Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do instructors feel the need to claim their martial art is best for self defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    "Are your children going to die from what's being served in the school cafeteria? Story at 10:00", said Tucker Carlson.
    Go check out some ADT commercials...

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
      "Are your children going to die from what's being served in the school cafeteria? Story at 10:00", said Tucker Carlson.
      That news story predates Tucker Carlson by at least a generation. Look up the exploding pickup truck.

Immigrants gonna terk yer jerb.

Social Security is going to shut down and your grandma will eat cat food.

They're going to take your guns.

They're going to sell guns to street gangs.

If you don't look 18 no one will ever find you attractive.

Fear is always the easiest selling point.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
        Go check out some ADT commercials...
        ADT doesn't work on the street.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
          I'd surmise, based on no particular evidence:

1. Ego. Martial arts are all at least nominally fighting arts. Sport based arts happily develop and refine their techniques in the ring and/or on the mats, but non-sportive arts have to justify themselves as something other than light gymnastics in pajamas. The path of least resistance is to recirculate tales of the founder's or former high ranking students being placid faced badasses, or reassuring one another that the theoretical underpinnings of their training could only result in omnipotence.
          I hate this so much! "Oh, well sparring is for egotistical people. [Founder/previous Grandmaster] tested his techniques in open combat and won all the time! That means they work so we can just do kata all day!"

Well, no shit it works for people who actually try to use it against other people! Just because Royce Gracie kicked a bunch of ass back in the '90s doesn't mean I'll be able to armbar a resisting opponent just by doing compliant drills all the time.

Like, if the past generations of people made the art effective by actually doing it against people and you're saying it's still useful today, then maybe that ingredient shouldn't be taken out of how it's practiced today.

Comment

In case no one has said it yet, because they lack the balls to do challenge matches Gracie style to prove the effectiveness of their art, so they just claim it instead and say it is too deadly to be challenged.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
              In case no one has said it yet, because they lack the balls to do challenge matches Gracie style to prove the effectiveness of their art, so they just claim it instead and say it is too deadly to be challenged.
              You know it's ok if you want to take Gracie's dick out of your mouth now. He came you already swallowed so it's ok you can take it out now.

Comment

It keeps the street out of your house.

But, if it fails, you get sand in your living room...

Comment

Originally posted by kendamu View Post
                  I hate this so much! "Oh, well sparring is for egotistical people. [Founder/previous Grandmaster] tested his techniques in open combat and won all the time! That means they work so we can just do kata all day!"
                  This always struck me as the ultimate in irony. To test your training, techniques and skills against a willing partner, in a setting where the safety of both parties is pretty much assured, and the rules of engagement are clearly agreed upon beforehand is vainglory. But, somehow, running around kicking the ever living shit out of random people in t3h sr33tz is legit.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                    It keeps the street out of your house.

But, if it fails, you get sand in your living room...
                    I swear I got that in a fortune cookie once.

Comment

When watching these ads I keep waiting for the homeowner to pull out a M4 and it never happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
                        When watching these ads I keep waiting for the homeowner to pull out a M4 and it never happens.
                        That would kind of undermine the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
                          You know it's ok if you want to take Gracie's dick out of your mouth now. He came you already swallowed so it's ok you can take it out now.

Comment

That would kind of undermine the pitch.
                            I thought the point of the alarm system was to wake you up in time for you to grab your rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
                              I thought the point of the alarm system was to wake you up in time for you to grab your rifle.
                              Nah, it's so they can call your wife and she can tearfully tell them it's a false alarm.

Comment

Keeping up with the Joneses. When the next dojo down the road says their style is one of the most effective styles, how do you respond? Most respond by talking up their style, until you get where you're at today.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X