More silly Black Belt Politics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
    God damn it! I was even looking at the word Coaching when I typed that.
    Lets run with for a second, can you defend yourself when you laze about?
    I think everyone goes through a phase where they won't lay on the couch in a way that would allow their arm to be easily armlocked.

And I don't seem to get out of bed in the morning without resorting to a Jiu-Jitsu like body movement.

I'm middle aged, don't deny myself junk food in moderation, drink whiskey frequently, and grapple a couple times a week like a tricky pathetic old fart who doesn't take his performance very seriously.

And, I'm usually armed, except for about 2 or 3 minutes on my birthday and anniversary.

You decide.

Comment

You just need to learn how to lay comfortably on the couch with your elbows tucked in, chin down, and feet tucked into the cushions in a manner where it hides the heel hook.

Comment

Originally posted by Devil View Post
        Semi-random side note. I enjoy AnnMaria De Mars' blog sometimes.

She says if you're not training twice a day by the time you're 17, you aren't serious about being a champion in your sport. I would tend to agree with that.
        Well, at 17 a kid is still in high school, usually.

I'm trying to remember the guidelines from my coach training for elite competition track u18/u21 judoka...

But why try to remember when it's online in convenient PDF format...
        But to get to the point without all that pesky reading:

Training to Win Females 18+/-, Males 19 +/-
        General Objectives

High performance

Refine and maintain all judo
        skills

Maintain or improve all physical capacities

Ongoing
        development
        of technical and tactical
        skill

Maximize
        ancillary capacities

Sport-specific technical, tactical and fitness
        training 9-15 times per week
        Judo-Specific

http://www.judocanada.org/system/wp-...ain-to-win.pdf

Guidelines for u18 and 20 athletes
        Framework

40% general training (includes basic
        strength
        training
        skills
        , mental training
        skills
        nutrition, warm-up, cool-down)

60% competition and competition-specific training;
        minimum 120 hours (180 hours
        for U20) of
        randori
        per year

Minimum 10 hours/week judo-specific 60%
        tachi-waza
        , 40%
        ne-waza

Judo specific 5-6 times/week (3-5 times
        randori
        , 2-4 times technical)

60 -120 minutes/practice; 45 weeks per year (48 we
        eks for U20); off-season should
        not be more than 3 weeks at a time and 2 shorter br
        eaks of 2 weeks each or 4
        breaks of 1 week each

Randori
        training 80%+
        MHR

8 tournaments per year (minimum 10 per year for U2
        0), minimum of 4 bouts each,
        full
        IJF
        rules

Double
        periodization

Individualized training plan -
        strength
        training, energy system
        development
        , cross-
        training to develop weak areas

Exposure to National and International competition

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
          Well, at 17 a kid is still in high school, usually.

I'm trying to remember the guidelines from my coach training for elite competition track u18/u21 judoka...

But why try to remember when it's online in convenient PDF format...
          But to get to the point without all that pesky reading:

Training to Win Females 18+/-, Males 19 +/-
          General Objectives

High performance

Refine and maintain all judo
          skills

Maintain or improve all physical capacities

Ongoing
          development
          of technical and tactical
          skill

Maximize
          ancillary capacities

Sport-specific technical, tactical and fitness
          training 9-15 times per week
          Judo-Specific

http://www.judocanada.org/system/wp-...ain-to-win.pdf

Guidelines for u18 and 20 athletes
          Framework

40% general training (includes basic
          strength
          training
          skills
          , mental training
          skills
          nutrition, warm-up, cool-down)

60% competition and competition-specific training;
          minimum 120 hours (180 hours
          for U20) of
          randori
          per year

Minimum 10 hours/week judo-specific 60%
          tachi-waza
          , 40%
          ne-waza

Judo specific 5-6 times/week (3-5 times
          randori
          , 2-4 times technical)

60 -120 minutes/practice; 45 weeks per year (48 we
          eks for U20); off-season should
          not be more than 3 weeks at a time and 2 shorter br
          eaks of 2 weeks each or 4
          breaks of 1 week each

Randori
          training 80%+
          MHR

8 tournaments per year (minimum 10 per year for U2
          0), minimum of 4 bouts each,
          full
          IJF
          rules

Double
          periodization

Individualized training plan -
          strength
          training, energy system
          development
          , cross-
          training to develop weak areas

Exposure to National and International competition

She includes strength and conditioning in her statement about training twice a day.

Get up, run or lift, go to school, then train. That's reasonable for a 17 year old who's serious about their sport.

Comment

LMAO now that Travis Stevens won Silver in the Olympics its all over the BJJ groups that he got his black belt in 18 months.
            People are seriously questioning the legitimacy of that promotion despite the fact that this Jimmy Pedro Black belt that Danaher brought in as a Brown belt and trained then promoted to black.
            NOW that is silly belt politics to question one of the most legitmate coaches out there.

