Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knives: An early sign to stay away from this club, I say yes, or am I too harsh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knives: An early sign to stay away from this club, I say yes, or am I too harsh?

Hi guys, its been a while since I've trained (several years aikido) and I thought I would try a different discipline that has opened a new dojo in my area. The club itself has been around for some time and this dojo is them expanding to new areas.

First class I went too there is just two of us students and one sensei. Earlier classes have a dozen students or more.

All goes well to begin with, but after 30mins of training sensei walks off and comes back with a live bowie style knife, that's sharp.
    The other student has been to half a dozen classes with very little previous martial training.
    Sensei asks us to attack with a thrust to the stomach. No warning that its a live weapon, that its sharp etc, apart from "This is my favorite knife"

After a few thrusts he gets chatting to the other student and as I like, own and usually carry a knife I checked it out, felt the edge and point, check out the steel etc. Sensei says "Don't touch the edge or tip, its VERY sharp!"

My thoughts are that duty of care seems to be seriously lacking here.
    1:Live knives should only be used when someone has had and shown good training in using a wooden knife or a knife with NO edge.
    2.Students should be told the knife is sharp when it comes onto the mat.
    3.The warning sensei gave me shows that's sensei sees it as possibly injurious to a student, but lacked the fortitude/skill/aptitude to tell us.
    4.Makes me feel unsafe and I don't want to go again.

Am I being a tad oversensitive or am I justified in my conclusions?

There were a few other warning signs such as lots of name dropping and mentioning of previous martial arts teaching to Govt organisations. Lots of ego puffing...

Nope. You are not crazy or being harsh. I actually kinda feel like you are being a little too kind honestly.
    The Aikido would have been enough for me to walk out but you went there for that purpose so I do understand you being patient with it. Having a new student come at you with a live blade is retarded on so many levels.

Comment

I should add we were attacking each other with the knife (students), not the sensei...

Comment

Never go back there.

Comment

I forgot to approve my post after I approved OP's ...

Originally posted by Earthling View Post
          I should add we were attacking each other with the knife (students), not the sensei...
          Oh god no. That is beyond just unsafe, that is negligent.

We should know who this instructor is and this is going to YMAS.
          Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 4/13/2017 10:01pm, . Reason: illiteracy

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
            Nope. You are not crazy or being harsh. I actually kinda feel like you are being a little too kind honestly.
            The Aikido would have been enough for me to walk out but you went there for that purpose so I do understand you being patient with it. Having a new student come at you with a live blade is retarded on so many levels.
            I concour and I have big hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Earthling View Post
              Dude!?! Really? Why?

Comment

I'm more concerned about the claims of teaching government organisations!

Seriously though, training with live blades is just retarded. I'm all for pushing realism as much as practically possible but that's a step too far, the permanent injuries won't justify it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kovacs View Post
                  Seriously though, training with live blades is just retarded. I'm all for pushing realism as much as practically possible but that's a step too far, the permanent injuries won't justify it.
                  Beyond that, it's pretty well established that fighting against a knife-wielder, irrespective of whether you have a knife, means you are most likely getting cut. If they are training and not getting cut, it's only by the attacker performing in a precise and scripted manner to ensure nobody is getting injured. This in turn means that training is useless. So automatically, if you see real knives in training, you know you're dealing with an ineffective art. I mean, maybe if everybody wore chainmail or something, but then the net effect would be the same as training knives, so why bother?

Comment

It seems like a great way to get a high turnover rate for the dojo.

Instructor: "here noobs play with these razor sharp knives".

Student: "but sir what if we get hurt??".

Instructor: "shut you mouth pussy and attack while screaming HIIIYYYAAAA!!".

Comment

So who do you think gets charged for manslaughter here once some one gets turned into a fucking kabob? I haven't watched law and order lately so my legal knowledge is a little rusty.

Comment

Originally posted by Kovacs View Post
                        I'm more concerned about the claims of teaching government organisations!
                        In the U.S. at least it's not exactly difficult to do so, and even easier if they have contacts or students who work there. Lots of governmental orgs both local and federal will have different instructors come in and demo stuff or do a workshop, typically unpaid.

Comment

OP-Can I ask your age? I'm simply curious because the closer I get to the half-century mark, the more assertive I become in the interest of self-preservation. You should have refused to participate the moment you realized you were working with an actual blade.

I can't say exactly how I would react to what was described, but I definitely would have brought my participation to an abrupt halt, and there is a good possibility that everyone present would have been very clear how stupid the situation, and the person creating it, really are.

Yes, there is trust placed in your instructor and sparring/training partner for your well being and blah blah blah, but ultimately you are responsible for your own safety, especially in an environment where some fuckstick demonstrates clear negligence and disregard for student welfare.

Assuming the OP has given an accurate and genuine accounting of events, this is probably the most deserving of an actual investigation that I have seen in my admittedly brief participation here.

Comment

Or he's trolling. Either way.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                              Or he's trolling. Either way.
                              Hence my statement, "assuming... an accurate and genuine accounting of events"

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X