Cobra Kai: The Series (?!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I already have Netflix, Amazon, etc. It's just another nickel and dime extortion effort by yet another greedy company. The whole pay for each network individually crap is getting old, especially just for a shitty reboot of a movie that I thought was horrible to begin with.
    Because this is the a-la-carte that "we" always wanted, you pick your "channel," and pay for it; no more $150/month cable bills with 800 channels that you don't even watch.
    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
      Because this is the a-la-carte that "we" always wanted, you pick your "channel," and pay for it; no more $150/month cable bills with 800 channels that you don't even watch.
      It would work if only the cable companies didn't still monopolize the ISP market. But it seems like for now they want you to do both at the same time. Either way it will take more than a show about poorly executed karate staring two aging not really martial artists to get my money.

Comment

I don’t have youtube red. But I’ll probably use my free trial when the show airs. Looks entertaining, and IIRC when they announced it they said it would be more comedic than serious. Which makes it more appealing to me.

Comment

I find myself really hoping - in the current social climate - that the writers don't mess too much with the ethos of the original film. Under Mr. Kreese, the Cobra Kai trained bullies to be more effective bullies. If the story is Johnny Lawrence's redemption arc via rehabilitating the Cobra Kai itself - maybe with help from Daniel LaRusso - then I'm on board.
          Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

Comment

Originally posted by DdlR View Post
            I find myself really hoping - in the current social climate - that the writers don't mess too much with the ethos of the original film. Under Mr. Kreese, the Cobra Kai trained bullies to be more effective bullies. If the story is Johnny Lawrence's redemption arc via rehabilitating the Cobra Kai itself - maybe with help from Daniel LaRusso - then I'm on board.
            LaRusso will end up screwing Johnny on the sale of a car. Johnny will drive car through dealership resulting in ....insert cliche here......

Subsequent movies will have the plot depth of Halloween or Chucky sequels.

wax on, wax straight to rental
            Last edited by hungryjoe; 3/28/2018 8:47pm, .
            Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

No, but I'm not sure which state allows "no mercy" as a self-defense. Teaching students to attack downed opponents is a great way to prepare them for a career as inmates.
              Johnny displayed some resistance to the 'no mercy' concept. Could have turned out worse with a mentor like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Guird View Post
                Johnny displayed some resistance to the 'no mercy' concept. Could have turned out worse with a mentor like that.
                True, but he was still an asshat. Having someone who is a massive dick end up down on their luck later on seems a lot like sleeping in the bed you made to me. The consequences of making most people despise are that most people will in fact despise you. The only reason anyone on this board is defending him is because they want to legitimize their own dickish behavior. They want to act like they're somehow the victims for acting like cunts.

Comment

True, but he was still an asshat. Having someone who is a massive dick end up down on their luck later on seems a lot like sleeping in the bed you made to me. The consequences of making most people despise are that most people will in fact despise you. The only reason anyone on this board is defending him is because they want to legitimize their own dickish behavior. They want to act like they're somehow the victims for acting like cunts.
                  Being an asshat when you are a teen, that is most of society. Being an asshat when you are a senior in high school... Well I know few people that weren't. Does a person deserve to be down on their luck 30yrs later for that? I certainly hope not. Since the US embraced the extended adolescence that comes with sending every kind to college, most don't grow up and act their age until their mid twenties at least. Honestly i think the real loser is the guy who despite actual life success in owning his own business, still tries to live in the glory of an oversized martial arts trophy and the win it represented some 30yrs before. Just saying.
                  Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                    Being an asshat when you are a teen, that is most of society. Being an asshat when you are a senior in high school... Well I know few people that weren't. Does a person deserve to be down on their luck 30yrs later for that? I certainly hope not. Since the US embraced the extended adolescence that comes with sending every kind to college, most don't grow up and act their age until their mid twenties at least. Honestly i think the real loser is the guy who despite actual life success in owning his own business, still tries to live in the glory of an oversized martial arts trophy and the win it represented some 30yrs before. Just saying.
                    To extend this further, the final scene in the movie has the villian exclaiming "you're all right, Larusso", and hints Johnny came around to the idea that maybe it was all adolescent fuckery.

Comment

Isn't John Kreese still around? Last I saw he was mates with Silva & Machida, and supported his Karate student in fighting a murderous cagefighting champion in an uneven bout that even catchweight would be out of the question.

Comment

Eight episodes in and this series is exactly what I hoped it was going to be. The original Karate Kid movie meant a lot to me growing up, and clearly it did to the Cobra Kai writers and directors as well. Can't wait to see what happens next ...
                        Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

Comment

Eight episodes in and this series is exactly what I hoped it was going to be. The original Karate Kid movie meant a lot to me growing up, and clearly it did to the Cobra Kai writers and directors as well. Can't wait to see what happens next ...
                          Any streaming sites have it?

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                            Any streaming sites have it?
                            You can watch the first two episodes free on YouTube and the rest of the series by joining YouTube Red on a free trial basis, which is what we did. I doubt that we'll keep the subscription after finishing Cobra Kai, so effectively the whole thing is available free.

Comment

You can watch the first two episodes free on YouTube and the rest of the series by joining YouTube Red on a free trial basis, which is what we did. I doubt that we'll keep the subscription after finishing Cobra Kai, so effectively the whole thing is available free.
                              Now you are talking my language. Hopefully it isn't blocked in my country.

Comment

Yeah, YouTube Red isn't available in my country, so back to hunting for streaming sites.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X