Women's Self-Defense Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guird View Post
    I think sometimes people at bullshido forget just how clueless untrained people often are.
    No, I regularly teach beginners judo...

Comment

When I've sat down and really thought about what to teach women that they can really do without much training (outside of situational awareness stuff and screaming a lot), the only thing I've ever really had much faith in is...

Biting.

Bite off a lip, an ear, a nose, an eyelid, part of a cheek, a chunk of forearm or a finger. Guy licks you face or sticks something in your mouth, bite it. Bite down hard and don't stop until you hear/feel the crunch and you have a mouth full of blood and can feel meat sloshing around in there. A guy who just had his lip peeled off like an orange peel is going to let go long enough for you to get away. Run like hell. Scream at the top of your lungs. Run like hell.

All the other stuff short of a firearm is just a waste of time. Firearm training probably is, too...because they'll never find the gun in their purse with all the other shit in there.

Problem is, most women can't get past their squeamishness to do it. Every time I've covered the whole biting strategy with a group of women, they can't get past their hesitance to actually damage someone, even if it means dying in a ditch somewhere.

"Women's self-defense" is a doomed concept.

Maybe men should just stop acting like assholes...maybe the men who aren't assholes should start taking the assholes out into the woods somewhere and deal with them appropriately (death therapy always seems to work).

When I was taking judo classes in college, there was a female judoka in her 20s who used to come train with us. Her dad was a well-known coach, and she'd been training since she was 5 and was about as "elite" as female judoka were those days. Technically, she was awesome. Better than anyone in the club short of a couple of the instructors. But she was about 130 pounds, and when she and I or any of the bigger guys (I was six foot, 200 pounds, and in okay shape back then) worked with her she really struggled when the fight went to the ground...she just wasn't strong enough. I had no problem tossing her around if I wanted (though she did catch me with a collar choke one time and almost choked me out). If she didn't try to match strength I imagine she'd be able to handle most situations...but again, there you go...it's really hard to figure out a good solution for dealing with the male trump card.

Mass and upper body strength.

You know...there's probably a reason why for a hundred thousand years before "civilization" and during most of "civilization" it's been the man's job to protect the women...I mean, don't you think someone would have come up with something by now?

Maybe we'll come up with something technological...cyborg shit and implants that make women stronger and faster than men...maybe in the future, instead of getting your daughter breast implants or a car for her sweet sixteen, you get her adamantium implants and cybernetic body enhancements that make her a lethal killing machine...yeah...snikt! snikt! That's the ticket...

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
        No, I regularly teach beginners judo...
        https://youtu.be/gmx3zfe63ZQ

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
          You know, I love firing a good revolver. They also appeal to me as a history enthusiast and collector. As a sportsman, I love how the long heavy double action pull almost seems to demand discipline and clearheaded good aim from you on each shot. And, as you point out, they can have some very nice grips. A revolver has shibumi.

That being said, the cumbersome reload seems like such a tremendous handicap. Even with something with a single stack magazine like a 1911, with training you can reload in about 2 seconds. That revolver reload is a bear in comparison, and the weapon is out of action while you're reloading, unlike with a semi auto where even if the magazine is out you at least have the round in the chamber to fall back on. So, paradoxically, I feel like it would require more training than a semi-auto, since you would have to train reloads a lot more, and you would also have to be even more mindful of safety while you carry due to how revolvers generally lack manual safeties.

I wonder why women would gravitate towards revolvers? Would it be primarily about comfort with the grip? The idea that they wouldn't need to work on malfunction drills? The idea of simplicity of operation? Food for thought...thanks for sharing!
          I think you are thinking along the lines of a gunfight, not self defense (use of a handgun). 1911s, full size M92s, fast second reloads, etc etc.

It's analogous to teaching adult judo to kids, or how to win a fight vs. "self defense"(for women), e.g, teaching women to "fight" like men.

On revolvers: When it came time for my wife to get a handgun, she already had a fair amount of experience shooting firearms over the years with her first husband and family. She had tried to like semi-auto handguns, but, her primary problem was with, wait for it, pulling the slide back...

My wife is pretty darned strong, was a gymnast in college, was a contractor in her previous live who put up sheet rock and did taping and bedding and general construction in her previous life. So she is not weak, and neither is her grip. So when we went to look for a handgun for her, she tried semiautos of various sorts. Full size was out of the question, because:
          1.) WTF was she going to put it when carrying concealed in normal women's clothing? A 1911 won't even fit in the purse she normally carries, let alone another mag or two for the hypothetical situation she is going to have to shoot her way out of.
          2.) So we looked at compact and subcompact semi autos. She had difficulty pulling back the slide on them, and we tried all the common ones in 9mm and up...no, I was not going to get her a .380.
          3.) She indulged me in all of that, picked up an Ruger LCR .38 Spl., manipulated it, stuck it in her pants, and said, "I'm getting this one". It's light, has a very good DA only trigger, and the grip is just right for her hands.

She loves that thing, loves to shoot it, I handload practice ammo for her to keep her shooting. The only mod we made was to put a big Tritium front sight on it, which made it way easier to hit with night and day. Put the big white (or glowing green) dot center of mass and manipulate the trigger.

I love the thing too...but I carry a compact semiauto in 9mm, with an extra mag in case I have to get into that gunfight...

