an option, but I was able to use subtle positioning techniques that kept my neck undamaged and my airway unable to be closed off by his thumbs.
    The way he described it I pictured a "standing Homer Simpson" choke but with the thumbs pointing directly into the trachea, with a thrusting action.

Comment

Originally posted by David Burns View Post
      Actually I checked a few different sources including Japanese sources and even the Japanese sources did not produce the word soke other than the same definition that was used in middle English. Some Japanese dictionaries didn't even contain that word at all. Just because it is expressed in kanji doesn't mean that it originated in Japan. My guess is that most of Japanese culture originated outside of Japan, including kanji.
      I posted a link to a article (with sources/footnotes) about Sōke (宗家)...

So, you had no idea about the word "soke" in English (understandable, I didn't either) or "Sōke (宗家)", which I did have a fair amount of previous knowledge regarding, yet you studied for years with a top student of Mr. Angier (both now deceased, RIP).

Read the article about Sōke (宗家) I posted.

At this point, I do not think you have trained at all in SYR. You don't care, I know, so keep on making a general fool of yourself here.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
        I would bet my fucking house I could but him out in 10 seconds.
        I considered mentioning you by name, as a gambler and someone who knows a thing or two about choking people.

Comment

If you are referring to my use of the word "flex" then I understand the confusion. I was not saying it with the definition like flexing your biceps by tightening them, but flex as in "bending." In that arched neck position the esophagus sort of bends back a little.
          That's funny cause I have heard the flex your neck bit spoken by a lot of Aikido and JJJ people who were clueless about the martial side of their martial art... and they meant it literally and described it just as you have before your story started to mutate.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMR View Post
            The way he described it I pictured a "standing Homer Simpson" choke but with the thumbs pointing directly into the trachea, with a thrusting action.
            It really doesn't matter what kind of choking was happening. I did what I was taught and it helped and I appreciated it. My sensei was a Vietnam veteran who's back was broken at war and reinforced with a metal rod. He taught me a little bit of a lot of things, and I never claimed proficiency at any one thing. Because of his back issues there was a lot of limitations of what could be taught or practiced. Most of what I learned from him has been helpful to me in a variety of ways throughout my life. I hope you all will respect him for his value as a veteran and as a friend to those who cared for him. He had been overlooked by society and his own family and only 3 of us people stood by him faithfully to care for his needs and give him a sense of purpose. My contribution was to make sure he had a steady source for physical therapy and he showed his appreciation by teaching me whatever he had the ability to teach. For those of you with messed up backs or grumpy lives or sit around in your stuffy chairs all day long with nothing nice to say, I think you probably appreciate the people who give you a friendly bit of attention, so be happy for him that he had someone in his life who appreciated him and made sure he knew it.

As far as this thread goes, I have had fun communicating with you all. I am glad to have provided you with myself for you to spit on for a few days so you could have some entertainment, but my vacation is over and I need to return back to my boring real life. Thanks for all the excitement ;)

Comment

As far as this thread goes, I have had fun communicating with you all. I am glad to have provided you with myself for you to spit on for a few days so you could have some entertainment, but my vacation is over and I need to return back to my boring real life. Thanks for all the excitement ;)
              LOL
              Your vacation ends on a Friday.

You may believe everything other people tell you without a thought and without evidence, as your words have shown, but I think you would be a better liar and a much better person if you liberally applied some skepticism to your life in small, firm, counterclockwise circles to your sore spots. Who knows you may even get to a point in your life when you don't have to play word twister to protect your world view.

Comment

Well, school is starting back up.

Good lord, you are a MABS cliche from 2008.

Comment

My guess is that most of Japanese culture originated outside of Japan, including kanji.
                  Koreans invented everything. It is known, Khalessi.

Comment

It really doesn't matter what kind of choking was happening. I did what I was taught and it helped and I appreciated it. My sensei was a Vietnam veteran who's back was broken at war and reinforced with a metal rod. He taught me a little bit of a lot of things, and I never claimed proficiency at any one thing. Because of his back issues there was a lot of limitations of what could be taught or practiced. Most of what I learned from him has been helpful to me in a variety of ways throughout my life. I hope you all will respect him for his value as a veteran and as a friend to those who cared for him. He had been overlooked by society and his own family and only 3 of us people stood by him faithfully to care for his needs and give him a sense of purpose. My contribution was to make sure he had a steady source for physical therapy and he showed his appreciation by teaching me whatever he had the ability to teach. For those of you with messed up backs or grumpy lives or sit around in your stuffy chairs all day long with nothing nice to say, I think you probably appreciate the people who give you a friendly bit of attention, so be happy for him that he had someone in his life who appreciated him and made sure he knew it.

Ah yes, the old, 'he was a good person,' defense to shit martial arts.

IIRC he used the machine gun defense earlier to, as in all martial arts are useless against a machine gun so what does it matter?

That one seems to be especially popular with the aiki bunny crowd. They must all be in Iraq... fighting... with their aikido skills... and machine guns.

Not to mention he never got around to replying to my underground cage fighting in LA callout. Wonder why?

Comment

Damn. Never got to discuss wiggling your ears to increase blood flow to the brain as a counter to a blood choke.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X