X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speedycerviche
    replied
    Originally posted by kendamu View Post
    Thanks, dude! I did Suio Ryu for about a month before I realized I needed more sparring in my life. They're legit, but it's just not my pace. I'm pretty aware of the differences between what I'm doing and what's going on in my video and yours. I just thought "Knife Judo" was funnier than kumiuchi. I'll take a look into Tennen Rishin-ryū. They seem to be aligned with my personal expression of Weeb Kune Do.
    No worries! It is not just Tennen Rishin ryu that is like that, although few put videos on the net. Some schools and styles even make you do sparring before you are allowed to learn the kata. A lot of schools and styles do include some form of sparring it is just a lot of the popular ones (popular now they often were not in the old times) do not have it and some expressly forbid it.

Leave a comment:

• kendamu
    replied
    Originally posted by speedycerviche View Post
    This is a koryu school doing some sparring including grappling with weapons (shinaigeiko as they call it in this case). Grappling with weapons (in a military, police, civilian, or sporting context) is a large part of a lot of koryu and training in an alive manner is not uncommon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrokiAVPbJA

What style of koryu did you do? What works in BJJ often would not work well or at all when the person you are fighting has several sharp weapons. The first thing that changes is stuff happens really quick, they don't care as much for position and care more about either stabbing you or grabbing your weapon to stop you stabbing them which usually means stuff is done from further away and different angles than you see in BJJ. Also stuff happens quicker because, standing people are more upright and not standing in a wrestling stance are usually moving more and on the ground, far more concerned about getting their pointy things out and into you or stopping you from doing that to them than they are about position.

This video is from Takenouchi ryu (the oldest jujutsu school (although they didn't call themselves that as the term didn't exist at that point)) showing a lot of knife/weapon grappling in a formal manner. The video of grappling in armour posted before is from the same school.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0KIVAllAfY
    Thanks, dude! I did Suio Ryu for about a month before I realized I needed more sparring in my life. They're legit, but it's just not my pace.

I'm pretty aware of the differences between what I'm doing and what's going on in my video and yours. I just thought "Knife Judo" was funnier than kumiuchi.

I'll take a look into Tennen Rishin-ryū. They seem to be aligned with my personal expression of Weeb Kune Do.

Leave a comment:

• speedycerviche
    replied

Saw this on Facebook awhile back. I reuploaded it to YouTube to have a place where I could consistently find it. Had to change the music because copyright garbage.

What starts out looking like a historical reenactment starts to get pretty rad around :22 with the spear fighting that turns into... Knife Judo?

You get more Knife Judo at :35. You also get a pretty rad spear to the face at :54 followed up by one more bit of Knife Judo at 1:00. I don't think that mount would work on anyone in my BJJ class, but I've never done Knife Judo in Samurai Armor so maybe I'm just full of shit.

In any case, I'd have probably stuck with my Koryu training for more than a month if we got to do that sort of stuff.
    This is a koryu school doing some sparring including grappling with weapons (shinaigeiko as they call it in this case). Grappling with weapons (in a military, police, civilian, or sporting context) is a large part of a lot of koryu and training in an alive manner is not uncommon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrokiAVPbJA

What style of koryu did you do? What works in BJJ often would not work well or at all when the person you are fighting has several sharp weapons. The first thing that changes is stuff happens really quick, they don't care as much for position and care more about either stabbing you or grabbing your weapon to stop you stabbing them which usually means stuff is done from further away and different angles than you see in BJJ. Also stuff happens quicker because, standing people are more upright and not standing in a wrestling stance are usually moving more and on the ground, far more concerned about getting their pointy things out and into you or stopping you from doing that to them than they are about position.

