Samurai LARPing I can Get Behind!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    My people are on the side of Taras Bulba.
    (Actually, I am descended from Dombrovski's, for what that is worth, not sure what side they were on).
    That said, I had a blast in Warsaw, and the Polish people were very hospitable.
    Now I want pierogies...

Comment

That's weird..googled, copied, and pasted one word and left the accent, but left it off the word for dumpling, even though both words have accented vowels. You must have googled both words. Anyway, what you said was only true hundreds of years ago. Most '-skis' around today have no relation to Polish nobles.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin g View Post
        Some Aikido guys still try to tell me the purpose of a hakama is to hide the feet, despite the fact that, in a duel, the first thing you'd do is hitch it up and tie back your sleeves to free up movement.
        Pretty sure the purpose of hakama is the same as a pair of pants: covering your ass. Aikido guys can be pretty dumb. Aikido girls are sexy, though.

Comment

Originally posted by RighteousDude View Post
          Pretty sure the purpose of hakama is the same as a pair of pants: covering your ass. Aikido guys can be pretty dumb. Aikido girls are sexy, though.
          You can't say aikido girls are sexy without posting pictures or videos.

Comment

Originally posted by kendamu View Post

Saw this on Facebook awhile back. I reuploaded it to YouTube to have a place where I could consistently find it. Had to change the music because copyright garbage.

What starts out looking like a historical reenactment starts to get pretty rad around :22 with the spear fighting that turns into... Knife Judo?

You get more Knife Judo at :35. You also get a pretty rad spear to the face at :54 followed up by one more bit of Knife Judo at 1:00. I don't think that mount would work on anyone in my BJJ class, but I've never done Knife Judo in Samurai Armor so maybe I'm just full of shit.

In any case, I'd have probably stuck with my Koryu training for more than a month if we got to do that sort of stuff.
            This is a koryu school doing some sparring including grappling with weapons (shinaigeiko as they call it in this case). Grappling with weapons (in a military, police, civilian, or sporting context) is a large part of a lot of koryu and training in an alive manner is not uncommon.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrokiAVPbJA

What style of koryu did you do? What works in BJJ often would not work well or at all when the person you are fighting has several sharp weapons. The first thing that changes is stuff happens really quick, they don't care as much for position and care more about either stabbing you or grabbing your weapon to stop you stabbing them which usually means stuff is done from further away and different angles than you see in BJJ. Also stuff happens quicker because, standing people are more upright and not standing in a wrestling stance are usually moving more and on the ground, far more concerned about getting their pointy things out and into you or stopping you from doing that to them than they are about position.

This video is from Takenouchi ryu (the oldest jujutsu school (although they didn't call themselves that as the term didn't exist at that point)) showing a lot of knife/weapon grappling in a formal manner. The video of grappling in armour posted before is from the same school.
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0KIVAllAfY

Comment

Originally posted by speedycerviche View Post
              This is a koryu school doing some sparring including grappling with weapons (shinaigeiko as they call it in this case). Grappling with weapons (in a military, police, civilian, or sporting context) is a large part of a lot of koryu and training in an alive manner is not uncommon.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrokiAVPbJA

What style of koryu did you do? What works in BJJ often would not work well or at all when the person you are fighting has several sharp weapons. The first thing that changes is stuff happens really quick, they don't care as much for position and care more about either stabbing you or grabbing your weapon to stop you stabbing them which usually means stuff is done from further away and different angles than you see in BJJ. Also stuff happens quicker because, standing people are more upright and not standing in a wrestling stance are usually moving more and on the ground, far more concerned about getting their pointy things out and into you or stopping you from doing that to them than they are about position.

This video is from Takenouchi ryu (the oldest jujutsu school (although they didn't call themselves that as the term didn't exist at that point)) showing a lot of knife/weapon grappling in a formal manner. The video of grappling in armour posted before is from the same school.
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0KIVAllAfY
              Thanks, dude! I did Suio Ryu for about a month before I realized I needed more sparring in my life. They're legit, but it's just not my pace.

I'm pretty aware of the differences between what I'm doing and what's going on in my video and yours. I just thought "Knife Judo" was funnier than kumiuchi.

I'll take a look into Tennen Rishin-ryū. They seem to be aligned with my personal expression of Weeb Kune Do.

Comment

Originally posted by kendamu View Post
                Thanks, dude! I did Suio Ryu for about a month before I realized I needed more sparring in my life. They're legit, but it's just not my pace. I'm pretty aware of the differences between what I'm doing and what's going on in my video and yours. I just thought "Knife Judo" was funnier than kumiuchi. I'll take a look into Tennen Rishin-ryū. They seem to be aligned with my personal expression of Weeb Kune Do.
                No worries! It is not just Tennen Rishin ryu that is like that, although few put videos on the net. Some schools and styles even make you do sparring before you are allowed to learn the kata. A lot of schools and styles do include some form of sparring it is just a lot of the popular ones (popular now they often were not in the old times) do not have it and some expressly forbid it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X