Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knives: An early sign to stay away from this club, I say yes, or am I too harsh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by D Dempsey View Post
    In the U.S. at least it's not exactly difficult to do so, and even easier if they have contacts or students who work there. Lots of governmental orgs both local and federal will have different instructors come in and demo stuff or do a workshop, typically unpaid.
    It's the same in the UK. It's almost always used as a selling point and whilst not an outright lie it's usually highly disingnuous. It doesn't denote quality and a day long seminar or short course doesn't equal endorsement by whichever agency they've visited.

It doesn't necessarily mean they're bad either but going by the OP, this club doesn't sound great.

It's a kind of appeal to authority that's a bug bear of mine in martial arts.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, it cements my thoughts about the situation well.
      The dojo is in Australia and they had trained the Australian Defense Force, although some time ago.
      I have just written an email to send to them about my concerns and have not and will not be going back. Shame really as I was hoping they were better than making a fun activity into one with the potential to cause serious harm.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthling View Post
        The dojo is in Australia and they had trained the Australian Defense Force.
        Maybe I'm getting mixed up with the EDL but that seriously sounds like a neo Nazi group.
        There is a bit of a thing with aikido and live blades. A few years back I was talking to a guy who managed to get cut with a katana during a public demo.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthling View Post
          The dojo is in Australia and they had trained the Australian Defense Force, although some time ago.
          Whereabouts is this gym?

Comment

Originally posted by cualltaigh View Post
            Whereabouts is this gym?
            Mostly just in Perth with a strong leaning towards self-defense.
            Last edited by Earthling; 4/23/2017 5:08pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by Mandem View Post
              Maybe I'm getting mixed up with the EDL but that seriously sounds like a neo Nazi group.
              Defence Force is the title used when there aren't enough soldiers to call it an Army/Navy/whatever. When I joined in the mid 90's, the British Army was technically a Defence Force: Land.

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyOldMan View Post
                OP-Can I ask your age? I'm simply curious because the closer I get to the half-century mark, the more assertive I become in the interest of self-preservation. You should have refused to participate the moment you realized you were working with an actual blade.

I can't say exactly how I would react to what was described, but I definitely would have brought my participation to an abrupt halt, and there is a good possibility that everyone present would have been very clear how stupid the situation, and the person creating it, really are.

Yes, there is trust placed in your instructor and sparring/training partner for your well being and blah blah blah, but ultimately you are responsible for your own safety, especially in an environment where some fuckstick demonstrates clear negligence and disregard for student welfare.

Assuming the OP has given an accurate and genuine accounting of events, this is probably the most deserving of an actual investigation that I have seen in my admittedly brief participation here.

Comment

A sharp knife in a dojo is an easy way to tell that they don't attack each other earnestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Cake of Doom View Post
                    Defence Force is the title used when there aren't enough soldiers to call it an Army/Navy/whatever. When I joined in the mid 90's, the British Army was technically a Defence Force: Land.
                    I think it's not far off that now.

Comment

Originally posted by Kovacs View Post
                      I think it's not far off that now.
                      same old, same old. It won't be long and the ATC's will be full of instructors that have never been operational. It's a sad state to be in for the sake of saving a pound note.

Comment

Originally posted by Cake of Doom View Post
                        same old, same old. It won't be long and the ATC's will be full of instructors that have never been operational. It's a sad state to be in for the sake of saving a pound note.

It's already happened, guys with multiple tours under them can go on courses run by DS with less or sometimes no operational (i.e. Kinetic) experience.

It's not as bad as it sounds though as the blokes with more experience are there more for confirmation and a ticked box than to be trained. On my FTCC we had toms with zero operational experience next to guys with 2-3 naughty tours behind them all in the same section and it actually worked very well.

The main problem is when there's too much of an experienced, useful rank, The MOD tends to make redundancies to save money but in doing loses some of the most experienced blokes and it's catastrophic for morale. They did it with corporal/sagreants nearing the end of Afghan and it was a recruitment and retention catastrophe.

We're let down from the top, always have, always will be.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X