Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

out of a general curiosity: would you ever do a home study course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
    *Looks around and wonders how the fuck he ended up on Martial Arts Planet...*
    God I used to be on that site a very long time ago... then I grew more critical and ended up here

Comment

Originally posted by kimjonghng View Post
      God I used to be on that site a very long time ago... then I grew more critical and ended up here
      There are worse things to have to admit to. A very long time ago, I believed that the Bujinkan was capable of teaching me to fight, and Masaaki Hatsumi was damn near invincible.

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
        There are worse things to have to admit to. A very long time ago, I believed that the Bujinkan was capable of teaching me to fight, and Masaaki Hatsumi was damn near invincible.
        I used to have faith in the Bujinkan too. It was my first martial art as a teenager (back in my nerdy phase, I needed a hobby to help depression). I enjoyed my time in it and it helped me a lot as a person, but I've learnt far more since my club closed and I took up Kickboxing, Judo, Karate and BJJ. It's funny as well. I see odd techniques here and there in what I do now that are similar to what I did then, but applied against resisting opponents. Makes me wonder if someone could reform the Booj into an actual fighting art, but I dont see it happening any more than a full contact aikido with striking and MMA type submissions. At least the 1st Dan I got there has senimental value, but I see it as a starting point for my martial arts.

Incidently earlier this year I went to a Booj seminar since I know people still training in it. I decided to go along and found the guys there were more anal about differentiating core techniques and henka than my club ever was (we ran it on a principle basis that say X is this, but X can be done like Y, Z etc) while this one was X is X and Y is Y and the two cannot intermix, so I found they felt very ABC about fighting with no flow. The senior grade there had grown his nails out and filed them into 4 inch claws to make his claw strikes mode deadly. Guess that says something about the level of variance in the clubs?

Comment

I used to have faith in the Bujinkan too. It was my first martial art as a teenager (back in my nerdy phase, I needed a hobby to help depression). I enjoyed my time in it and it helped me a lot as a person, but I've learnt far more since my club closed and I took up Kickboxing, Judo, Karate and BJJ. It's funny as well. I see odd techniques here and there in what I do now that are similar to what I did then, but applied against resisting opponents. Makes me wonder if someone could reform the Booj into an actual fighting art, but I dont see it happening any more than a full contact aikido with striking and MMA type submissions. At least the 1st Dan I got there has senimental value, but I see it as a starting point for my martial arts.

Incidently earlier this year I went to a Booj seminar since I know people still training in it. I decided to go along and found the guys there were more anal about differentiating core techniques and henka than my club ever was (we ran it on a principle basis that say X is this, but X can be done like Y, Z etc) while this one was X is X and Y is Y and the two cannot intermix, so I found they felt very ABC about fighting with no flow. The senior grade there had grown his nails out and filed them into 4 inch claws to make his claw strikes mode deadly. Guess that says something about the level of variance in the clubs?
          Booj h2h is just JJJ... likely 19th century Japanese Jujutsu. You are way over thinking this stuff.

So of course quite a bit of that looks similar were familiar.

You're doing Judo that's best for you I would think.

Comment

Knowing full well what you may get is toss, but amusing toss, would you consider it?

I ask this because I found a full Kuk Sool/Hapkido course way up into the friggin DAN grades that doesnt look so bad, but even if I was to fund it myself, I dont know if the notion of getting any kind of belt in such a manner would ruin my self esteem as a martial artist
            If we leave any discussions of belts out of it, there are many fine online resources for BJJ including the Marcelo Garcia online academy, the Gracie University, and many, many others.

It is handy to have a training group with an onsite credentialed instructor.

In that case, the online resources and drill partner opportunities may offer useful adjunctive practice.

The Gracie University has a curriculum designed so two people with some mats in a garage can get quite a bit of drill practice exposure to the traditional Helio Gracie curriculum.

Regarding Hapkido, I cannot say. Other than having some historical notion of where Hapkido theoretically fits as a descendant branch of Ju-Jutsu, Hapkido is not an art that I have much hands on practice.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
              Booj h2h is just JJJ... likely 19th century Japanese Jujutsu. You are way over thinking this stuff.

So of course quite a bit of that looks similar were familiar.

You're doing Judo that's best for you I would think.
              Which part am I overthinking? Im just making an observation based on it being my first art and the one I was in longest.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                If we leave any discussions of belts out of it, there are many fine online resources for BJJ including the Marcelo Garcia online academy, the Gracie University, and many, many others.

It is handy to have a training group with an onsite credentialed instructor.

In that case, the online resources and drill partner opportunities may offer useful adjunctive practice.

The Gracie University has a curriculum designed so two people with some mats in a garage can get quite a bit of drill practice exposure to the traditional Helio Gracie curriculum.

Regarding Hapkido, I cannot say. Other than having some historical notion of where Hapkido theoretically fits as a descendant branch of Ju-Jutsu, Hapkido is not an art that I have much hands on practice.
                I've seen some of the Gracie academy stuff, used it as reference when I was off mat to look more at things I need to work on.

I actually have the book Mark Tadeschi wrote on traditions and power. Its practically the size of my encyclopedia, and has thousands of photos of step by step techniques. Really there's not a great deal in it that Im not familiar with from other arts (standing wristlocks, throws are basic judo, strikes are very karate with taekwondo-ish kick combos)

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyGoblin View Post
                  Ah, yes, but you will be properly certified to bend at the waist.
                  Not something I would want in 'teh street' or prison.

Does 52 blocks defeat this then?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                  X