Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strength and weight: How an untrained 42 year old allegedly choked out a purple belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baby_cart
    replied
    it's highly possible, if there's a 100lbs disparity and the roll has been going on a few rounds.

once seen a nearly-300 lbs no-stripe white belt almost submit a brown. it took our main instructor to handle him for a few rounds of rolling. both came out winded, obviously.

Leave a comment:

• MisterMR
    replied
    Originally posted by ksennin View Post
    The one with the real footwork?
    The one that is correctly rooted with the weight that is correctly disposed through the spinal chackras.

Footwork is ok in combat sports, but you can't use in a real fight because either the ground is full of obstacles, caltrops etc., so it's too dangerous to move around lightly, or either if there are no obstacles you opponent will be a BJJer and butt-flop immediately, making your footwork useless.

Leave a comment:

• ksennin
    replied
    The one with the real footwork?

Leave a comment:

• Ulsteryank
    replied
    Of course it makes a difference, but to get this straight, this isn't a guy getting clipped, hulk slammed, taking it easy and being caught in your fella's "move," but an untrained nasty getting off the sofa and gi choking a purple belt? Shiiiiiite!

Leave a comment:

• Sam Losco
    replied
    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    I actually led a Troop of Moutain Gorillas for a few years after defeating their then Silverback in single combat. After a few years I was usurped by a challenger. I asked for a rematch in the Gi but he refused. Those folks were the only vegans I have ever met that weren't complete tools........ believe me.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Losco
    replied
    Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
    The same powerlifter also beat Jeff Monson.

Powerlifting is better than BJJ.

Leave a comment:

• BackFistMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ comps should give out cows... so should boxing.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Size and strength didn't seem to play so well for this bloke:
    That's just stupid if it wasn't some sort of silly marketing video (as in the whole thing was scripted).

Control the guy, call the cops, show them the video...

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    That dude was using a performance-enhancing Gi. It was stitched together with unicorn hair.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Tzadok
    replied

Leave a comment:

• liquid engineer
    replied
    I know dude so am I, was just trying to be funny and failing.

An interesting caveat to all this is that according to him the purple belt was around 170lbs - so not even that skinny. I guess in his twisted mind those 30lbs are around the make or break territory - or in this case the snap or nap

Leave a comment:

• MisterMR
    replied
    Wait, I weigh 96Kg that correspond to 211,644lbs (I just checked on Google).

Does it mean that I can choke all the BJJ purple belts I want? That would be cool!
    Or does it work only for those BJJ purple belts under, say, 140lbs?
    Or does the fact that I do judo disqualify me from this and as a consequence I would be choked by 205lbs unexperienced guys by default?

My guess is that the unexperienced guy probably choked the jaw of the BJJ guy, as unexperienced guys often can't tell the difference (in my experience unexperienced guys are not really able to choke).

PS, to the OP: vegetarians aren't necessariously light, I'm a vegetarian for example.
    Last edited by MisterMR; 7/24/2017 9:35am, . Reason: grammar check

Leave a comment:

• BJMills
    replied
    I believe. Also, Gorillas really don't like grappling in a gi.

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    Originally posted by BJMills View Post
    I totally choked out a literal 800lb gorilla with is own gi when I was on safari. Jane Goodall has the video but I doubt she'll share it.
    I actually led a Troop of Moutain Gorillas for a few years after defeating their then Silverback in single combat. After a few years I was usurped by a challenger. I asked for a rematch in the Gi but he refused. Those folks were the only vegans I have ever met that weren't complete tools........ believe me.

Leave a comment:

• BJMills
    replied
    I totally choked out a literal 800lb gorilla with is own gi when I was on safari. Jane Goodall has the video but I doubt she'll share it.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X