No announcement yet.

Training for Real

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that's the reason I never like street policing as much as corrections. On the street I found myself always wanting to let people go. I've seen what prison time does to people and always would like to keep people out of prison if possible. In my mind, what are you doing? You are taking a gun and shooting it at a range. You aren't using it to commit crime, threaten people, or anything like that. You aren't even hunting with it. Just shooting paper. I would think the judge would have looked at those factors and said, probation.

We had someone the other day get 135 years for recycling cars that weren't totaled. He told people they were, and then took the parts and sold them or recycled them. Then we had a lady get 3 years for driving around a school bus, that had its lights on and stop sign out, and killed two kids in the process. Sentencing is bullshit a lot of times.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

Originally posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Yeah, that's the reason I never like street policing as much as corrections. On the street I found myself always wanting to let people go. I've seen what prison time does to people and always would like to keep people out of prison if possible. In my mind, what are you doing? You are taking a gun and shooting it at a range. You aren't using it to commit crime, threaten people, or anything like that. You aren't even hunting with it. Just shooting paper. I would think the judge would have looked at those factors and said, probation.

We had someone the other day get 135 years for recycling cars that weren't totaled. He told people they were, and then took the parts and sold them or recycled them. Then we had a lady get 3 years for driving around a school bus, that had its lights on and stop sign out, and killed two kids in the process. Sentencing is bullshit a lot of times.
      Yeah sentencing is certainly uneven and can really be heavy handed.
      The funny part going against everything I just said, but punishment isn't that much of a deterrent.
      The reason why is, is if you ask almost every single dumb ass criminal that has ever gotten caught why they did something, they are going to tell you that they didn't think they would get caught.

Its a complex issue maintaining order in a society where certain people don't really agree to participate properly in society, but they didn't really have a choice about if they even really wanted to be a part of society.
      Of course the whole nature of politics is about how much of a an individual owes to society and vice versa.

But really the bigger problem here is the weird nature of Gun laws.
      You can't do XYZ, but if you are a criminal you will still do XYZ cause well you are a criminal.
      So the only people we are punishing are law abiding citizens.
      No one is made safer by having a SBR law....
      Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
      George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X