X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cualltaigh
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    I hope they eventually add in additional training to deal with the second punch and various leg kicks/takedowns...

Strikers, correct me if I'm wrong.
    I am by far not our gym's most competent striker, but I reckon if someone was moving around they way they were at 1:00 I could turn it into a ground fight with a single leg kick.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Moenstah View Post
    1) why the fuck did they have to be Dutch

2) that doesn't look like aiki jutsu at all, that's systema influenced stuff

3) that org is basically a recent invention based on koryu schools, as per their website
    Because they are Dutch?

Leave a comment:

• Moenstah
    replied
    I found this while chasing down links from the Yangi Ryu thread/Don Angier thread necro.

I hope they eventually add in additional training to deal with the second punch and various leg kicks/takedowns...

Strikers, correct me if I'm wrong.

1) why the fuck did they have to be Dutch

2) that doesn't look like aiki jutsu at all, that's systema influenced stuff

3) that org is basically a recent invention based on koryu schools, as per their website

Leave a comment:

• baby_cart
    replied
    Originally posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Been busy! Did undergrad at Park university! How has bullshido been?
    you have been missing on a lot of bicep curls and other stuff:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=126545

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Same old same BS !

Leave a comment:

• 3moose1
    replied
    Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    Its nice to see someone with some sense around here again. You should hang out more often.
    heart react.

Leave a comment:

• 3moose1
    replied
    Moosey, what's up ? Long time no see here for sure.

Get into a POST academy?

Never mind, see you are in law school now. Where did you get your undergraduate degree?

Leave a comment:

• BackFistMonkey
    replied
    This looks perfectly fine. You clearly don't know anything about martial arts and have brought great dishonor upon yourself and this website.
    Its nice to see someone with some sense around here again. You should hang out more often.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    This looks perfectly fine. You clearly don't know anything about martial arts and have brought great dishonor upon yourself and this website.
    Moosey, what's up ? Long time no see here for sure.

Get into a POST academy?

Never mind, see you are in law school now. Where did you get your undergraduate degree?

Leave a comment:

• 3moose1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MisterMR
    replied
    It seems to me that from 7:11 ("now punch harder!") onwards when the blondie punches, he first slightly touches the hand that is going to punch (I suspect in order to tell the other guy from where the punch is coming).

Why are they blocking the legs? Well in my case, when someone attacks me continuously, even if I know I should move laterally, I tend to move backwards (so the other guy charges in and ultimately gets me). I see the "move backward" thing as the striking arts equivalent of stiff arms in judo.
    Maybe they're just doing a "dodge without moving backwards" drill.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    The World: man, aikido and wing chun are ridiculously bad! You couldn't come up with a worse martial art if you tried!

Aikijujutsu: HOLD MY BEER

Leave a comment:

• Bar Humbug
    replied
    I'm guessing boxers do head movement (bob/weave/etc) drills but don't leave themselves open to get walloped by the other hand.
    I just let my sparring partners punch me in the head, sooner or later they get tired and I'm fresh... Also where are my car keys?
    Where am I?
    Who am I?

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    I think I'd be interested in the drills these guys do to train head movement avoiding strikes plus counter-striking.

Like boxing drills all over the Interwebz...

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    What do they think they are doing ?
    You tell me, my striking knowledge was mostly learned on bullshido.net.

In terms of pedagogy, I think they are doing a sort of an isolation drill to focus on upper body and head movement. You pin the feet down so you can't move your entire body to respond to the strike. That in itself may not be a bad thing.

I know, my MSc. in Obviousology is showing again.

The problem is they appear to be doing other stuff wrong, and repeating it over and over again (ignoring covering against another punch).

I suppose one could argue that they are super-isolating versus one punch, but that's like learning how to avoid a front triangle choke by giving up the armbar...you have to unlearn the first shit to deal with the second.

I'm guessing boxers do head movement (bob/weave/etc) drills but don't leave themselves open to get walloped by the other hand.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X