X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Samurai were prissy aristocrats so it is at least plausible.
    Samurai were a lot of things, including prissy aristocrats, but I get your point.

Leave a comment:

• Bneterasedmynam
    replied
    Originally posted by kevin g View Post
    Some Aikido guys still try to tell me the purpose of a hakama is to hide the feet, despite the fact that, in a duel, the first thing you'd do is hitch it up and tie back your sleeves to free up movement.

Cool hip throws, though. Escaping a full mount in armor must have been a bitch.
    Is there kicking in aikido?? Or are they trying to imply it's to mask footwork??

Leave a comment:

• Bneterasedmynam
    replied
    Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
    This is bullshit.

According to the commenters on my Aikido video, samurai were constantly throwing each other around with wristlocks.
    Samurai were prissy aristocrats so it is at least plausible.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    This clip is from an older documentary that I had found a while back. It is not ninja larping, but real deal koryu yoroi kumiuchi.

Leave a comment:

• kevin g
    replied
    Some Aikido guys still try to tell me the purpose of a hakama is to hide the feet, despite the fact that, in a duel, the first thing you'd do is hitch it up and tie back your sleeves to free up movement.

Cool hip throws, though. Escaping a full mount in armor must have been a bitch.

Leave a comment:

• Holy Moment
    replied
    This is bullshit.

According to the commenters on my Aikido video, samurai were constantly throwing each other around with wristlocks.

Leave a comment:

• kendamu
    started a topic Samurai LARPing I can Get Behind!

Samurai LARPing I can Get Behind!

Saw this on Facebook awhile back. I reuploaded it to YouTube to have a place where I could consistently find it. Had to change the music because copyright garbage.

What starts out looking like a historical reenactment starts to get pretty rad around :22 with the spear fighting that turns into... Knife Judo?

You get more Knife Judo at :35. You also get a pretty rad spear to the face at :54 followed up by one more bit of Knife Judo at 1:00. I don't think that mount would work on anyone in my BJJ class, but I've never done Knife Judo in Samurai Armor so maybe I'm just full of shit.

In any case, I'd have probably stuck with my Koryu training for more than a month if we got to do that sort of stuff.

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X