Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instructors: Post your best/worst student stories here

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Instructors: Post your best/worst student stories here

    Tonight, it was getting close to water break time. I decided that since we didn't have that many people in class, we would send one person to go get water at a time. The rest would do burpies. When the first kid got back, he would join the burpies and the next kid would go. This seemed like a good way to kill two birds with one stone as we were behind schedule.

    Everyone liked the idea until the first kid stopped at the bathroom on the way back to take a dump. When he wasn't back after a little more than a minute (short trip around the corner to the water fountain), I sent the next kid out for water and told him to tell the other student to hurry up. The second kid didn't see the first one by the fountain or walking back from it, so he went looking all over the building for his classmate.

    Yeah, I wont be doing that exercise again.

    #2
    Originally posted by omoplatypus View Post
    Tonight, it was getting close to water break time. I decided that since we didn't have that many people in class, we would send one person to go get water at a time. The rest would do burpies. When the first kid got back, he would join the burpies and the next kid would go. This seemed like a good way to kill two birds with one stone as we were behind schedule.

    Everyone liked the idea until the first kid stopped at the bathroom on the way back to take a dump. When he wasn't back after a little more than a minute (short trip around the corner to the water fountain), I sent the next kid out for water and told him to tell the other student to hurry up. The second kid didn't see the first one by the fountain or walking back from it, so he went looking all over the building for his classmate.

    Yeah, I wont be doing that exercise again.
    They should all bring water bottles so they do not have to line up at the water fountain. That's the way I do it. Plus, water break takes no longer than one minute. Get a drink, and step back on the tatami. It's hydration, not a rest break.

    That would vary based on how old the kids are, of course. Prepubescent kids get overheated easily (don't sweat much) and may need more frequent/longer breaks.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

    "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

    "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

    "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by BKR View Post
      They should all bring water bottles so they do not have to line up at the water fountain. That's the way I do it. Plus, water break takes no longer than one minute. Get a drink, and step back on the tatami. It's hydration, not a rest break.

      That would vary based on how old the kids are, of course. Prepubescent kids get overheated easily (don't sweat much) and may need more frequent/longer breaks.
      Because it's summer break, all students train in the same class since half of my club is on trips at any given point. So, I had a lot of little kids. I thought this would be a good team building exercise. Hydrate, but remember your fellow students are working their butts off while you sip water.

      Yeah, not doing it again.

      Comment


        #4
        I've taught my wife some self defense techniques over the years. As time went on, we became pretty casual and playful about it. We sort of play a gentle game of "Inspector Clouseau and Kato".

        One day, I leapt out at her and she punched me in the throat. It wasn't much of a punch, really; more like she stiff-armed me in the Adam's apple with her fist. However, I stopped dead in my tracks with that classic gagging sound from the movies when some mook gets jabbed in the throat.

        It was a proud moment.

        Comment


          #5
          This was entirely my fault but one time back when I was teaching Aikido I accidentally punched a kid in the nose.

          Comment


            #6
            Worst student was a gawky young woman who started turning up when I was pro-wrestling back in the 1980s. Our training took place in a great old-school wrestling gym and was supposed to be private, but she found out about the workouts somehow.

            She claimed to want to be a wrestler and was clearly a major WWE fangirl (only it was still called the WWF in those days). The other guys ignored her, but I'm a compulsive teacher and tried to help her out. There was, however, no point. She'd look at me as if I'd just threatened her life, mutter "yes ... yes ..." and then not do whatever it was I'd just said to do. After a few sessions I gave her an ultimatum; stand in front of the mirror and do bicep curls with light dumbbells until you break a sweat. "Yes ... yes ..." she said, and then put the dumbbells down and wandered off. At that point, I stopped trying to help and she never returned.

            Looking back, I'm pretty sure that lady had problems that no amount of pro-wrestling training was likely to fix.
            Check out the Bullshido.net Western Martial Arts Forum for all things Western, martial and arty.

            Bartitsu: the Gentlemanly Art of Self Defence (est. 1899)

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Mandem View Post
              This was entirely my fault but one time back when I was teaching Aikido I accidentally punched a kid in the nose.
              Aren't mishaps like this at least somewhat common? I just take for granted that the unintentional "bumps and bruises" are part of the proverbial package, given the constant physical contact.

              I took a Thai boxing style kick to my shin about three weeks ago, as the result of a failed sweep.

              I let out an instinctual growl as I glared at my partner with a equal parts pain, anger and betrayal. I could tell instantly by the look on his face that it was unintentional and that he felt really bad about having dealt that shot.

              Comment


                #8
                I guess it depends on what you mean by best student.

                They're the ones who could just watch you do something and practically perfectly imitate you.

                As a coach you have to realize that their success has nothing to do with your coaching other than being able to correctly demonstrate a technique.

                Then there are the ones who are mediocre-at-best and athletic ability but always come to practice and always try and do what you ask them to do. Eventually if they stick with it they get pretty good at Judo. Nothing spectacular just pretty good.
                Falling for Judo since 1980

                "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

                "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

                "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by BKR View Post
                  I guess it depends on what you mean by best student.

                  They're the ones who could just watch you do something and practically perfectly imitate you.

                  As a coach you have to realize that their success has nothing to do with your coaching other than being able to correctly demonstrate a technique.

                  Then there are the ones who are mediocre-at-best and athletic ability but always come to practice and always try and do what you ask them to do. Eventually if they stick with it they get pretty good at Judo. Nothing spectacular just pretty good.
                  I meant best stories about students, not stories about your best students.

                  Sorry for confusion

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
                    Aren't mishaps like this at least somewhat common? I just take for granted that the unintentional "bumps and bruises" are part of the proverbial package, given the constant physical contact.

                    I took a Thai boxing style kick to my shin about three weeks ago, as the result of a failed sweep.

                    I let out an instinctual growl as I glared at my partner with a equal parts pain, anger and betrayal. I could tell instantly by the look on his face that it was unintentional and that he felt really bad about having dealt that shot.
                    I have been teaching foot sweeps lately. Which means all my students are trying them on me in sparring. ..... which often times just means they just kick me in the shin .... . A lot. I have a egg on my shin the size if a baseball right now.
                    The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                      I have been teaching foot sweeps lately. Which means all my students are trying them on me in sparring. ..... which often times just means they just kick me in the shin .... . A lot. I have a egg on my shin the size if a baseball right now.
                      We shall know your skill in teaching the footsweeps when your students start taking you down with them, despite your own best efforts to be the one taking them down.
                      I hope they take you down with the footsweeps soon, and well.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by omoplatypus View Post
                        I meant best stories about students, not stories about your best students.

                        Sorry for confusion
                        A Tilted Kilt waitress who I use to flirt with every night when I finished training Bjj at like 1 am ended up coming into train eventually. Now 8 years later, She is my wife, won a bunch of tourneys, about to be a brown belt and have my baby in a few months.
                        The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                          I have been teaching foot sweeps lately. Which means all my students are trying them on me in sparring. ..... which often times just means they just kick me in the shin .... . A lot. I have a egg on my shin the size if a baseball right now.
                          That is like me teaching berimbolo...
                          Falling for Judo since 1980

                          "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

                          "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

                          "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by BKR View Post
                            That is like me teaching berimbolo...
                            Can you brembolo? I am actually quite good at foot sweeps.
                            The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                              Can you brembolo? I am actually quite good at foot sweeps.
                              Sure...

                              Judo Shiai calling your name...
                              Falling for Judo since 1980

                              "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

                              "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

                              "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X