Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opening a new MMA School

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Let me give you an example, using my resume, as to how to present yourself Nathan:

    Martial Arts:
    Judo 1st degree black belt - given by XXXXX on XX-XX-XXXX
    Brazilian Jujitsu blue belt - given by XXXXX on XX-XX-XXXX
    MMA Cutman/athletic trainer for team XXXXX from XXXX to XXXX
    Tae Kwon Do 1st degree black belt - given by XXXX on XX-XX-XXXX
    MMA training at team XXXX from XX-XX-XXXX until XX-XX-XXX

    Teaching Experience:
    Master's Certificate in secondary special education from XXXX University awarded on XX-XXXX
    Instructor with XXXXXX Karate/Tae Kwon Do from XX-XXXX to XX-XXXX
    Instructor with XXXXXX Judo from XX-XXXX until present
    Special education teacher at XXXXX charter school from XX-XXXX until XX-XXXX, specializing in profound autism
    Summer camp archery and karate (TKD) instructor with camp XXXXXXX for the summers of XXXX-XXXX
    Vacation Bible School PE/games instructor at XXXXX from XXXX-until present (summers only)
    Licensed Minister with XXXXXXX, specializing in correctional facility/addictions chaplaincy

    My background checks are kept current through the XXXXX state child and family welfare registry (free to view online). I also keep my background check with the XXXXX state highway patrol current, and is available upon request. I have other qualifications. Feel free to ask about specifics of my listed qualifications if need be.


    With all that, how do I go about starting a family oriented martial arts school that won't drive me into the poor house? I would like to teach both Tae Kwon Do and Judo.

    See how easy that is? Why don't you start over using something like this. And yes, this is a portion of my own CV/resume, redacted.

    Comment


      #47
      Everyone who had a couple of years of classes in assorted martial arts thinks that is qualification enough to teach MMA. Since MMA is a rather non-specific term, people will determine legitimate qualifications from competition record or/and the verifiable rank achieved in certified martial arts like BJJ.

      I have yet to meet a legitimate practitioner of BJJ who would not be proud to name his instructor or assert his rank. Not naming an instructor is a big red flag.

      Of course, a lot of people have some grappling training in MMA gyms that includes standard BJJ techniques but that does not mean it IS BJJ.

      I am a karate guy and have been cross-training with BJJ people for many years. Yet I would not call myself even a high level white. Blue belts destroy me with ease and laugh afterwards at the silly old karate guy who tries to hang there. Sure, I can teach some stuff informally to other karate guys or MMA guys, but it will likely be mostly crappling, and it would be dishonest to say it was really BJJ in ANY way. A legitimate art is more than just an aggregation of moves one manages to pick here and there.

      So if the OP has some BJJ-related grappling experience, advertise the prospective teaching as grappling, but respect the actual art of BJJ by not misrepresenting it.

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by omoplatypus View Post
        Let me give you an example, using my resume, as to how to present yourself Nathan:

        Martial Arts:
        Judo 1st degree black belt - given by XXXXX on XX-XX-XXXX
        Brazilian Jujitsu blue belt - given by XXXXX on XX-XX-XXXX
        MMA Cutman/athletic trainer for team XXXXX from XXXX to XXXX
        Tae Kwon Do 1st degree black belt - given by XXXX on XX-XX-XXXX
        MMA training at team XXXX from XX-XX-XXXX until XX-XX-XXX

        Teaching Experience:
        Master's Certificate in secondary special education from XXXX University awarded on XX-XXXX
        Instructor with XXXXXX Karate/Tae Kwon Do from XX-XXXX to XX-XXXX
        Instructor with XXXXXX Judo from XX-XXXX until present
        Special education teacher at XXXXX charter school from XX-XXXX until XX-XXXX, specializing in profound autism
        Summer camp archery and karate (TKD) instructor with camp XXXXXXX for the summers of XXXX-XXXX
        Vacation Bible School PE/games instructor at XXXXX from XXXX-until present (summers only)
        Licensed Minister with XXXXXXX, specializing in correctional facility/addictions chaplaincy

        My background checks are kept current through the XXXXX state child and family welfare registry (free to view online). I also keep my background check with the XXXXX state highway patrol current, and is available upon request. I have other qualifications. Feel free to ask about specifics of my listed qualifications if need be.


        With all that, how do I go about starting a family oriented martial arts school that won't drive me into the poor house? I would like to teach both Tae Kwon Do and Judo.

        See how easy that is? Why don't you start over using something like this. And yes, this is a portion of my own CV/resume, redacted.
        With a Product like that your biggest issues are going to be location and ... well location. Market Penetration with Judo and TKD is going to be real tough in most area's.

        With your skill sets and history you could totally and legitimately offer self defense/awareness/protection for teens and children. Specifically dealing with conflict resolution both mentally and physically that other instructors may claim but not have the actual ability to do. As well as teach "normal self defense", Judo and TKD for all ages. There is a lot to work with which could positively separate your product and services from others in the area.

        Letting them, your market, know the differences and benefits between your club/school and the other one(s) they know of or go to cheaply and effectively is going to be the bitch.
        “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
        BILL HICKS,
        1961-1994

        "Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
        ---Jean-Paul Sartre

        Comment


          #49
          OP might want to google MMA, BJJ, and/or Martial Arts in Palm Beach, FL to see what he is up against...
          Falling for Judo since 1980

          "You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

          "The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

          "Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by ksennin View Post
            I am a karate guy
            Last edited by omoplatypus; 7/05/2017 4:53pm, .

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
              With a Product like that your biggest issues are going to be location and ... well location. Market Penetration with Judo and TKD is going to be real tough in most area's.

