Aikido vs MMA Reloaded.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I would have thought that maybe only one person would bring up the idea that aikido will do against MMA if the aikido person has a weapon, but in fact it seems to have been brought up by more than one person. It's hard to believe that people post stuff like this.

This kind of argument doesn't make any sense at all, since aikido people generally don't practice fencing or spar with blunt swords. There is no reason to think they would do any better against a historical fencer than they would against a MMA athlete.

Can you imagine a typical aikido guy who doesn't like emptyhanded sparring in the first place feeling comfortable being hit with a steel blunt?

https://youtu.be/XQzKIg0JgLY?t=55s
    I think if you were to ask a real koryu sword-art (or even legit shin-budo) person about the level of swordsmanship displayed by most aikidoka, they'd be polite to say it was even "ok".

Comment

"If combat effectiveness is your aim, and you believe that you are training to achieve that end based on aikidō sword, staff or knife work, you are lying to yourself, or at least, someone has lied to you." - Ellis Amdur.

Comment

Originally posted by Mandem View Post
        If said Aikido guy is reading this: don't listen to HM, come and post
        I have a feeling the Aikido guy (Sensei Rokas Leonavičius of Lithuania) is not going to be bothered.

Rokas is willing to take on Steven Seagal, which means props in my book. (Isn't Seagal an honorary Russian now?)

You're gonna have major love for Rokas after you watch this video. Forget the MMA one.

Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 5/12/2017 6:25pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
          I have a feeling the Aikido guy (Sensei Rokas Leonavičius of Lithuania) is not going to be bothered.

Rokas is willing to take on Steven Seagal, which means props in my book. (Isn't Seagal an honorary Russian now?)

You're gonna have major love for Rokas after you watch this video. Forget the MMA one.

Solid.

Comment

Comment

Here he interviews Aikido/BJJ black belt Ray Butcher from Team Balance Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                Here he interviews Aikido/BJJ black belt Ray Butcher from Team Balance Ireland.
                He's Irish. He's probably drunk. He can't be taken seriously. ;-)
                He's got solid wristlocks I am told.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                  He's Irish. He's probably drunk. He can't be taken seriously. ;-)
                  He's got solid wristlocks I am told.
                  I disagree completely. The only time to take the Irish seriously is when they are drunk!

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
                    I disagree completely. The only time to take the Irish seriously is when they are drunk!
                    So, always?

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                      So, always?
                      More or less.

Comment

Just saw this and thought id share. Note this is an outdoor mma style event in russia, the aikido 'master' is probably a black belt (master being a generic term the media loosly use). The aikidoka's opponent just seems like a bar fighter/pub brawler type of guy.

https://youtu.be/0FuH2Rhv6lA

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
                          This kind of argument doesn't make any sense at all, since aikido people generally don't practice fencing or spar with blunt swords. There is no reason to think they would do any better against a historical fencer than they would against a MMA athlete.
                          Speaking as a historical fencer, I'd be more than willing to help someone test such an idea.

Comment

Here's the follow up to the follow up. It's shorter and worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBKXldiGcjQ

Takeaway:

Lots of good positive feedback from the MMA community, lots of negative 'you suck' feedback from traditional Aikido crowd (though some groups were positive).

I like this kid. I'm going to follow him on youtube for a bit. Might as well since his videos keep popping up on my home page anyway.
                            So this follow up video popped up in my YouTube feed, probably since I watched the first one.

I watched a few minutes of it, mildly interesting, but not enough to get through the whole thing.

https://youtu.be/NvLpP2AUSdo

Leave it to an Aikidoka to turn five minutes of fighting into more than an hour of talking.

I wonder if this guy reads Bullshido:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPrDpk_c3vk&t

Comment

Oh yeah, I was going to follow the aikido guy and promptly forgot all about it. Typical.

I'm not really all that interested in the idea of applied aikido- it's called Judo, no need to rehash, but the 'come to Jesus moments some of these people have when they actually try to practice what they preach, pure gold.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X