Comment

Originally posted by MTTKDGUY View Post
            Bite off a lip, an ear, a nose, an eyelid, part of a cheek, a chunk of forearm or a finger. Guy licks you face or sticks something in your mouth, bite it. Bite down hard and don't stop until you hear/feel the crunch and you have a mouth full of blood and can feel meat sloshing around in there. A guy who just had his lip peeled off like an orange peel is going to let go long enough for you to get away. Run like hell. Scream at the top of your lungs. Run like hell.
            Biting is a horrible, horrible idea.
            Sorry but its very unlikely to be a fight ender.
            Now you have escalated the situation to a WHOLE new level.
            Also you know blood born illnesses.
            There is a fairly high chance that attackers are going to have shit in their blood that you DO NOT WANT.

As far as guns, women can carry in other than their purse or they can have special carry purses that deal with some of those other issues.

As for Judo yeah a smaller woman is going to have trouble with a larger trained person. They are still likely to toss a person that isn't trained with in limits.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
              Biting is a horrible, horrible idea.
              Sorry but its very unlikely to be a fight ender.
              Now you have escalated the situation to a WHOLE new level.
              Also you know blood born illnesses.
              There is a fairly high chance that attackers are going to have shit in their blood that you DO NOT WANT.
              I get your point...but my point is that it's already at that level...by not doing something extreme, you're fucked. I'm not talking about getting slapped around. I'm talking about being in a situation where you're pretty sure you're going to die. And if I'm pretty sure I'm going to die, I'll roll the dice on blood-born pathogens in my mouth.

But then we're just back to the problem...on average, women have very few good options...

Comment

These boots are made for SELF DEFENSE!!!!!

You can just smell the Krav coming off this one ... I hope that's just Krav.

My youtube feed is so fucked now.

Interesting note: the two clips of surveillance footage both show the female victim getting clocked.
                Last edited by HarshMallow; 9/05/2016 8:35pm, . Reason: note bene

Comment

As far as guns, women can carry in other than their purse or they can have special carry purses that deal with some of those other issues.
                  Yeah...they can...but remember that the average gun toting mama is an idiot. All the women I know who pack iron have it buried in the bottom of their purse under their makeup, tampons, and the ten pounds of shit that makes purses into pretty good clubs in the right hands...

Comment

Originally posted by HarshMallow View Post
                    You can just smell the Krav coming off this one ... I hope that's just Krav.

My youtube feed is so fucked now.

Interesting note: the two clips of surveillance footage both show the female victim getting clocked.
                    I like the chick who's chewing gum during the training.

She fucking named it...this is such stupid crap. Does she have a web site yet? Is she selling seminars? Issuing trainers certs and rank?

*sigh*

Comment

But then we're just back to the problem...on average, women have very few good options...
                      Wrong again, most have this option

Easy to conceal on body, so not even in a purse. Easy to pull even if already mounted if you are carrying in the right location, hammerless not likely to get caught on clothes.
                      Its a great option.
                      Its a great option for men or women.

Comment

The cubed root of self defense = bullshit

Some of our nation's brightest young minds cannot tell the difference between practical self defense and Bullshido. Because they've never been presented with practical self defense.

Comment

On body carry for women,

Comment

Wrong again, most have this option
                            Easy to conceal on body, so not even in a purse. Easy to pull even if already mounted if you are carrying in the right location, hammerless not likely to get caught on clothes.
                            Its a great option.
                            Its a great option for men or women.
                            True...IF they take the time to learn to use it, which most don't, which is my personal issue with the whole gun thing...most people buy guns and never bother to train up on how to use them...I'm not saying this to just be contrary...I ask people all the time: "That's great...you bought a hand gun for self protection...awesome for you...so tell me...have you taken a course on how to use it?" I live in an absolutely gun crazy part of the country...EVERYONE is packing, it seems...and nine times out of ten, the answer is "Gun class? Why would I need a gun class?" The funny part is, around here the only time these things seem to get used is when some drunk idiot accidentally shoots and kills his girlfriend while cruising around shooting road signs, or accidentally discharges their firearm and puts a slug through their neighbors kitchen while he's having his morning coffee...

There is no...silver bullet...(pounds head on wall)

Comment

I like the chick who's chewing gum during the training.

She fucking named it...this is such stupid crap. Does she have a web site yet? Is she selling seminars? Issuing trainers certs and rank?

*sigh*
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIu...5kW4x2KzjoPg2Q
                              http://www.soteriamethod.com/

I imagine instructor certs may happen during the next Fashion Week.

It's not just for women either.

Comment

True...IF they take the time to learn to use it, which most don't, which is my personal issue with the whole gun thing...most people buy guns and never bother to train up on how to use them...I'm not saying this to just be contrary...I ask people all the time: "That's great...you bought a hand gun for self protection...awesome for you...so tell me...have you taken a course on how to use it?" I live in an absolutely gun crazy part of the country...EVERYONE is packing, it seems...and nine times out of ten, the answer is "Gun class? Why would I need a gun class?" The funny part is, around here the only time these things seem to get used is when some drunk idiot accidentally shoots and kills his girlfriend while cruising around shooting road signs, or accidentally discharges their firearm and puts a slug through their neighbors kitchen while he's having his morning coffee...

There is no...silver bullet...(pounds head on wall)
                                Sorry but if you are at the point of "biting" then you are still better off with a gun even if you have never even shot one fucking ever.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X