Sport Vs Street BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
    Great question. $135 per stripe and $255 per belt. You must test through all that you want verified. So if you show up at a Gracie University affiliate with a brown belt with 3 stripes your course of fees to get your belt recognized will look like this:
    Blue Belt: $255
    Stripe 1: $135
    Stripe 2: $135
    Stripe 3: $135
    Stripe 4: $135
    Purple Belt: $255
    Stripe 4: $135
    Brown Belt: $255

So grand total $2250 in order to have something you have already earned recognized...
    Jesus.......

I have integrity. ... They have huge piles of cash and get to teach bjj full-time. I don't feel like I am ahead in this race.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
      Jesus.......

I have integrity. ... They have huge piles of cash and get to teach bjj full-time. I don't feel like I am ahead in this race.
      There is a Power Law in everything.

That is one reason for instructors with local schools not to bother competing regarding youtube channels with the Gracie Academy or Marcelo Garcia online or BudoVideos DVDs with world techniques shown by the World Champions themselves.

Rather, the skillful play for the small school may to figure out how best to leverage and integrate that infrastructure and investment other people have made to make one's own school more productive, and "bigger" than it should be regarding the value add that it focuses on delivering.

Namely, by providing top notch group classes, clean and professional mat environments, and probably most importantly, high quality personalized coaching and instruction services (which I don't suspect that the GU or MGO or the DVDs can do as well if at all).

Always focus on one providing value from one's greatest ability to provide differentiated value add kind of thing.

If this model does not scale as well, then one should probably figure out how to do it so well, that it can focus on serving the best of the best customers and charge a premium to compensate for the limit in scalable volume of running the premium valued added service model compared to the product based model (online sub, dvds, etc).

I suspect that the Valente Brothers execute the model that I describe very, very well. And I admire them for that high class execution.
      Last edited by Dr. Gonzo; 3/29/2017 8:48am, .

Comment

Jesus.......

Well you could always get your black belt verified and open an affiliate =D

There is something to be said for integrity. I bet none of your students feel like a pay check to you either.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
          They're easy to spot, aren't they? Any time somebody's answer for dealing with a skilled grappler begins with "I would just," you know they don't know what they're talking about.
          Unless they say, "I would just hand over my wallet."

Comment

Helio is in the wrong spot there.
            https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighte...soneca-moreira

Says he got his bb from carlos jr. you thinking of somone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Kravbizarre View Post
              https://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighte...soneca-moreira

Says he got his bb from carlos jr. you thinking of somone else?
              Have you trained with Prof Soneca lately?

Comment

Originally posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
                Have you trained with Prof Soneca lately?
                Well he doesnt live in the country im in but hes got a seminar where i train next month so should be good. Was meant to have a seminar with romulo barral (if ive spelt it right) but he had issues with his visa or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Kravbizarre View Post
                  Well he doesnt live in the country im in but hes got a seminar where i train next month so should be good. Was meant to have a seminar with romulo barral (if ive spelt it right) but he had issues with his visa or something.
                  Ah, I saw his Brissie seminar got cancelled but didn't know why. Fair enough.

Comment

I think people who don't train for the purpose of developing fighting skill but still believe they can fight as well as they could fight if they did train for that purpose are delusional.

Also, a couple things about the rant in that second video. First, you shouldn't have to be a black belt before you know how to fight. You should know how to fight by the time you're a blue belt. If you're not training specifically for that purpose from day one, that shit is not going to happen by blue belt.

Second, I personally know several sport jiu jitsu guys in the brown and black belt levels who I know for a fact have never been punched in the face, even in training. I think that is flat out fucking embarrassing.
                    I meant that to be a up vote, dam fingers

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                      I've posted it before, but I'll do it again

The above is the result of researching, learning and pressure testing disarms. If you can't get sims, use airsoft. If what you are doing won't work against airsoft it simply will not work(speed and ballistics and all).

Nah. What you need is magic and a bunch of Japanese-sounding words to defeat teh realz.

Comment

Originally posted by rnc357 View Post
                        I meant that to be a up vote, dam fingers
                        No worries. Whenever someone down votes me I automatically assume it was an accident.

Comment

No worries. Whenever someone down votes me I automatically assume it was an accident.
                          crap. sorry, i meant to down vote. damn conscience.

Comment

Gray area again but I Would say Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, especially Asian Mma.
                            Aw shit, you know that's bullshit dude. Most MMA fighters don't train at a GJJ academy, though many do. But let's not over do it lol.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X