Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confessions of a Repentant Bullshidoka

SneakyGoblin,

Not even ask about the user name but feel free to explain since you've been honest about the ATA years. Don't start another thread as I think it was Omega that deemed the last existing thread would be the last ( search function noob) (never used that in ten years here, feeling wet and sticky).

How old are you? It'd be a shame if you didn't get to experience flying through the air to be point checked by Mother Earth before you're actually too old to safely land. Judo or Sambo. BJJ if you must (-:

Comment

For years, I’ve read about Throwdowns and dreamed of attending one.
      Meet me on the beach.

Comment

You are basically next door to me, and I have family there.
        Maybe when I heal up we can put something together.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
          It'd be a shame if you didn't get to experience flying through the air to be point checked by Mother Earth before you're actually too old to safely land. Judo or Sambo. BJJ if you must (-:
          I second this. Not the static, "this is harai goshi... here it comes..." kind of throw, either. It has to be a clean launch right in the middle of randori. The type you never saw coming, and leaves you looking up at the ceiling with absolutely no idea what trajectory your body traveled on its way there, and no recollection of anything that happened in the span of time your body wasn't in contact with the mat.

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
            SneakyGoblin,

Not even ask about the user name but feel free to explain since you've been honest about the ATA years. Don't start another thread as I think it was Omega that deemed the last existing thread would be the last ( search function noob) (never used that in ten years here, feeling wet and sticky).

How old are you? It'd be a shame if you didn't get to experience flying through the air to be point checked by Mother Earth before you're actually too old to safely land. Judo or Sambo. BJJ if you must (-:
            Ok, thanks for advice. I have been thinking about Judo, specifically. Frankly I'm surprised about Judo's resurgence- in my TMA days, it was the most disregarded art due to its popularity as a sport. In another thread, someone mentioned a fairly reputable Judo place in Cleveland, I'll check it out.

I am 44 currently. Have sciatica (much better over last 2 or 3 years tho) and the post-surgery knee. Think that prevents serious Judo practice?

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
              Meet me on the beach.
              Which beach? Where? Are you nearby?? That'd be cool- I lament that I passed up wrestling in high school. Maybe you can show me the basics?

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
                You are basically next door to me, and I have family there.
                Maybe when I heal up we can put something together.
                Heck, even if you find yourself in Cleveland before you heal up, We can get together for drinks and share stories.

Hope the healing status on track,though...

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
                  I second this. Not the static, "this is harai goshi... here it comes..." kind of throw, either. It has to be a clean launch right in the middle of randori. The type you never saw coming, and leaves you looking up at the ceiling with absolutely no idea what trajectory your body traveled on its way there, and no recollection of anything that happened in the span of time your body wasn't in contact with the mat.
                  I have had a similar experience through common horseplay(plus the occasional sweep during sparring). Sometimes I've landed on my back so hard that my stomach hurt. Is it anything like that?

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
                    Which beach? Where?
                    Sandy Hook, NJ.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
                      I have had a similar experience through common horseplay(plus the occasional sweep during sparring). Sometimes I've landed on my back so hard that my stomach hurt. Is it anything like that?
                      Probably similar, but it's not so much the force of the landing, as the wonder and awe at how you got there.

For me, it was like a carnival ride that spins you multiple directions, to the point that you lose all sense of equilibrium and literally have no idea what way is up. You go from being upright with both feet on the tatami straight to landing on your back, with absolutely no recollection of anything that happened between those two points in time.

Comment

Am I the only one on this forum who doesn't train Judo?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandem View Post
                          No. I don't really train judo, so much as practice falling down and involuntary yoga, all while I tug on everyone's clothes, breathe really hard, and sweat all over the mats.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandem View Post

Comment

I keep intending to do some judo training. I'll probably do some this summer when I have some more free time

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X