Aikido vs MMA Reloaded.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
    See when I was about 16 I had the exact same attitude except I cross trained in Muay Thai instead of Wing Chun.
    There but for the grace of God...

Comment

A guy who trains five years in aikido and five years mma might be a good fighter, but he'd probably be better if he'd spent those 10 years training mma.

Comment

Originally posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
        LOL Ancient Greek boxers wore dreadlocks.

How dare those ancient Greeks appropriate culture
        http://www.ebony.com/style/justin-bi...#axzz4gGlPhGUd

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
          How dare those ancient Greeks appropriate culture
          http://www.ebony.com/style/justin-bi...#axzz4gGlPhGUd
          Yeah I think about this image every time I read people bitching about white people hair.

This author is clearly ignorant of cultures outside her own. She's probably not even Ethiopian or Egyptian herself.

Comment

Originally posted by Pship Destroyer View Post
            I don't know if the order matters as much as the time spent blending both. The OP video's case is definitely a matter of latter-day respekt for MMA. He could have been even better at Aikido by picking up MMA sooner, right?

Haircut-wise, come on people. Lots of awesome boxers with dreads...let it go. LOL Ancient Greek boxers wore dreadlocks.

But think about the difference between somebody who only does one thing for 13 years, vs someone who tries a variety of interrelated things (consistently) over the same time.

That's the whole problem with some of the traditional MAs that haven't caught up...the idea there is that you spend your life doing X, then try Y, when you could be XYXYXYXYXYXYing...

Is it the art, or the people in it?
            These two Greek mother fuckers need to cut their hippie mother fuckin' hair too...

And put some god damned pants on!

Comment

So this follow up video popped up in my YouTube feed, probably since I watched the first one.

I watched a few minutes of it, mildly interesting, but not enough to get through the whole thing.

https://youtu.be/NvLpP2AUSdo

Comment

It could be interesting if this aikido guy posted here. I've pointed him to this thread.
                Last edited by DCS; 5/11/2017 8:51am, .

Comment

That would be interesting. I ended up watching most of his follow up q&a last night. He seemed to have a pretty good head in his shoulders.

A few takeaways:

When potential students come to him to learn self defense he points them to other, more practical arts.

Definitely understands pressure testing and the flaws in aikido' general training methodology.

Thinks there is a tendency in the general aikido community to think that they having amazing skills without ever testing them. Sounds like ninjers to me.

His response to other aikido people saying his aikido was no good and pointing out all the things he should have done was, try it yourself.

Had done a little BJJ.

Is really a die hard aikido guy who loves the art and is interested in improving his own art not necessarily blending it with a bunch of other arts. But also seems to understand the limitation of that.

Anyway I think the video is worth a watch just to see someone who has recently had their eyes opened to the reality of effective training methodology. Although having done a bit of BJJ before he was kind of already aware of this.

Comment

Here's the follow up to the follow up. It's shorter and worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBKXldiGcjQ

Takeaway:

Lots of good positive feedback from the MMA community, lots of negative 'you suck' feedback from traditional Aikido crowd (though some groups were positive).

I like this kid. I'm going to follow him on youtube for a bit. Might as well since his videos keep popping up on my home page anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
                      ... lots of negative 'you suck' feedback from traditional Aikido crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                        It could be interesting if this aikido guy posted here. I've pointed him to this thread.
                        I'll be sure to call him a pussy.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
                          I'll be sure to call him a pussy.
                          If said Aikido guy is reading this: don't listen to HM, come and post

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
                            Here's the follow up to the follow up. It's shorter and worth the watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBKXldiGcjQ

Takeaway:

Lots of good positive feedback from the MMA community, lots of negative 'you suck' feedback from traditional Aikido crowd (though some groups were positive).

I like this kid. I'm going to follow him on youtube for a bit. Might as well since his videos keep popping up on my home page anyway.

Some of the comments on that video are incredible. One person basically said that aikido fighters would do better if they were swinging bokken. Yes, in general, if you have a big stick with which to hit your opponent, you will do better.

It's like saying a HEMA guy will do better in a MMA match if he gets to attack his opponent with a blunt steel practice sword.

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
                              Some of the comments on that video are incredible. One person basically said that aikido fighters would do better if they were swinging bokken. Yes, in general, if you have a big stick with which to hit your opponent, you will do better.

It's like saying a HEMA guy will do better in a MMA match if he gets to attack his opponent with a blunt steel practice sword.
                              Hahahahaha....

That reminds me of a ninjer video I saw one time that seemed to be dedicated to self defense if you have a bokken and you're being attacked by someone who is unarmed...

Just doesn't seem like a topic that needs a lot of covering.

Comment

I would have thought that maybe only one person would bring up the idea that aikido will do against MMA if the aikido person has a weapon, but in fact it seems to have been brought up by more than one person. It's hard to believe that people post stuff like this.

John Lewis1 week ago
                                Magic Banana is the problem aikido or the people today studying it or the terrible teachers passing this great art, aikido is a samurai art, if i put a live sword in my hand can you beat me?? I will use only aikido sword techniques, NO!! You will die a painful death, the techniques in aikido are based on the sword, passed down through Japanese history, jujitsu is used when the samurai doesn't have his sword on the battlefield so judo, jujitsu, sumo,, daito-ryu aikijitsu,, are all related arts, aikido has a lot of judo in it, ur arguments are invalid cause aikido techniques are in all Japanese and Chinese arts period and these arts were used in actual live combat in Japan, yes aikido today does suck, and that's sad, I'm a 4 stripe bjj blue belt at a high level bjj school

This kind of argument doesn't make any sense at all, since aikido people generally don't practice fencing or spar with blunt swords. There is no reason to think they would do any better against a historical fencer than they would against a MMA athlete.

Can you imagine a typical aikido guy who doesn't like emptyhanded sparring in the first place feeling comfortable being hit with a steel blunt?

https://youtu.be/XQzKIg0JgLY?t=55s

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X