Comment

LMAO now that Travis Stevens won Silver in the Olympics its all over the BJJ groups that he got his black belt in 18 months.
              People are seriously questioning the legitimacy of that promotion despite the fact that this Jimmy Pedro Black belt that Danaher brought in as a Brown belt and trained then promoted to black.
              NOW that is silly belt politics to question one of the most legitmate coaches out there.
              People are dumb.

Comment

She includes strength and conditioning in her statement about training twice a day.

Get up, run or lift, go to school, then train. That's reasonable for a 17 year old who's serious about their sport.
                I agree, it's reasonable. I started doing that sort of stuff when I was 18 and had been in Judo for a few months.

Comment

NOW that is silly belt politics to question one of the most legitimate coaches out there.
                  That's funny alright.

But begs the question, what exactly does it mean to be a BJJ black belt? It's not really standardized as it is in Judo. And I'm talking technical standards, time in grade, and the various point schemes that NGBs use for promotion.

You simply can't go to black belt in 18 months in Judo following the normal guidelines and rules, not in USA (or Canada, Neil can correct me if wrong).

But Travis was no weakling on the ground when he started, and of course knew way more than enough about "takedowns"...

**edit***
                  So Travis competed in various BJJ events. Not sure how he did, but IF he competed in brown/black divisions, won more than he lost and did well... how does that figure in the equation ?

Comment

People are dumb.
                    No shit, Sherlock...

Comment

Judo Canada standard is at least 3 years training for shodan. Point accumulation doesn't start until ikkyu, but a strong competitive player could easily get enough points in a year. So 2 years to ikkyu, then 1 more in the bare minimum scenario. Doesn't happen in my club because we have a bunch of time to grade standards for the various kyu, 8 years min to shodan. I believe that's just my club though, not Judo Sask.

Comment

That's funny alright.

But begs the question, what exactly does it mean to be a BJJ black belt? It's not really standardized as it is in Judo. And I'm talking technical standards, time in grade, and the various point schemes that NGBs use for promotion.

You simply can't go to black belt in 18 months in Judo following the normal guidelines and rules, not in USA (or Canada, Neil can correct me if wrong).

But Travis was no weakling on the ground when he started, and of course knew way more than enough about "takedowns"...

**edit***
                        So Travis competed in various BJJ events. Not sure how he did, but IF he competed in brown/black divisions, won more than he lost and did well... how does that figure in the equation ?
                        He didn't get embarrassed by a Miayo Brother = Travis is an elite bjj black belt.

Ibjjf makes you have time in grade but who gives a fuck. Travis does very well at bjj. He even pulls guard in bjj competition.
                        It's a bunch of blue and white belts getting lippy on Facebook I am sure. They are morons.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilG View Post
                          Judo Canada standard is at least 3 years training for shodan. Point accumulation doesn't start until ikkyu, but a strong competitive player could easily get enough points in a year. So 2 years to ikkyu, then 1 more in the bare minimum scenario. Doesn't happen in my club because we have a bunch of time to grade standards for the various kyu, 8 years min to shodan. I believe that's just my club though, not Judo Sask.
                          If I recall correctly, you don't do much standing randori in your club, either.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilG View Post
                            8 years to shodan? So do you fight all belt levels in Y'alls competition or just belt vs belt

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                              He didn't get embarrassed by a Miayo Brother = Travis is an elite bjj black belt.

Ibjjf makes you have time in grade but who gives a fuck. Travis does very well at bjj. He even pulls guard in bjj competition.
                              It's a bunch of blue and white belts getting lippy on Facebook I am sure. They are morons.
                              I don't doubt that he is, the guy who promoted him isn't exactly a "lippy blue belt".

Comment

But begs the question, what exactly does it mean to be a BJJ black belt?
                                Boy if that isn't the million dollar question for this thread and many like it.

It's not really standardized as it is in Judo. And I'm talking technical standards, time in grade, and the various point schemes that NGBs use for promotion.
                                Its not standardized like you said but there does seem to be a standard mostly. That standard is often times expressed in competition especially when we are talking about the guys that get there in that whole 4 years or less.

In some ways this is a failing, imagine that someone with a black belt in shingitai jujitsu and BJJ wanted to compete in Judo.
                                Though that might be a silly think cause I am sure Shinigitai guys get ranked in Judo as well.
                                Take a SAMBO / BJJ guy goes to compete in Judo. With no official Judo rank.

For sure and Travis also put in a lot of time on the mats during those 18 months. His training schedule has been posted its insane.
                                Danaher though is also known pretty well for his takedowns.
                                In fact Travis states he isn't that much better in teaching takedowns vs Danaher.

**edit***
                                From what I understand he did quiet well. He was already on par with a lot of BJJ black belts from working with Jimmy Pedro. Obviously as you know the two games are different enough but being an Olympic level athlete with a grappling back ground learning BJJ when you are training x6 times a week isn't going to take too long to come up to speed on those differences.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X