This video is from Takenouchi ryu (the oldest jujutsu school (although they didn't call themselves that as the term didn't exist at that point)) showing a lot of knife/weapon grappling in a formal manner. The video of grappling in armour posted before is from the same school.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0KIVAllAfY

Leave a comment:

• BJMills
    replied
    Originally posted by RighteousDude View Post
    Pretty sure the purpose of hakama is the same as a pair of pants: covering your ass. Aikido guys can be pretty dumb. Aikido girls are sexy, though.
    You can't say aikido girls are sexy without posting pictures or videos.

Leave a comment:

• RighteousDude
    replied
    Originally posted by kevin g View Post
    Some Aikido guys still try to tell me the purpose of a hakama is to hide the feet, despite the fact that, in a duel, the first thing you'd do is hitch it up and tie back your sleeves to free up movement.
    Pretty sure the purpose of hakama is the same as a pair of pants: covering your ass. Aikido guys can be pretty dumb. Aikido girls are sexy, though.

Leave a comment:

• RighteousDude
    replied
    That's weird..googled, copied, and pasted one word and left the accent, but left it off the word for dumpling, even though both words have accented vowels. You must have googled both words. Anyway, what you said was only true hundreds of years ago. Most '-skis' around today have no relation to Polish nobles.

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    My people are on the side of Taras Bulba.
    (Actually, I am descended from Dombrovski's, for what that is worth, not sure what side they were on).
    That said, I had a blast in Warsaw, and the Polish people were very hospitable.
    Now I want pierogies...

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    I don't have any particular high regard for "samurai", or really, any regard at all.

They were mostly back stabbing, arrogant, greedy bastards as far as I can tell.

Feudalism sucks unless you are king, no matter how you slice it.

Leave a comment:

• Tramirezmma
    replied

Saw this on Facebook awhile back. I reuploaded it to YouTube to have a place where I could consistently find it. Had to change the music because copyright garbage.

What starts out looking like a historical reenactment starts to get pretty rad around :22 with the spear fighting that turns into... Knife Judo?

You get more Knife Judo at :35. You also get a pretty rad spear to the face at :54 followed up by one more bit of Knife Judo at 1:00. I don't think that mount would work on anyone in my BJJ class, but I've never done Knife Judo in Samurai Armor so maybe I'm just full of shit.

In any case, I'd have probably stuck with my Koryu training for more than a month if we got to do that sort of stuff.
    That's so much cooler than the Civil War reenactments only historians and racists do in the US.

Leave a comment:

• kevin g
    replied
    I'm all for raising my son with a "classical" education (more books and history and mythology, less videogames and electronic toys), but man, growing up without my Star Wars and Cobra figures or my Daredevil comics, or no Street Fighter or Samurai Shodown? That would have sucked.

But if I remember all my Stephen Turnbull books, more or less, the Samurai started off mostly mounted archers and using naginata and longer tachi, then eventually moved more toward infantry, lighter armor, regular katana, and with the rifle and long spear replacing the bow and naginata. But most of the people actually fighting were very lightly-armored ashigaru, and all the really cool suits of armor you see were just field commander watching from a distance.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Pun??
    I inherited Pun's Syndrome from my Mom...

Leave a comment:

• Bneterasedmynam
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    no matter how you slice it.
    Pun??

