Samurai LARPing I can Get Behind!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samurai LARPing I can Get Behind!

Saw this on Facebook awhile back. I reuploaded it to YouTube to have a place where I could consistently find it. Had to change the music because copyright garbage.

What starts out looking like a historical reenactment starts to get pretty rad around :22 with the spear fighting that turns into... Knife Judo?

You get more Knife Judo at :35. You also get a pretty rad spear to the face at :54 followed up by one more bit of Knife Judo at 1:00. I don't think that mount would work on anyone in my BJJ class, but I've never done Knife Judo in Samurai Armor so maybe I'm just full of shit.

In any case, I'd have probably stuck with my Koryu training for more than a month if we got to do that sort of stuff.

This is bullshit.

According to the commenters on my Aikido video, samurai were constantly throwing each other around with wristlocks.

Comment

Some Aikido guys still try to tell me the purpose of a hakama is to hide the feet, despite the fact that, in a duel, the first thing you'd do is hitch it up and tie back your sleeves to free up movement.

Cool hip throws, though. Escaping a full mount in armor must have been a bitch.

Comment

This clip is from an older documentary that I had found a while back. It is not ninja larping, but real deal koryu yoroi kumiuchi.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
          This is bullshit.

According to the commenters on my Aikido video, samurai were constantly throwing each other around with wristlocks.
          Samurai were prissy aristocrats so it is at least plausible.

Comment

Originally posted by kevin g View Post
            Some Aikido guys still try to tell me the purpose of a hakama is to hide the feet, despite the fact that, in a duel, the first thing you'd do is hitch it up and tie back your sleeves to free up movement.

Cool hip throws, though. Escaping a full mount in armor must have been a bitch.
            Is there kicking in aikido?? Or are they trying to imply it's to mask footwork??

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
              Samurai were prissy aristocrats so it is at least plausible.
              Samurai were a lot of things, including prissy aristocrats, but I get your point.

Comment

Is there kicking in aikido?? Or are they trying to imply it's to mask footwork??
                The latter. Because when you're facing a guy with a three foot straight razor, you spend a lot of time looking at his feet.

Comment

Someone should post that video to the ninjer section of MAP. Weapons, armor, hidden weapons... it's every trope they claim they train for that makes them too deadly to spar.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                    The latter. Because when you're facing a guy with a three foot straight razor, you spend a lot of time looking at his feet.
                    Having aikido pants on would make it impossible not to stare. That being said I see zero advantage to overly baggy pants in a swordfight.

Comment

Originally posted by kendamu View Post

Saw this on Facebook awhile back. I reuploaded it to YouTube to have a place where I could consistently find it. Had to change the music because copyright garbage.

What starts out looking like a historical reenactment starts to get pretty rad around :22 with the spear fighting that turns into... Knife Judo?

You get more Knife Judo at :35. You also get a pretty rad spear to the face at :54 followed up by one more bit of Knife Judo at 1:00. I don't think that mount would work on anyone in my BJJ class, but I've never done Knife Judo in Samurai Armor so maybe I'm just full of shit.

In any case, I'd have probably stuck with my Koryu training for more than a month if we got to do that sort of stuff.
                      That's pretty neat.

Comment

Having aikido pants on would make it impossible not to stare. That being said I see zero advantage to overly baggy pants in a swordfight.
                        They are for horse riding I was told. Samurai were mounted archers first and foremost I have been told....... sure that is wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                          They are for horse riding I was told. Samurai were mounted archers first and foremost I have been told....... sure that is wrong though.
                          My understanding is that Samurai, in their actual warring days, preferred mounted archery as you mentioned, and then typically fought with a spear.
                          Spears had greater range than swords, with little tactical disadvantage in open ground, and swords, when they were had, were treasures.
                          Or so I have read and been told.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                            I think I heard the same thing. Horse riding would make sense. I just know that baggy clothes and swordfighting don't mix well.

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                              My understanding is that Samurai, in their actual warring days, preferred mounted archery as you mentioned, and then typically fought with a spear.
                              Spears had greater range than swords, with little tactical disadvantage in open ground, and swords, when they were had, were treasures.
                              Or so I have read and been told.
                              IMHO spears work best in formations and while mounted. In a 1v1 open ground scenario they do have a couple draw backs.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X