'No cell phone' rule in BJJ/MMA gyms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'No cell phone' rule in BJJ/MMA gyms?

at my "local" (40-45 min drive away) MMA/grappling/BJJ gym, they have a STRICT no cellphone rule. they all looked like they were about to jump me when i whipped out my phone to record my girl in action. does any other gym that u know of have this rule, and if so, why do they have it?

Uh, ask them?

Comment

Obviously you should ask why the rule exists at that particular gym.

Without speaking for them specifically, I can think of one or two valid reasons for the rule in general. First, cell phones can just serve as a distraction in general. If my training partner was habitually stopping in the middle of a randori session to take a call, I would be annoyed as shit.

Also, some people, for a myriad of different personal reasons, may not be comfortable with the possibility of being caught on camera and having pictures/video of themselves posted on the internet for the rest of the world to see.

Comment

Some older cultures believe that a photo captures the soul and allows demons to fill the void left behind in the person.

Other groups in modern societies believe that cameras are an unjust set up, meant to unconstitutionally catch people in positions of authority behaving illegally or immorally, which is a violation of their rights granted by their positions of authority. If the BJJ gym has a large number of LEO or LEO Union board members it may fall under this category.

It is more than likely just a situation of you not asking first.

Comment

At my gym we have the same rule but they are not super strict about it. I believe for us it is more because they had a lot of kids who were using their phones during instruction and it was generally distracting/annoying. During our noon classes when it is all adults people use their cell phones whenever they want and no one has ever seemed to care. I'd be interested to learn why they are so strict about it there.

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
            Obviously you should ask why the rule exists at that particular gym.

Without speaking for them specifically, I can think of one or two valid reasons for the rule in general. First, cell phones can just serve as a distraction in general. If my training partner was habitually stopping in the middle of a randori session to take a call, I would be annoyed as shit.

Also, some people, for a myriad of different personal reasons, may not be comfortable with the possibility of being caught on camera and having pictures/video of themselves posted on the internet for the rest of the world to see.
            yep, it was exactly the second reason. i asked them if it was ok even if the fighters/grapplers consented and they said no...

Comment

Sometimes you gotta ask if your teacher is good enough to justify their eccentricities. If the answer is yes, you put up with their rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
                Sometimes you gotta ask if your teacher is good enough to justify their eccentricities. If the answer is yes, you put up with their rules.
                True dat. the teacher wasnt even "mine" but im hoping to join if I have enough time. my gf seems to be enjoying it so far. it's only been 1 month or so since she started and she loves it

Comment

I don't think this is an odd or unreasonable rule. Most of my teachers have no desire to have public footage of them lurking around the internet.

Comment

You don't even train there?
                    It's a potential distraction to your SO and other folks.
                    You should probably just let her train and focus instead of lurking around in the first place.

Go eat ice cream or something perhaps.

Comment

oh no i wasnt lurking or anything.

i was picking her up and was early. my pride in bae was too strong i guess lol

Comment

OP is a stalker IMO

Comment

The young guys at the grappling place I sometimes go to are always on their phones before the class starts, while I am trying to warm up my rusty self. As soon as the class is finished they run back to their phones.

Comment

Originally posted by ksennin View Post
                            The young guys at the grappling place I sometimes go to are always on their phones before the class starts, while I am trying to warm up my rusty self. As soon as the class is finished they run back to their phones.
                            Cellular and mobile technology has changed how society communicates, and especially for the millennials, for whom this technology has always existed, it has started to change social mores as well. Having teenagers, I've seen the shift in what is considered appropriate and acceptable from a social standpoint.

I had an older gentleman tell me a story about a teenage girl he was interviewing for a job, and said young lady pulled out her phone mid-interview to reply to a text message. While unconscionable to those of us who came into adulthood before cellphones were commonplace, to them, it is equally unconscionable to not be immediately available to those in their inner social circle. Another example-Texting is the de-facto form of communicating, and calling someone to have an actual voice conversation is reserved only for those you know on an intimate personal level. I made the mistake of suggesting to my youngling that she call someone from my landline. Oh the horror...SHE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW THEM THAT WELL!!!

Thirty years ago, not many would have thought it strange if there was a rule stating no camcorders were allowed in the gym. I would argue it as justifiable on several fronts. It serves as a distraction, it could be capturing others who just want to train and are a little more conscious of their personal privacy, or it could be to protect the proprietorship of the instruction (who's to say the camera person isn't recording these lessons to sell them as instructional videos, for profit?) I've been to many a dog training seminar held by world class dog trainers who had a strict "no recording" rule for any or all of the reasons just stated.

But the technology to record, and distribute video has made it nearly impossible to prevent. And attitudes towards those concepts mentioned above have shifted from "mehh, I don't necessarily agree but I see your point, grumble grumble hrrmmfff..." to "what do you mean I can't have my cell phone? I just want to record my bae and put her awesomeness on the YouTubez. What's the big fucking deal with that?"

Comment

i see your point. i honestly was just trying to record her so i could show off to my buddies a little. But ofc, after they told me no, i put it away

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X