No announcement yet.

Name some self-defense instructors who are better than Marc "Animal" Macyoung

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name some self-defense instructors who are better than Marc "Animal" Macyoung

I've done some lurking around here,and from what I can tell,it seems the "Animal" has a mixed reputation here(well,more people here don't like him than those who do like him) and I can definitely understand why. while I agree with a lot of things he says,there are also many things he says that I find questionable. Take his article/critique of grappling for instance. I agree with his core message(i.e Going to the ground in an unknown area,especially without your friends,is very risky.)but the way he presents his arguments...isn't so great(to put it mildly)

Given all this,Macyoung isn't exactly a perfect self-defense instructor. maybe there is someone better than him. You guys know any? (all I know is Peyton Quinn,but im not sure I'd call him better than Macyoung)

Any competent middleschool wrestling coach.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 7/31/2016 7:56am, .

Comment

Anybody who is more interested in self-defense than self-promotion.

Comment

Rayce Neidzwiecki and Ryan Diechert, Phil and Rick Migliarese, Tandam McCory ,Any Team Balance school, Atos Jiu-Jitsu, Relson Gracie, Renzo Gracie, pretty much any Gracie Barra, Royce Gracie, Rickson Gracie, Ribierio Brothers, Dean Lister, Dan Henderson and team quest, Roger Gracie, Robert Drysdale, Maia,Mir-Mir is also a gun and knife nut.

There maybe be better ones but I tried to list them in order of handsomeness , fighting ability ,ability to repair electrical and communication lines and Humor.

Comment

Haha! Looking at your style,are you by any chance a Gracie Academy/Gracie Combatives supporter? I plan to go to a Gracie Academy that offers Gracie Combatives near my area in the future. Despite my remark above,I have a very high interest in learning Gracie jiu-jitsu. (hey,its not like I hang out in dark alleys or biker bars. I'm more likely to get into a fight with people I personally know. Gracie jiu-jitsu is excellent to know for this)

Comment

Originally posted by Yosuke View Post
            Haha! Looking at your style,are you by any chance a Gracie Academy/Gracie Combatives supporter? I plan to go to a Gracie Academy that offers Gracie Combatives near my area in the future. Despite my remark above,I have a very high interest in learning Gracie jiu-jitsu. (hey,its not like I hang out in dark alleys or biker bars. I'm more likely to get into a fight with people I personally know. Gracie jiu-jitsu is excellent to know for this)
            I am a Jiu-Jitsu advocate. I am not an advocate of online schooling or low ranked teachers being the primary teacher of jiu jitsu. Too much of Jiu-Jitsu and grappling in general is invisible.

Comment

What Rayce said plus:

Just about anyone on this list

http://dogbrothers.com/affiliates/

https://www.johnsaylorsja.com/JohnSa...structors.html

http://hayastanmmaacademy.perfectmin...ur-instructors

Quite a few people on this list

http://erikpaulson.com/affiliates-list/

Its really not hard, learn a combat sport, then think about how to adapt it to your needs

Comment

any parkour teacher worth s damn
                running away is the best

Comment

and no im not trolling
                  running away done successfully is better than fighting
                  less physivally dangerous, much less legally dangerous

if nothing else, parkour will get you in top shape
                  you will outlast most 30 second fighters

do you want to defend yourself or promote masculine delusions of badass?
                  be clear on what you want

this point has been made here lots
                  probably an faq is an idea

Comment

Originally posted by AprilRains View Post
                    running away is the best
                    Running away is often times the best option, but its not always an option.
                    Combat sports will get you into the cardio shape needed to put some distance between you and an attacker.
                    It will also help teach you how to defend yourself or others in a situation in which you can't.
                    Of course nothing is fool proof.

Jocko Willink has a real point here.

Comment

running away is the best
                      Seriously speaking though,I don't think you really need to train yourself to run away. Almost anyone knows how. Like goodlun says,Full-contact training can get you in the shape you need to be in to run away successfully.

BTW I also agree that running is not always an option. and no,I'm not just talking about life or death situations. but situations where if you don't stand up for yourself,you will be harassed regularly,maybe even for years. Like dealing with school bullies for example. If there's anything the Gracies have really done well,its their gracie bullyproof program. (although if you ask me,students should still be taught striking. just in case going to the ground isn't safe for some reason.)

Comment

as cardio workouts go combat sports are only okay
                        parkour is quite good

running away is not alwayz a viable option
                        neither is fighting
                        id get in sgape, then learn parkour, then learn to fight

but all of yhat is nitpicking
                        go do something to get in shape, and something to run away or fight
                        its not what others tell you to do
                        its what fits your goals and what you will keep doing

gym twice a eek is better than telling yourself ill go learn whatever from the perfect teacher
                        next week honest to god
                        and then grab a beer and watch the telly

Comment

Originally posted by Yosuke View Post
                          Full-contact training can get you in the shape you need to be in to run away successfully.
                          No, the exact opposite is true. Running can get you in shape so that you don't gas-out in the first three minute round of full-contact. You can have the best jab, the snazziest roundhouse and even pretty spin kicks, but if you throw enough of them without having the necessary cardio and lung function, you will run out of steam pretty quick (experience here lol).

Comment

as cardio workouts go combat sports are only okay
                            parkour is quite good
                            Cardio seems to be most efficient for what it is you are doing.
                            Example
                            I have seen marathon runners gas out in BJJ
                            Obviously most BJJ players are not going to go out and run a marathon.
                            Overall though a combat sports will greatly improve your anaerobic fitness.

running away is not alwayz a viable option
                            neither is fighting
                            Of course not, rarely ever is anything going to be 100% viable 100% of the time.

id get in sgape, then learn parkour, then learn to fight
                            As per the video of laws permit, I would certainly look into fire arms training if I was serious about self defense(I am not)
                            Fighting will get you into shape, then learn parkour if it floats your boat.

but all of yhat is nitpicking
                            go do something to get in shape, and something to run away or fight
                            100% on the getting into shape thing, the being out of shape is more likely to kill you than a mugger anyways.

gym twice a eek is better than telling yourself ill go learn whatever from the perfect teacher
                            next week honest to god
                            and then grab a beer and watch the telly
                            I agree, but I will say this, having a hobby that gets you into shape is good way to go about getting into shape.
                            Going to the gym can be a test of willpower more so than going and playing basketball with your bros.
                            Find some physical activity that is not a chore, something you enjoy doing, then you will go and do it way more often.
                            It wont matter if you had a bad day at work, and the what not.

Comment

Would swimming be a viable alternative to running? I weigh 290 lbs. I hear some heavyweight boxers use swimming as an alternative to roadwork (klitchiko?)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X