Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best base for MMA, wrestling or BJJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the best base for MMA, wrestling or BJJ?

What is the ratio of wrestlers to BJJ players in MMA?

First, we have to define our terms. A wrestler is someone who had wrestling as his primary art before training in MMA.

Conversely, A BJJ player is someone who had BJJ as his primary art before training in MMA.

He/she got their Black belt or close to it prior to coming into MMA.

The D 1 wrestler had to wrestle at least 2 years as the #1 person in his weight class.

If D 2 they had to place in the top 8 at nationals.

These are just preliminary criteria. Please give them some constructive criticism.

One forumite suggested that my definition of "wrestler" is to stringent. That anyone with a high school wrestling background and one match beyond high school (could be junior college or club wrestling) is a wrestler. I think that the criteria to label wrestler should be more stringent.

However, I am open to suggestion.

Comment

Oh no, not more of your fecal finger painting...

Comment

PitFighting.

Comment

Originally posted by preschol View Post
          What is the ratio of wrestlers to BJJ players in MMA?

First, we have to define our terms. A wrestler is someone who had wrestling as his primary art before training in MMA.

Conversely, A BJJ player is someone who had BJJ as his primary art before training in MMA.

He/she got their Black belt or close to it prior to coming into MMA.

The D 1 wrestler had to wrestle at least 2 years as the #1 person in his weight class.

If D 2 they had to place in the top 8 at nationals.

These are just preliminary criteria. Please give them some constructive criticism.

One forumite suggested that my definition of "wrestler" is to stringent. That anyone with a high school wrestling background and one match beyond high school (could be junior college or club wrestling) is a wrestler. I think that the criteria to label wrestler should be more stringent.

However, I am open to suggestion.
          If you really are going to go down this then the methodology should be the same as what other highly skilled professions use to determine someone's prime proficiency, i.e. training hours. Once training hours in one art surpasses that of another in any significant way, that other art should be considered their primary art/proficiency.

Comment

This is stupid, BJJ is a TYPE of wrestling.
            Wrestling is included in BJJ.
            There is no way to determine when someone that wrestles and does BJJ is wrestling vs doing BJJ.

http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/jiu-jit...-champion/amp/

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
              This is stupid, BJJ is a TYPE of wrestling.
              Wrestling is included in BJJ.
              There is no way to determine when someone that wrestles and does BJJ is wrestling vs doing BJJ.

http://www.jiujitsutimes.com/jiu-jit...-champion/amp/
              Well the genius that wrote this considers Pankration greek wrestling with strikes added. I'm sure that Sambo is just Russian wrestling with a Jacket thrown on.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                Well the genius that wrote this considers Pankration greek wrestling with strikes added. I'm sure that Sambo is just Russian wrestling with a Jacket thrown on.
                As you know, Sambo was classified as one of the Wrestling styles falling under the Wrestling governing bodies until the collapse of the Soviet Union combined with the rise of BJJ and MMA mindshare caused Sambo to experience some fall off in the early nineties.
                But my gradeschool wrestling coaches were Penn State wrestlers or PS wrestling alumni who cross competed in Sambo at least experimentally, which they described to us as "crazy Russian jacket wrestling where it was legal to break the other guy's legs with leglocks".

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                  As you know, Sambo was classified as one of the Wrestling styles falling under the Wrestling governing bodies until the collapse of the Soviet Union combined with the rise of BJJ and MMA mindshare caused Sambo to experience some fall off in the early nineties.
                  But my gradeschool wrestling coaches were Penn State wrestlers or PS wrestling alumni who cross competed in Sambo at least experimentally, which they described to us as "crazy Russian jacket wrestling where it was legal to break the other guy's legs with leglocks".
                  Yeah and the Russians called BJJ Brazillian Jacket wrestling... Russians have odd ways of categorizing stuff. It's even more confusing when you get into throws, when things are outside hip throw variant 5(and the variants are club dependent).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                    Yeah and the Russians called BJJ Brazillian Jacket wrestling... Russians have odd ways of categorizing stuff. It's even more confusing when you get into throws, when things are outside hip throw variant 5(and the variants are club dependent).
                    Yes, in grappling it is often harder to keep up with all of the names for a given move than to simply show the move.
                    I go back and forth with how Japanese I should bother with regarding groundwork moves, and I know no Russian for grappling moves.
                    English variant names, Portuguese and Japanese names for the same move have all been annoying enough on their own.

Comment

Of course the best BASE for MMA is MMA

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X