Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

out of a general curiosity: would you ever do a home study course?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

out of a general curiosity: would you ever do a home study course?

Knowing full well what you may get is toss, but amusing toss, would you consider it?

I ask this because I found a full Kuk Sool/Hapkido course way up into the friggin DAN grades that doesnt look so bad, but even if I was to fund it myself, I dont know if the notion of getting any kind of belt in such a manner would ruin my self esteem as a martial artist

In terms of martial arts, probably not. Languages sure or any hobby like making crafts or whatever.

But as the old tibetan saying goes "IF YOU GOT A DOOR YOU GOT A GYM!"

Comment

You'd need to find a training partner who also wants to do a hapikdo home study course.

Comment

I mean I have done a lot of online college courses, I think my education has suffered compared to me doing in person classes.
        That is with mental course work. I couldn't imagine doing any sort of hands on stuff via correspondences and expecting a really good outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Permalost View Post
          You'd need to find a training partner who also wants to do a hapikdo home study course.
          Not seeing anything on this one, though to be first the first volume of stuff ($75 on a dvd for each level) consists mostly of etiquette, bowing variations and stances with a couple of punches

Comment

Originally posted by kimjonghng View Post
            Not seeing anything on this one, though to be first the first volume of stuff ($75 on a dvd for each level) consists mostly of etiquette, bowing variations and stances with a couple of punches
            Sounds like great value. I don't think you will go far wrong with this.

You may want to consider some of Thomas Daw's online/home study at the MFMA. He has had some very positive reviews from a number of posters here.

Comment

Originally posted by scipio View Post
              Sounds like great value. I don't think you will go far wrong with this.

You may want to consider some of Thomas Daw's online/home study at the MFMA. He has had some very positive reviews from a number of posters here.
              I never realized I needed to pay this much in order to secure my ability to bend at the waist

Comment

I never realized I needed to pay this much in order to secure my ability to bend at the waist
                Bending at the waist and bowing are fundamental to the martial arts. It shows respect to your instructor and the people you practice with. Remember, respect is key to being a good martial artist along with humbleness.

Martial arts are a journey where the goal is not violence but the practitioners spiritual journey as a person.

By learning how to bow you have taken that first step on your journey....

Comment

I have done the Gracie Combatives course, but I was already working on my Nidan in Judo at the time, had a partner or two to help and also had a mat area, just did not have a Gracie Academy near me that didn't make my skin crawl with it's prices for blue belt instruction. I also got the DVD's on the cheap.

Trying to learn a martial art from a video, or a book, or anything other than hands on instruction is very doable, but it requires a LOT of extra work, good patient partners, and it REALLY helps if you have a solid MA background to start with. This is the case with most of my HEMA group, and we are able to successfully reproduce fighting skills from a book written hundreds of years ago in a language none of us speaks well.

Comment

Bending at the waist and bowing are fundamental to the martial arts. It shows respect to your instructor and the people you practice with. Remember, respect is key to being a good martial artist along with humbleness.

Martial arts are a journey where the goal is not violence but the practitioners spiritual journey as a person.

not sure if you caught the sarcasm so felt I should double check

Comment

not sure if you caught the sarcasm so felt I should double check
                      I'd had too much coffee when I wrote that ;0)

Comment

I bought Black Belt Karate: The Intensive Course awhile back. The moves are similar to what I learned in Taekwondo and there are lesson plans that lay out what you should be working on every day. You don't actually get any belt ranking from it or anything and I'm not sure how helpful it would be for someone who has never done TKD or Karate, but it's a pretty rad little reference book. Imagine something like Jiu-Jitsu University only the techniques are separated into individual lessons on what to drill.

Comment

*Looks around and wonders how the fuck he ended up on Martial Arts Planet...*

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
                            *Looks around and wonders how the fuck he ended up on Martial Arts Planet...*
                            I am trying to raise the quality of of posting in Bullshido to that of MAP.

To further the discussion, once you have mastered how to bow you then need to understand about how to Kiai!

You need to understand the use of the Kiai! to let your internal energy out to stun your opponent with your spirit. A well rounded martial artist will understand the difference between the kung-fu "yip", the karate Kiai all the way to the Krav Maga combat roar.

Comment

Ah, yes, but you will be properly certified to bend at the waist.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X