Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do instructors feel the need to claim their martial art is best for self defense?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    LOL! I have ADT alarm systems.
    The Marketing for Tactical Shooting, Alarms (ADT was particularly evil for a while), self defense courses, Religion, magic, etc... are all most commonly leveraging on insecurity and fear of the unknown. The products are all suppose to bring "security of mind" (I think that was actually ADT's slogan for a while) and confidence when facing unknown.

    It isn't rocket science and it fucking works. Over and over and over again it works. Unfortunately it tends to lend itself to some pretty terrible social ripples and you end up with what used to be low level but constant fear mongering into literal panic inducing media saturation.
    Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
    Literally the first step in marketing is to create a need, the fastest route is to appeal to fear.
    NO Marketing is not about creating need.
    Value. Marketing creates Value through Need/Want satisfiers. The value of eternal life, safety, defense against the dark arts is what has to be expressed.

    The Thais on the other hand have a full on social programing element to their marketing. They go the complete other way. Marketing is fascinating.

    Comment


      #62
      [QUOTE=WFMurphyPhD;2925718]Whenever an ex

      Busted, LOL. I will tell you my secret...I take TONS of steroids :) I am going to stop arguing with Rey now, because we are really on similar sides. You are correct...I see more injuries in wrestling than anything else.

      Moving on: I love this site. I get sooooooo sick of all the Bullshit in Martial arts. That is why we always had the challenge matches. I have lots of great stories. It was always the "we are too deadly to spar" one that really pissed me off. F you, I will fight you in the parking lot right now.

      "We target soft tissues, eyes, throat, groin."

      See, here is the deal: Yes, eye gouges, head butts and groin strikes work. But you are not getting anywhere CLOSE if you cannot box, kick, wrestle, and ground fight. You are not getting any where near my face because I boxed (plus MT, KykuK, etc.) for 6 years. You will be unconscious long before you are in trapping range.

      There is absolutely no f'in way your mystical "anti grappling defense" and "internal Chi" is going to stop my takedowns, I wrestled for more than 5 years.

      On the ground you will not bite of groin strike because position is the most fundamental aspect of BJJ (or used to be, YMMV). Now I train groin strikes on the ground because I have 4 years of solid BJJ. The strikes come as part of my sub defense and guard passing or closed guard.

      The sport aspects must be mastered first.

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
        LOL! I have ADT alarm systems.
        is that in case the alligators and or wild pigs try to get into your house?

        you're the last person I would have thought wouldn't succumb to all that fear-mongering in their advertising.

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
          NO Marketing is not about creating need.
          Value. Marketing creates Value through Need/Want satisfiers.
          You can't create value without need, by your own calculus. I maybe should have posted "identify need," but often the need is created out of whole cloth. [cough]Apple[/cough]

          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by preschol View Post
            How about this, guys: Tell me, today, if we analyze all of the sport BJJ programs in the country and ask "how well suited is the training for self defense?"

            What would the aggregate answer be? Say there are 250 programs. What would the breakdown be? I posit that the overwhelming majority would NOT be oriented towards self defense.
            All the largest teams have a self defense and mma core. I would say it's easily the most fight ready martial art. The largest teams have it in their curriculums. I would say between mma and self defense they are the majority.

            20 years ago, there were far fewer programs, but all I trained in were oriented towards self defense. Scoring in competitions were oriented towards self defense.
            true.

            Now comparably how many boxing schools get you ready for takedowns and subs? 0

            How many free style/folk/Greco-Roman wrestling programs teach strikes and subs? 0

            How many muay thai programs teach subs? 0

            Bjj wins again.

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by BKR View Post
              is that in case the alligators and or wild pigs try to get into your house?

              you're the last person I would have thought wouldn't succumb to all that fear-mongering in their advertising.
              In the past 3 years I had to apprehend two sets of trespassers.
              One was a high to the gills vet who was struggling with addiction and VA prescription problems,
              And the other was a set of teenagers.
              My property already has scattered game cameras on it and some motion detecting lights in key places, and some dogs, including a doberman.
              But I thought the alarm might help keep my wife or I from having to shoot someone by helping to deter them from sticking around when the loud alarm went off if they were stupid enough to persist past the rest.
              Ironically, when I have beehives on the property, they could really get themselves hurt, because when my wife allows me to indulge in that hobby, I usually end up with a few hundred hives on the property for parts or all of the year.
              Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 4/06/2017 4:30pm, .

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                You can't create value without need, by your own calculus. I maybe should have posted "identify need," but often the need is created out of whole cloth. [cough]Apple[/cough]
                One of the biggest differences in the old school and new school approaches to Marketing is where the Need is. New school approach has the need built into the multi-channel plan without actively sabotaging the self esteem and confidence in the Advertising sections. It is a subtle but distinct difference with big implications.
                Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 4/06/2017 4:34pm, . Reason: it's like sex, I never get it right the first time.

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                  In the past 3 years I had to apprehend two sets of trespassers.
                  One was a high to the gills vet who was struggling with addiction and VA prescription problems,
                  And the other was a set of teenagers.
                  My property already has scattered game cameras on it and some motion detecting lights in key places, and some dogs, including a doberman.
                  But I thought the alarm might help keep my wife or I from having to shoot someone by helping to deter them from sticking around when the loud alarm went off if they were stupid enough to persist past the rest.
                  Ironically, when I have beehives on the property, they could really get themselves hurt, because when my wife allows me to indulge in that hobby, I usually end up with a few hundred hives on the property for parts or all of the year.
                  Release the Hounds AND THE BEES!

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
                    One of the biggest differences in the old school and new school approaches to Marketing is where the Need is. New school approach has the need built into the multi-channel plan without actively sabotaging the self esteem and confidence in the Advertising sections. It is a subtle but distinct difference with big implications.
                    The biggest difference I've noticed in current marketing is that all the commercials are fucking retarded and make me hate and actively avoid their products.

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Boxing is all about footwork, footwork, footwork. It goes perfectly with wrestling.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                        In the past 3 years I had to apprehend two sets of trespassers.
                        One was a high to the gills vet who was struggling with addiction and VA prescription problems,
                        And the other was a set of teenagers.
                        My property already has scattered game cameras on it and some motion detecting lights in key places, and some dogs, including a doberman.
                        But I thought the alarm might help keep my wife or I from having to shoot someone by helping to deter them from sticking around when the loud alarm went off if they were stupid enough to persist past the rest.
                        Ironically, when I have beehives on the property, they could really get themselves hurt, because when my wife allows me to indulge in that hobby, I usually end up with a few hundred hives on the property for parts or all of the year.
                        Alarm is the first phase of a home defense system. Next, the dogs, although I am done trying to have 2 game bread Pit Bulls and having to break them apart from fighting. One dog home now. Me and guns are the last line of defense.

                        We did have an attempted home invasion. Wife and son were boxed in the driveway, but I got the drop on the intruders. The upside was wifey let me buy an AR-15. She still refuses to learn to shoot.

                        Comment

                        Collapse

                        Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                        Working...
                        X