Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instructors: Post your best/worst student stories here

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    Sure...

    Judo Shiai calling your name...
    There's one in sept. I would like to go to. I am working getting rank tested so I can use subs.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
      There's one in sept. I would like to go to. I am working getting rank tested so I can use subs.
      Perfect !

      Rules make s u re you get the rules.

      Comment


        #18
        I wish I could berimbolo...

        I think I'll drill it with my sempai before next class. I had forgotten it was a thing.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by omoplatypus View Post
          I wish I could berimbolo...

          I think I'll drill it with my sempai before next class. I had forgotten it was a thing.
          Side plus back shoulder roll.

          My shoulders don't like the side ones.

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
            I have been teaching foot sweeps lately. Which means all my students are trying them on me in sparring. ..... which often times just means they just kick me in the shin .... . A lot. I have a egg on my shin the size if a baseball right now.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	19396667_1170035219808300_6799719787630790542_n.jpg
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	4330262

            This is what I got when I was teaching sacrifice throws to my students.

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by omoplatypus View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]17491[/ATTACH]

              This is what I got when I was teaching sacrifice throws to my students.
              I feel like that deserves more of an explanation.
              How did a sacrifice throw turn into a Thai boxing style attack?

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                I feel like that deserves more of an explanation.
                How did a sacrifice throw turn into a Thai boxing style attack?
                I'm guessing that his leg got tangled up and ripped his ankle joint and or muscles in his calf. Tani Otoshi will do that to a fellow if done incorrectly, even once.

                Uki/Yoko Otoshi can do the same if you catch the foot and pin it to the ground.

                And then there is Yoko Gake...
                Last edited by BKR; 8/08/2017 11:36am, .

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by BKR View Post
                  I'm guessing that his leg got tangled up and ripped his ankle joint and or muscles in his calf. Tani Otoshi will do that to a fellow if done incorrectly, even once.

                  Uki/Yoko Otoshi can do the same if you catch the foot and pin it to the ground.

                  And then there is Yoko Gake...
                  And fuck Yoko Gake... Just FUCK that throw.

                  I have seen more heads hit the mat with that throw than with Sode Tsurikomi Goshi. It is REALLY a hard fall if done at speed.

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by AcerTempest View Post
                    And fuck Yoko Gake... Just FUCK that throw.

                    I have seen more heads hit the mat with that throw than with Sode Tsurikomi Goshi. It is REALLY a hard fall if done at speed.
                    Yoko Gake is not for the faint of heart, poor of ukemi, or low-control tori...for sure...

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by AcerTempest View Post
                      And fuck Yoko Gake... Just FUCK that throw.

                      I have seen more heads hit the mat with that throw than with Sode Tsurikomi Goshi. It is REALLY a hard fall if done at speed.
                      Unfortunately I just bounced a student/high purple off the ground with a similar throw. He landed shoulder first.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        And the most difficult part of the ukemi is, from my experience competing in Nage no Kata, is having a Tori that understands commitment. No half-assed jerky movements allowed in throws. Sensei Bregman always used to say: "You can be fast, or you can be slow, but you CANNOT be half-assed!"

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                          Unfortunately I just bounced a student/high purple off the ground with a similar throw. He landed shoulder first.
                          Low control tori no doubt...

                          Hopefully his shoulder survived intact.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by BKR View Post
                            Low control tori no doubt...

                            Hopefully his shoulder survived intact.
                            We'll see. Unfortunately everything was text book during the throw...... except his ukemi. Generally speaking jiu-jitsu guys fall nice because we don't try to block the throw so hard we land and break something. He resisted until his feet betrayed him.....

                            I hit a uki otoshi variant where I fall on to my left hip and roll over into mount. Unfortunately he splatted.
                            Last edited by Raycetpfl; 8/08/2017 4:14pm, .

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                              We'll see. Unfortunately everything was text book during the throw...... except his ukemi. Generally speaking jiu-jitsu guys fall nice because we don't try to block the throw so hard we land and break something. He resisted until his feet betrayed him.....

                              I hit a uki otoshi variant where I fall on to my left hip and roll over into mount. Unfortunately he splatted.
                              That's a tough fall unless the person practices it. Even my teen judo students, who have been doing rolling ukemi for a few years, have to get some special training and attention for it. Tori has to be careful as well, as you can splat uke if you want to, and there isn't much uke can do about it.

                              Not saying you did that, the fall isn't necessarily an easy on if tori follows through tightly to mount, or if uke resists strongly as you suggest.

                              Taking some ukemi is the same as tapping early and often...

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by BKR View Post

                                Taking some ukemi is the same as tapping early and often...
                                He's a solid grappler but mistakes are sometimes painful.

                                I Was trying to instruct how to do tani othoshi while sparring a student. After he failed to take me down with it a few times in a row from the proper position one time a while back .... I lossened up to tell him ,"slide diagonally to the rear....." just as I was half way through my sentence he cannon balled into my legs and popped my MCL.

                                shit definitely goes south sometimes.

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X