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    I'll tell you a (no longer) secret.
    I grew up reading history books and folktales about Japan, Samurai, and Japanese peasants, who through their merits rose to the station of blackened teeth.
    I loved the references to JuJutsu and Judo in the Ian Fleming books.
    I was not allowed to read comic books growing up, Dad didn't think it was a good use of time, and no action figures either, they were "dolls".
    (ironically the same rules were not applied to my siblings who born almost a decade after me).
    But Russian fairytales, Irish fairytales, mythology, the Brothers Grimm, and history were all allowed, so those were my version of comic books.
    But like comic books, as I came to young adulthood, I realized that the ninja movies and Samurai archetypes that the media were feeding me/America were fantastical.
    I grew up near enough to Valley Forge that it was still possible to find lead bullets and arrow heads.
    And the more I became exposed to that history because I lived around it, and talking to vets from modern combat, the more I began to appreciate that things dysentery, footwear, and supply lines, rather than fancy swords or silly black pajamas were the kind of things that probably moved the military needle.
    Working on farms made me sympathize more with the peasant farmers, as I became an adult, than with Knights or Samurai, most of whom were probably right bastards to the common folk.
    So, I like the history.
    And, I know that I unfortunately offend some people by pointing out that I think a lot of what we are fed about Samurai and ninja has no more basis in reality than Thomas Mallory's Le Morte D'Arthur.
    They are great tales. There may be things to be learned there.
    But, reality is a brutish, simple kind of thing, isn't it?
    And I have always been more impressed as adult with the people that managed to grow the crops the knights and samurai ate than the people who probably stole the fruits of the farmers labor, and the sons and daughters of the farmers, by brute force or the threat of brute force.
    When you look back at how the Samurai were said to have treated the common folk, they seem to be a bunch of serious assholes.
    I am not sure they are worthy of respect from that perspective.
    I don't have any particular high regard for "samurai", or really, any regard at all.

They were mostly back stabbing, arrogant, greedy bastards as far as I can tell.

Feudalism sucks unless you are king, no matter how you slice it.

Leave a comment:

• Dr. Gonzo
    replied
    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    If we were in dark age Poland I would have you whipped for your insolence.

Polish names that end in -icki are from Nobel Houses. Apparently my family couldn't hold on to their cash cause I have to work now instead of just beating mouthy peasants all day..... Oh how the mighty have fallen....
    My people are on the side of Taras Bulba.
    (Actually, I am descended from Dombrovski's, for what that is worth, not sure what side they were on).
    That said, I had a blast in Warsaw, and the Polish people were very hospitable.
    Now I want pierogies...

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    I'll tell you a (no longer) secret.
    I grew up reading history books and folktales about Japan, Samurai, and Japanese peasants, who through their merits rose to the station of blackened teeth.
    I loved the references to JuJutsu and Judo in the Ian Fleming books.
    I was not allowed to read comic books growing up, Dad didn't think it was a good use of time, and no action figures either, they were "dolls".
    (ironically the same rules were not applied to my siblings who born almost a decade after me).
    But Russian fairytales, Irish fairytales, mythology, the Brothers Grimm, and history were all allowed, so those were my version of comic books.
    But like comic books, as I came to young adulthood, I realized that the ninja movies and Samurai archetypes that the media were feeding me/America were fantastical.
    I grew up near enough to Valley Forge that it was still possible to find lead bullets and arrow heads.
    And the more I became exposed to that history because I lived around it, and talking to vets from modern combat, the more I began to appreciate that things dysentery, footwear, and supply lines, rather than fancy swords or silly black pajamas were the kind of things that probably moved the military needle.
    Working on farms made me sympathize more with the peasant farmers, as I became an adult, than with Knights or Samurai, most of whom were probably right bastards to the common folk.
    So, I like the history.
    And, I know that I unfortunately offend some people by pointing out that I think a lot of what we are fed about Samurai and ninja has no more basis in reality than Thomas Mallory's Le Morte D'Arthur.
    They are great tales. There may be things to be learned there.
    But, reality is a brutish, simple kind of thing, isn't it?
    And I have always been more impressed as adult with the people that managed to grow the crops the knights and samurai ate than the people who probably stole the fruits of the farmers labor, and the sons and daughters of the farmers, by brute force or the threat of brute force.
    When you look back at how the Samurai were said to have treated the common folk, they seem to be a bunch of serious assholes.
    I am not sure they are worthy of respect from that perspective.
    If we were in dark age Poland I would have you whipped for your insolence.

Polish names that end in -icki are from Nobel Houses. Apparently my family couldn't hold on to their cash cause I have to work now instead of just beating mouthy peasants all day..... Oh how the mighty have fallen....

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X