Women's Self-Defense Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    I'm still waiting to see an instep stomp and heel palm KO in MMA.
    Im still waiting to see an mma fight which begins with the another opponent trying to rape you oh well nevermind

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post

RBSD Technique Innovation Process:

1. Examine potential attack you might encounter in The Street.

2. Briefly hypothesize counter-attack.

3. "Yeah, ok, that'll work. Let's teach it to the women's class at 6:30. "
      Where can I get one of those Doctor Who-esque training helmets?

Comment

Go feminist self defence!

So I searched a bit on google for the helmet and didn't find it, but I found insted this IMHO interesting article on women self defense:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...male-kickboxer

thet links on a book that sounds serious about women self defence:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Knocko.../dp/0814755771

in the comment section of the book on amazon I find this:

Her point is compelling: as she goes through all these different courses, she realizes that to some degree, the fear women feel that moves them TO self-defense classes is a social construct; women in these classes are more than capable of doing damage to an untrained assailant, and a culture that promotes passive methods of self defense (don't stay out late, and don't drink) over more active ones (get yourself to a self-defense class, and learn to hit and say 'NO" forcefully) inadvertently creates confidence in a male assailant's mind, and doubt in a potential female victim's.
        I think that it's true that women self defence is a psychological thing, so the simple training of punching the aggressor in the face (or poking the eyes) seems a good starting point.
        It's also true that some of these viseos are very poorly executed (the "grabbed from behind" one is particularly poor IMHO).

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMR View Post
          I think that it's true that women self defence is a psychological thing, so the simple training of punching the aggressor in the face (or poking the eyes) seems a good starting point.
          It's also true that some of these viseos are very poorly executed (the "grabbed from behind" one is particularly poor IMHO).
          What what? No, self defense is more than an attitude. Its more than just being aggressive.
          Its more than being aware, its more than all that tripe.
          Women start at a disadvantage even against an untrained male.
          They need to have technical competencies that let them get out of a bad situation and punching someone in the face needs to be backed up with real skill.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterMR View Post

Oh god, we've hit maximum stupid here. I don't know you would you mind giving me a bit more of your background to explain such a ignorant opinion? Or would you prefer the term "naive"?

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
              Flee by briskly walking away....but before hand do some finger and wrist lock stuffs

?

You know when you put people on the ground they just stay their and don't get back up at all or anything

Let me guess another 1/2 ass throw with no follow up.....
              I know one of these is the worst thing I've ever seen, but I'm not sure which one. It's a solid formula. Start with demonstrating your utter incompetence by gently caressing a heavy bag. Then show a crappy defense demo, leaving out the fact the actual second step in each sequence is "get punched in the face." Finish with the fake assailant collapsing to the ground for no obvious reason.

Originally posted by MisterMR
              "Her point is compelling: as she goes through all these different courses, she realizes that to some degree, the fear women feel that moves them TO self-defense classes is a social construct; women in these classes are more than capable of doing damage to an untrained assailant, and a culture that promotes passive methods of self defense (don't stay out late, and don't drink) over more active ones (get yourself to a self-defense class, and learn to hit and say 'NO" forcefully) inadvertently creates confidence in a male assailant's mind, and doubt in a potential female victim's."
              That's a pile. The average woman taking a self defense class is in a different physical world from even the average untrained man. Men grew up playing pickup games of football and roughhousing. Even that tiny bit of violence memory is a huge advantage over people who have simply never done these things. I'd agree that determined aggression would turn back an untrained and unmotivated man, I have no idea what percentage of assaults involve such people. Random rapists? Date rapists? Abusive partners? That has to be the bulk of the situations in which a woman would actually have to apply violence to make an escape, and I'd think at least half the time, a shoddy physical defense would only escalate the situation, which is backed up by the FBI's Crime Victimization Survey.

As for downplaying "passive defense," utter bullshit. The best way to defend yourself is to not be attacked. The best way to defend your home is good locks, lighting and an alarm, not room-clearing strategies. If a consequence of telling women that they probably can't fight effectively without extensive training is making them think they can't fight, good, because that's correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                I'd agree that determined aggression would turn back an untrained and unmotivated man, I have no idea what percentage of assaults involve such people.
                Exactly, it totally makes sense to defend yourself from a non aggressive non violent guy.

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
                  How long did it take people to figure out that a head outside single is a great way to meet Mr. Guillotine?

Comment

Originally posted by Mandem View Post
                    Where can I get one of those Doctor Who-esque training helmets?
                    Have your credit card handy?
                    http://www.likecool.com/Dalek_Electr...Toy--Gear.html

Comment

Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
                      I know one of these is the worst thing I've ever seen, but I'm not sure which one. It's a solid formula. Start with demonstrating your utter incompetence by gently caressing a heavy bag. Then show a crappy defense demo, leaving out the fact the actual second step in each sequence is "get punched in the face." Finish with the fake assailant collapsing to the ground for no obvious reason.

That's a pile. The average woman taking a self defense class is in a different physical world from even the average untrained man. Men grew up playing pickup games of football and roughhousing. Even that tiny bit of violence memory is a huge advantage over people who have simply never done these things. I'd agree that determined aggression would turn back an untrained and unmotivated man, I have no idea what percentage of assaults involve such people. Random rapists? Date rapists? Abusive partners? That has to be the bulk of the situations in which a woman would actually have to apply violence to make an escape, and I'd think at least half the time, a shoddy physical defense would only escalate the situation, which is backed up by the FBI's Crime Victimization Survey.

As for downplaying "passive defense," utter bullshit. The best way to defend yourself is to not be attacked. The best way to defend your home is good locks, lighting and an alarm, not room-clearing strategies. If a consequence of telling women that they probably can't fight effectively without extensive training is making them think they can't fight, good, because that's correct.
                      In some ways, a lot of these videos remind me of how many people teach Judo to kids...like they are adults. Which does not work out very well (by kids, I mean young kids, not teenagers who are more physically mature).

Similarly, teaching women to just punch a guy in the nose, is like teaching women to fight like men. I would think some things cross over, but one of them would NOT be standing toe to toe and duking it out like a John Wayne western fistfight.

Is there some sort of fetish subculture that involves attractive teenage women (or older) grappling/fighting with men?

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post

Zardoz pretty much called it in this situation. The gun is good, the penis is evil. The most effective means of "women's self defense" is a gun.

Comment

How long did it take people to figure out that a head outside single is a great way to meet Mr. Guillotine?
                          You know everybody says that but I don't agree. Head down single is a great way to meet Mr. Guillotine. Not only that but all my wrestlers keep telling me that head outside is actually a "High crotch" not a single leg. I keep telling them this is not Judo, I don't give a rats ass what you call it, keep your head up and ear tight.

Comment

Originally posted by Omega Supreme View Post
                            You know everybody says that but I don't agree. Head down single is a great way to meet Mr. Guillotine. Not only that but all my wrestlers keep telling me that head outside is actually a "High crotch" not a single leg. I keep telling them this is not Judo, I don't give a rats ass what you call it, keep your head up and ear tight.
                            Bending the neck is not often a good idea when trying to take someone down or throw them in any case.

I like your advice, it gets to the core of the matter. I recently did some antagonizing on facebook regarding judo terminology. Nothing gets judo guys going more than a good terminology/semantics debate...

Comment

Dunno, they still seem to be getting caught like that.
                              His dvd series is hilarious.
                              It's chock full of unorthodox grappling dick moves (no not that kind HM).
                              Good Gene Lebell cameo too.

Comment

double post

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X