Firt Time Comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firt Time Comparisons

I recently looked into starting Muay Thai after finally finding a place to officially train (I had been doing my best to study and learn on my own as best as possible in the mean time).

I found a place called the Domination Gym in my area. I had to pay up front R1400 before being able to attend a lesson. They do BJJ, Muay Thai and Boxing and I had let the instructor know I wanted to start with Muay Thai.

I arrived a little early and watched the Technical Boxing class and watched the instructor sparing in particular and his form (from what I could tell was very good - though his stance seemed very wide but then maybe this is normal for boxing). When he was done I paid and asked what next and he said grab a rope and start skipping the lesson is about to start.

So I grabbed a rope and started and the junior instructor came about 5 - 10 minutes later and simply said different exercises for us to do without actually explaining what he meant. For example: He said do 50 push ups and I started doing pushups then noticed the people around me were do these kind of half burpy things so I copied.

When it came to actual punches and stuff he simply said grab mats and do X uppercuts and X left jabs/right straights, etc. He didn't really explain anything and pretty much seemed to assume everyone knew what they were doing. I noticed small things like people not using there whole body (hips, waist, legs, etc when throwing hooks and so on and he wasn't saying anything). When I did ask him about instruction he watched me and said my technique was very good (guess self training works... hmmm). But did mention I was dropping my guard a lot - which I was.

Then I started to wounder why no kicking or knees or elbows and why the form was different to what I had been learning in my own Muay Thai studies and then only at the end of the lesson I found out it was a beginners boxing class and not the beginners Muay Thai (which is great when I had made a point of stating I wanted to start in the Muay Thai).

Anyway, need to go and will give more info later (as well as for a Judo place I signed up to)...

Any thoughts so far welcome.

where was the head instructor during all of this? maybe you should take your concerns up with him, though it's not sounding very promising if everything you said is true.

Comment

You probably should've skipped on it the moment they wanted money for a trial lesson.

Comment

You talking about these guys and gals ? http://www.dominationgym.co.za/

It says they have BJJ Black Belt but don't say who it is... that's odd.
        Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 5/05/2017 4:57am, .

Comment

Also moved from Basic Tech to YMAS.

Comment

If that was a beginners class and they were assuming you knew stuff that's not great

Comment

CONTINUED

Noticed some spelling errors on my original post but can't seem to edit it. Most don't matter, the part where it says "grab mats" was supposed to be "grab gloves".

Anyways, on with the second part:

After my bad first time with the MMA gym I also tried out a Judo class. I wasn't really intending to start a Judo class but was looking around out of interest. I ended up finding an email listed for a guy named Rob Jordaan (old 5th Dan) and sent a mail through to him. After one or two backwards and forwards emails where he asked my age and area, he sent me his lesson times and told me to come along a try it out to see if I like it. I didn't even ask for a free lesson, he just offered one to me.

On top of this, I mentioned it to my wife and took her along without being able to mention it to him and when we finally found the place he was more than happy to let her also try it out for free. (Though in the end she was a little scared and decided to watch instead).

The guy was rather fat, but after speaking to him for a while and asking various questions I was satisfied. There was a class before us but I'm not in any way familiar with Judo so couldn't tell if the techniques were good or not. His juniors had mostly yellow and orange belts with no high grades. The class I tried had one blue, one green, one orange and the rest whites.

Right at the start of the lesson (after some light warm ups) he selected one of his students and got him to take me to the side and work on some Ukemi with me and then a basic throw while the rest of the class carried on. Then he came over to me and asked the student how I was doing and got me to show him. When he was satisfied he joined me to the class which was basically him showing and detailing a throw then having everyone practice it with their partner (I was still with the same guy). He did this for two different throws then got everyone to pair up for randori. He selected my pairings for me every time he told everyone to change partners. He told them to go easy on me but I did ask the guys sparring with me to challenege me. The first guy was okay, the second guy was almost impossible (but really fun), the third guy went easy on me and was more focused on teaching me technique.

After the lesson my wife said she was interested in joining and we went and spoke with Rob. He charges R600 ($44.70) for three months per person. But he asked us how we are for money and offered R600 total for both of us. He also told us that we must go at a pace we are comfortable with. If we want to do it to join his competition guys or simply for fitness or even just for fun, he wouldn't mind and would help us accordingly. Then when I asked him for the papers to join he said don't worry about it yet, just come along again next week and see if you still like it.

Obviously I'm in no position to judge if his Judo is actually any good, but from what I can tell he is legitimate and the first impression with him was so drastically different to the one I had with the gym...

Comment

Originally posted by CraigShaw View Post
                Noticed some spelling errors on my original post but can't seem to edit it. Most don't matter, the part where it says "grab mats" was supposed to be "grab gloves".

Anyways, on with the second part:

After my bad first time with the MMA gym I also tried out a Judo class. I wasn't really intending to start a Judo class but was looking around out of interest. I ended up finding an email listed for a guy named Rob Jordaan (old 5th Dan) and sent a mail through to him. After one or two backwards and forwards emails where he asked my age and area, he sent me his lesson times and told me to come along a try it out to see if I like it. I didn't even ask for a free lesson, he just offered one to me.