              With your skill sets and history you could totally and legitimately offer self defense/awareness/protection for teens and children. Specifically dealing with conflict resolution both mentally and physically that other instructors may claim but not have the actual ability to do. As well as teach "normal self defense", Judo and TKD for all ages. There is a lot to work with which could positively separate your product and services from others in the area.

              Letting them, your market, know the differences and benefits between your club/school and the other one(s) they know of or go to cheaply and effectively is going to be the bitch.
              I am actually running my own non profit club out of my church. It's donation based, and we are doing pretty good. Of course, I'll never be able to use this model for sustainable full time income, but I enjoy what I do. Also, my goal is to provide community outreach and after school activity for kids that wouldn't have anything otherwise. Kids and parents like my program and I feel successful with it.

              My product is alive judo/jujitsu, but more so than that, personal development for kids/teens. To a lesser extent, the product is bonding time for fathers and sons.

              Surprisingly enough, other schools recognize that I'm not their competition, and have offered to help with deeply discounted gear, or outright cash.

              Thanks for the insight. I appreciate it.

              Now, Nathan has even more of an example of how to start this thread over properly and what kind of response he will get.

              Comment


                #52
                Originally posted by omoplatypus View Post

                Now, Nathan has even more of an example of how to start this thread over properly and what kind of response he will get.
                That was my point too. I am damn sure with your resume and work history you are doing your MA stuff for the love and you already knew all I said somewhere in your head already.

                I don't knowshit about your specific local market but I bet in any large(ish) city, you specifically, could run some low key IRL guerrilla marketing and some youtube instructionals and get some more students.
                “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
                BILL HICKS,
                1961-1994

                "Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                ---Jean-Paul Sartre

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by omoplatypus View Post
                  When I state I am a karate guy I do it with full self-awareness.

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                    So if the Admins of this site were to contact Ran Nakash(head of IDF KM instruction) he would verify this claim? That you were offered an instructorship at the Wingate IDF KM training facility?



                    Which belt and who granted it to you?


                    Well last I checked Tenth Planet is the only affiliation that grants belts purely on no-Gi, and they don't exist in Israel. So... Do you have a BJJ belt as you stated above or don't you? You seem to be wavering on this.


                    Proof of all of the above please, especially of the military service.



                    The video actually says [Flotilla 13](Israeli version of Navy Seals)- Advanced Krav Maga Instruction in the elite unit. Flotilla 13 is, last I checked one of the few professional units in the Israeli military made of people that have signed on for an additional 6yrs(minimum) after the conclusion of their mandatory 3yr stint, and do this instead of conscript service. I would hope that an elite unit that likes to style itself as the equivalent of Delta Force or Seal Team 6 has some H2H training. Unfortunately what is shown in that video is still very compliant crap against horribly staged attacks that would almost never go down that way in real life. Just look at live leaks. What is killing me here is that you seem incapable of reading or understanding the Hebrew of the things you are posting.


                    Because you are coming off as a fraud.




                    This seams like another one of those "i know ill make friends with them so i can hide in plane sight" threads.

                    Should have read more before he posted.
                    Last edited by PDA; 7/06/2017 6:45am, .
                    King without a crown

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Since I live in a Central American country, there is very little regulated MMA/BJJ available. The first people who came over from other countries to open schools claimed ranks that I found highly suspect and did not last long. The president of the local BJJ association is actually a former judo competitor who crosstrained in BJJ and claims to hold a black belt in it, but I have not seen any accreditation, and of course, he claims to have trained at the Gokor/LaBell gym and produced some pictures, but they can from a one-time visit for all I know.

                      And this sort of exaggeration of rank and status is even bigger in the local karate circles. We have a very small, pathetic karate community here, and somehow have shihans of 6th and 5th dan status or more who I have never seen training in over a decade yet keep piling up dan degrees.

                      I am rather glad at least the global BJJ seems to do more serious policing of its ranks. The bs from crap instructors helped a lot to make martial arts matters of ridicule at least over here.

                      Comment


                        #56
                        This is stupid, USSR + Isreli, um yeah it's time for you to develop a systema krav hybrid style. Then you can laugh at all of us when you have a chain of McDojos all over the south. Make sure your training uniforms are all 5.11 tactical stuffs. I mean you probably won't be teaching people how to worth a damn but who cares
                        Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
                        –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by omoplatypus View Post
                          Possibly so. I don't know. He does type very similar to newly immigrated Jews. That's all I'm saying. Also, since he claims to have grown up in the USSR, English could be a 3rd or 4th language.

                          You obviously have a lot more knowledge on the subjects at hand. So, take it away, maven. I'll just be shnorring at the buffet, noshing on the free kosher pastrami and crackers.
                          Pastrami is proof god loves jews.
                          The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                            Pastrami is proof god loves jews.
                            As is the IMF .

                            What happened to OP?

                            Retired elsewhere on the Internet to talk smack about Bullshido "wahhh they dont really expose bullshit wahhh they just bully people wahhh they dont know about the real krav wahhhhh their racist wahhh they only believe in two genders wahhhhhhh "
                            King without a crown

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Originally posted by PDA View Post
                              As is the IMF .

                              What happened to OP?

                              Retired elsewhere on the Internet to talk smack about Bullshido "wahhh they dont really expose bullshit wahhh they just bully people wahhh they dont know about the real krav wahhhhh their racist wahhh they only believe in two genders wahhhhhhh "
                              Never look a gift horse in the mouth, PDA.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                I miss Nathan91. I thought he and I had something special going on... I never get to help these days.
                                “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
                                BILL HICKS,
                                1961-1994

                                "Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                                ---Jean-Paul Sartre

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X