• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jihadi knife attacks

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/11/w...-van.html?_r=1

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ach-say-police

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7783011.html

Comment

I was wondering if the pink blades used in the London Bridge attack was to symbolize the Manchester attack (Ariana Grande's supporters created a pink and black ribbon to symbolize the attack).

I know nobody in the actual media wants to discuss why terrorists would choose hot pink knives to kill people with. This could be a reason.

Comment

That's a pretty interesting connection but I'm betting it was just simply because they were on sale or something like that. Maybe their terrorist funds were drying up. I thought the weirder thing was that they were using ceramic knives instead of some better, sharper ones. Still, I'm thinking it's because they were on sale or something like that.
        Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

My understanding is that on the whole ceramic knives are distinctly sharper than steel knives.

Comment

Oh, are they? I guess being brittle would be the only drawback, then. I see that big gouge on the one in the picture above.
            Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

I suspect that they were cheap and they liked the colour. I don't think that they made the connection with Ariana Grande, I reckon that would imply a degree of intellectual thought that these arsewipes didn't have.

But then they are dead so who knows. No bad thing. Shame it wasn't sooner.

Comment

I would think the only reason to use ceramic weapons would be to avoid metal detectors but I haven't read up on this attack and don't know if that makes sense in the context of this situation.

Comment

Avoiding metal detectors.

Ed. Devil was faster.

Comment

Crafty has it almost correct. The thing about ceramic knives (which are awesome, btw) is that they hold an edge much longer than steel, so long as you don't use them for stupid shit like prying open beer cans. But, you also can't generally resharpen them at home, because you need industrial-grade diamond and other specialized equipment.
                    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Comment

Take your Occam's razor and shove it up your ass :)
                        Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by scipio View Post
                          I suspect that they were cheap and they liked the colour. I don't think that they made the connection with Ariana Grande, I reckon that would imply a degree of intellectual thought that these arsewipes didn't have.
                          Here's the coincidental thing though...Manchester and elsewhere were drenched in pink from May 23rd right up to the charity event.

The pink symbology began May 23rd online, spread virally, and by the June attack on the very eve of the charity benefit, Manchester was literally covered in pink.

Counterterror experts have suggested the London terror attack was intended shut down the benefit, which was scheduled to occur (drenched in pink) less than 24 hours later.

One has to wonder that the terrorists would have had other colors to choose from. Coincidence? or a nasty piece of symbolism..."we will kill you with this color".

Comment

Terrorism is effective because it makes us ask questions like "what if it was pink?" I think that's what you're trying to say, and I agree. Obviously, the dead and maimed get a significant mindshare, but forcing you to question your lifestyle choices for fear of being one of the aforementioned victims... that's real purpose of terrorism, even if it was by an accidental purchase of a pink knife because they didn't think to bring a lot of cash.

Also, I'm moving this to YMAS, it is better suited, there.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                              Crafty has it almost correct. The thing about ceramic knives (which are awesome, btw) is that they hold an edge much longer than steel, so long as you don't use them for stupid shit like prying open beer cans. But, you also can't generally resharpen them at home, because you need industrial-grade diamond and other specialized equipment.
                              Very sharp and excellent edge retention but they also have a tendency to chip and break when they receive a solid impact at least the early ones I got to play with a few years ago. I wouldn't stab or throw or drop one but they really slice nicely.
                              I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                              BILL HICKS,
                              1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                              ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X