On top of this, I mentioned it to my wife and took her along without being able to mention it to him and when we finally found the place he was more than happy to let her also try it out for free. (Though in the end she was a little scared and decided to watch instead).

The guy was rather fat, but after speaking to him for a while and asking various questions I was satisfied. There was a class before us but I'm not in any way familiar with Judo so couldn't tell if the techniques were good or not. His juniors had mostly yellow and orange belts with no high grades. The class I tried had one blue, one green, one orange and the rest whites.

Right at the start of the lesson (after some light warm ups) he selected one of his students and got him to take me to the side and work on some Ukemi with me and then a basic throw while the rest of the class carried on. Then he came over to me and asked the student how I was doing and got me to show him. When he was satisfied he joined me to the class which was basically him showing and detailing a throw then having everyone practice it with their partner (I was still with the same guy). He did this for two different throws then got everyone to pair up for randori. He selected my pairings for me every time he told everyone to change partners. He told them to go easy on me but I did ask the guys sparring with me to challenege me. The first guy was okay, the second guy was almost impossible (but really fun), the third guy went easy on me and was more focused on teaching me technique.

After the lesson my wife said she was interested in joining and we went and spoke with Rob. He charges R600 ($44.70) for three months per person. But he asked us how we are for money and offered R600 total for both of us. He also told us that we must go at a pace we are comfortable with. If we want to do it to join his competition guys or simply for fitness or even just for fun, he wouldn't mind and would help us accordingly. Then when I asked him for the papers to join he said don't worry about it yet, just come along again next week and see if you still like it.

Obviously I'm in no position to judge if his Judo is actually any good, but from what I can tell he is legitimate and the first impression with him was so drastically different to the one I had with the gym...
                i'm not saying he's the best, but you could probably do worse.

http://highwaymail.co.za/171489/high...b-of-the-year/

Comment

Its really hard to go wrong with Judo. Your experience with Judo is fairly typical its largely a not for profit martial sport.
                  Quality can be roughly judged on how well they do in competition. However the real truth of the matter is at the end of the day if you enjoy it, are learning new things you can pull off in randori and are not getting injured, you found the right place.

Comment

CONTINUED: FIRST BJJ NIGHT

Okay, so just came back from my first BJJ class at the Domination Gym.

First off, this was a MUCH better experience than with the boxing which was supposed to mave been Muay Thai (yeah, I'm not letting that go anytime soon....)

Anyway, turns out there are two instructors, the black belt (whom I still don't know) and a brown belt (whose name I have already forgotten). The brown belt took the class at the gym today. He was very polite and the evening was nothing like how I pictured it.

It started off with some very basic warm ups: neck bends and twists, wrist and arm twists, arm swings and a kind of reverse push up where you had to lie on the floor and pull yourself up using the sleeves of your partner's gi.

I ended up being paired with a purple belt and the first exercise was taking turns trying to get a hold on your partner's trouser legs for six seconds with both hands while they prevent it. After that the brown belt showed a mount position and the purple taught me to shrimp, some hip bucking thing and how to throw someone off you using said hip buck thing. He also showed me one arm bar and we would stop the shrimp/hip buck practice whenever the instructor would explain a lock/hold/position etc.

Then to end things off the purple belt rolled with me which turned out to be interesting - but when I did get an advantage (he was going easy on me) I had no idea what to do with it. He then rolled with the instructor and it was weirdly intriguing. The purple was struggling so hard but the brown seemed to so effortlessly slide from one position to the next - though he looked more like he was thinking that actually fighting with physical effort.

Afterward, a few students came up to me - as well as the instructor and all in all it was actually a really fun evening which felt like it passed very quickly.

It doesn't seem all that stamina intensive, but my fingers hurt something awful...

My main issue was that I hope that I can develop a mind (or whatever you would call it for this) as even though I understood what they were doing when showing techniques, I couldn't see them the same way I see stand-up techniques. When I watch stand up fighters it's so easy to see all the small stuff and every part of what their bodies are doing and why - but when it came to watching the BJJ I felt so stupid as I can't see the moves in the same way. Hell, I can't pull the moves apart at all...

Other than that, the evening was insanely fun and the instruction quality and atmosphere were good (but I of course can't comment on the actual skill level of the instructor as I have zero knowledge in this area).
                    Last edited by CraigShaw; 5/08/2017 11:53am, .

Comment

Dont sweat it with the bjj. It can seem like an information overload at first. The way i think of it is like this. Each class is a single thread, eventually you will have a hankerchief and then a large fabric sheet. Everything sort of meshes together. After a few months you will see things you never saw before. Thats the beauty of it, you are forever learning and getting better black belts too.

Your experience with judo sounded great. Seems like he wasnt about the money and happy to let you have some classes to see if its something you want to do. If you want to do the bjj maybe find another school, i say this cos if its at an mma gym and you dont like the muay thai or boxing theres no point paying top dollar for classes you wont go to.

Comment

CONTINUED: FIRST MUAY THAI

Internet's been down for a while so slow on the update - and this should be the last one (unless I decide to try something else).

