X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goodlun
    replied
    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Perhaps you can see if all future attackers would like to settle any disputes via trivia contests.
    psh that was totally my plan on how to deal with the Grimm Reaper.

Cause twister is not the best option.

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    Originally posted by goodlun View Post
    Well according to the BJJ Super Deals Quiz I am a Black belt. I will be taking my tag now thank you very much.
    Perhaps you can see if all future attackers would like to settle any disputes via trivia contests.

Leave a comment:

• goodlun
    replied
    Well according to the BJJ Super Deals Quiz I am a Black belt. I will be taking my tag now thank you very much.

Leave a comment:

• NeilG
    replied
    We do have some good competitors in our club, particularly one family. The dad won his masters division at nationals last year, and the two older sons are tearing a swath through provincial and inter-provincial competition in u13 and u15. They have a good future if they keep going and interested. They are training at more than just our club, though.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by NeilG View Post
    I'm with you. This club was a good fit for my son and I for various reasons, but he did compete as well.
    That's cool. I get that Judo comps are a bit too much for some folks, though. Especially the way some people do Judo, LoL!

Leave a comment:

• NeilG
    replied
    Originally posted by BKR View Post
    yeah, I know, you posted some video of yourself a few years ago.

I have to say, and this isn't directed at you, or your club specifically, I really object to healthy young people not competing in Judo and getting a shodan. Older guys and gals, not so much an issue for me. Nobody has to be a national level competitor to get to shodan or above, however, judo is incomplete without shiai, just as it is without kata.
    I'm with you. This club was a good fit for my son and I for various reasons, but he did compete as well.

Leave a comment:

• Raycetpfl
    replied
    Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    The only solution is to wear an ATA camo belt:
    Why did you post a picture of nothingness?

Leave a comment:

• Wounded Ronin
    replied
    My personal opinion is if you don't hold rank in a system you wear no rank indication unless invited to do so. You also let them know you have prior training. Your real relative level will show up on the floor.
    The only solution is to wear an ATA camo belt:

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Yup. However, unlike most of the people in my club I have done some competition, so I have a pretty fair idea of where I stand in that range.
    yeah, I know, you posted some video of yourself a few years ago.

I have to say, and this isn't directed at you, or your club specifically, I really object to healthy young people not competing in Judo and getting a shodan. Older guys and gals, not so much an issue for me. Nobody has to be a national level competitor to get to shodan or above, however, judo is incomplete without shiai, just as it is without kata.

Leave a comment:

• NeilG
    replied
    That's the key, shodan in Judo has a range of performance level. You don't have to be a certified ass-kicker/bad-ass to get shodan...
    Yup. However, unlike most of the people in my club I have done some competition, so I have a pretty fair idea of where I stand in that range.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by goodlun View Post
    For sure but I would think you are going to have to put in less time to get up to speed.
    One of the things I really respect about Travis is he explicitly said, he does Judo at Judo, and BJJ at BJJ.
    There is significant physical crossover, however, there is also a difference in approach, which I find stimulating. They are not mutually exclusive.

I do BJJ at BJJ for sure...

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Devil View Post
    Well,if you did it, Sir it must be correct.
    I am proud to be in your company on this one, Sir!

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    I don't understand the question. If you are implying that there is some sort of competition fighting to get a kyu rank, nope. All the tests are just technique or kata demonstrations, with a written exam for nikyu and ikkyu that's mostly terminology. To challenge shodan, you need 120 points of which at least 30 have to be "technical". You get 30 points a year for just breathing as ikkyu. So on the fast track you would need 90 technical points, which you get from either fighting, refereeing, or attending seminars. You get 5 points for fighting or refereeing at a tournament, and 10 points for everyone you beat at ikkyu or higher. So a good fighter could get those 90 points in 2 or 3 tournaments easy.

At no point do you have to beat some line-up of competitors like they do in some other NGBs. The shodan exam in my province is a kata demonstration, a demonstration of maybe 20 techniques picked at random for you, and a written exam. If they know you are an active competitor they won't ask you to fight, but if not then they will ask you to show some randori to get a sense of what your moving judo is like.

The 8 years is, as Ben pointed out, a restriction in my dojo and a fairly ridiculous one. OTOH our dojo is about 95% recreational players and frankly most of them aren't all that strong even after 8 years. I certainly don't regard myself as a strong shodan, although I believe I meet the standard.
    That's the key, shodan in Judo has a range of performance level. You don't have to be a certified ass-kicker/bad-ass to get shodan...

Leave a comment:

• Devil
    replied
    I agree, it's reasonable. I started doing that sort of stuff when I was 18 and had been in Judo for a few months.
    Well,if you did it, Sir it must be correct.

Leave a comment:

• NeilG
    replied
    Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    8 years to shodan? So do you fight all belt levels in Y'alls competition or just belt vs belt
    I don't understand the question. If you are implying that there is some sort of competition fighting to get a kyu rank, nope. All the tests are just technique or kata demonstrations, with a written exam for nikyu and ikkyu that's mostly terminology. To challenge shodan, you need 120 points of which at least 30 have to be "technical". You get 30 points a year for just breathing as ikkyu. So on the fast track you would need 90 technical points, which you get from either fighting, refereeing, or attending seminars. You get 5 points for fighting or refereeing at a tournament, and 10 points for everyone you beat at ikkyu or higher. So a good fighter could get those 90 points in 2 or 3 tournaments easy.

At no point do you have to beat some line-up of competitors like they do in some other NGBs. The shodan exam in my province is a kata demonstration, a demonstration of maybe 20 techniques picked at random for you, and a written exam. If they know you are an active competitor they won't ask you to fight, but if not then they will ask you to show some randori to get a sense of what your moving judo is like.

The 8 years is, as Ben pointed out, a restriction in my dojo and a fairly ridiculous one. OTOH our dojo is about 95% recreational players and frankly most of them aren't all that strong even after 8 years. I certainly don't regard myself as a strong shodan, although I believe I meet the standard.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X