My first night of Muay Thai was actually really fun. Same instructor as the boxing class. (Looks like the head instructor only handles the technical boxing and MMA Muay Thai classes.

We started off with 100x thai kicks against the heavy bag. I wasn't sure if he meant one leg or both so I did 100x right then switched stance and did 100x left. (On a side note, I work in a motorcycle store and made my own heavy bag out of linked and stacked superbike tyres. 190/55-17's for those interested. In comparison to the tyres, kick the heavy bag was like hitting my shins with a fluffy pillow...)

I did play dumb and ask for a demonstration of the kick first from the instructor and then showed him the same and he said my technique was good.

He then had us do thigh conditioning where we partnered up and took turns kicking outside right thigh, inside right thigh, inside left thigh, outside left thigh, right ribs, left ribs. At first the thigh kicks were okay but then started getting tender and the only two thoughts in my head were: "At least he's going easy," and "Come on, I have a whole thigh, stop kicking exactly the same place..." My upper body strength is pathetic though and the rib kicks hurt straight from the get go.

After that he had us do some knee exercises and then teep kicks. I hadn't done any push kicks before, so that I did have to learn and they seemed kind of weird to execute but I do see advantage to their use.

Finally we got paired off for light sparring. I were glasses so I had to take them off for this but could see fine for sparring. It was actually really fun. I could see openings easily and for the most part could avoid and parry/block well. When I did start getting tired I started letting a lot of strikes through (which just showed more that I really need to focus on stamina and endurance).

That was pretty much it for the night. Looks like the boxing was the only bad experience. I got that at this gym you need to be bringing things up if you need to (which isn't great, but so long as I can ask where I am making mistakes and get correctly shown I'm fine). Looks like more direct instruction takes place in the advanced classes (which the instructor suggested that I should speak to the head instructor about taking them, but I said that even if I could pick up technique I didn't see any possible or realistic way I would be able to keep up at my current and totally pathetic fitness level. So I spoke a little with him about how to get my fitness up.

Overall, I think I will stick with the gym. My plan is BJJ on Mondays, Muay Thai on Tuesdays and then Judo from the instructor near us on Thursdays (while obviously still working on it all constantly at home).

On a side note, I am struggling with the judo a bit. I'm difficult to throw but find it almost impossible to throw anyone else. The only time I get thrown is when I try move in for my own throw and then quickly find myself on the mat...

For anyone interested, I'd rate them as follows:

FUN FACTOR [most fun to least fun]: (1) Muay Thai, (2) BJJ, (3) Judo, (4) Boxing.
                        TECH DIFFICULTY FACTOR [easiest to hardest]: (1) Muay Thai, (2) Boxing, (3) BJJ, (4) Judo
                        ENDURANCE DIFFICULTY FACTOR: [easiest to hardest]: (1) Judo, (2) BJJ, (3) Muay Thai, (4) Boxing

Comment

Craig,

If you don't mind answering, how old are you? I only ask as you're putting a lot of time in on a weekly basis in styles that while giving a good deal of cross training, leaves little time to give focus on any. Just my opinion. Props for your enthusiasm.

Mods,

Maybe a move back from YMAS is warranted at some point? I can't remember, is training logs for supporting members only?

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                            Craig,

If you don't mind answering, how old are you? I only ask as you're putting a lot of time in on a weekly basis in styles that while giving a good deal of cross training, leaves little time to give focus on any. Just my opinion. Props for your enthusiasm.
                            I'm 32. I've always wanted to officially do Muay Thai so (while I know a lot of people will frown on this and say it can't be done) I spent a very long time finding and sorting information about Muay Thai and watching various fights and instructions and then pulling them apart as critically as possible and trying to work out how and why they work and why things other fighters have tried haven't worked - and then focused on training myself as best I could with the aim of one day joining up proper classes when I could find some. (Please don't misunderstand, I'm not in any way saying I am perfect at anything, probably far from it).

Because the gym offers various different classes I figured I would try out the BJJ (and because it falls under the same origins as Judo I decided to look into that as well as I figured they would compliment each other).

The boxing doesn't really interest me and I really do enjoy the Muay Thai. So, my main aim is to focus on Muay Thai (especially outside of lessons as well) while doing the bit of BJJ and Judo to have at least a little experience with it. (It also helps that my wife wants to do Judo - I couldn't get her interested in Muay Thai. I also really don't seem to have a "mind" for Judo and BJJ, but still find them fun.)

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post

Mods,

Maybe a move back from YMAS is warranted at some point? I can't remember, is training logs for supporting members only?
                            If I erred here, my apologies. It wasn't meant to be a training log. I was going in not familiar with how gyms work or what to expect from instruction, so my intention was to provide as much info as possible to work out the approach I should take (and also in the hopes that maybe my posts could help someone else looking for the same or similar things).

Comment

Don't sweat not having a "mind" for judo. That comes with time and practice. It's good your wife is interested. Family that plays together, stays together (-:

Consider keeping this thread active as an update on your progress. Personally, I find it a good read. MT, judo and BJJ make for a well rounded game. Interested to see if you can pull it off while doing all simultaneously. Just don't expect to progress at the rate you'd otherwise see if you were focused on one.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X