Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A 27-year-old jiu-jitsu practitioner from New Zealand was kidnapped and robbed by pol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 27-year-old jiu-jitsu practitioner from New Zealand was kidnapped and robbed by pol

http://www.flograppling.com/article/...azilian-police

I had to read the title three or four times myself.

Originally posted by article
    The two motorbike cops, who were both armed, told Lee that he had broken local traffic laws by driving a rental car while not in possession of his passport.

Kidnapped and Robbed By Rio de Janeiro Military Police
    The two military police officers forced him to drive the wrong way down a highway before transferring him into an unmarked, non-police vehicle.

Lee was then taken by the cops to multiple ATMs and forced to withdraw money totaling 2000 Brazilian Reais (US $614).
    So like yeah ... fucking weird.

Go Brazil?
    BJJ doesn't work in the Streetz of Brazil?

I am not sure what the punch line is or should be but I do think this information should be shared and awareness made.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Well that's a hopeful sign for the Olympics.

Comment

Well I mean it isn't like the Police didn't try and warn us in advance with their "Welcome to Hell" banner at the airport a little while ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ty-budgets-cut
      “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
      BILL HICKS,
      1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
      ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Who do they think they are, Mexican cops?
        "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Originally posted by strikistanian
        DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
        Originally posted by Devil
        Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
        Originally posted by Plasma
        At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
        Originally posted by SoulMechanic
        Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Comment

The punchline is the same as it's always been: When in a foreign country that isn't Western European, the police are literally state sanctioned criminals more often than not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rand View Post
            The punchline is the same as it's always been: When in a foreign country that isn't Western European, the police are literally state sanctioned criminals more often than not.
            https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ther-countries

Comment

If you want your posts read and discussion to spring forth from your insight it might help to drop a quote or two from the article along with the link.

Like this

Originally posted by article you posted
              By the numbers: US police kill more in days than other countries do in years

The Guardian has built the most comprehensive database of US police killing ever published. Compare our findings to those from the UK, Australia, Iceland and beyond

Fact: There has been just one fatal shooting by Icelandic police in the country’s 71-year history. The city of Stockton, California – with 25,000 fewer residents than all of Iceland combined – had three fatal encounters in the first five months of 2015.

Behind the numbers: A 2013 police shooting in Iceland drew international attention because it was the first of its kind; there had literally never been a fatal police shooting recorded there before two years ago.

In Stockton, Patrick Wetter, Matautu Nuu and Carl Lao were all fatally shot by police in the 64-day span between 6 January and 4 March. According to US census data from 2013, Stockton has a population of 298,118; World Bank data puts Iceland’s population at 323,764 for the same year.

Iceland’s official intentional homicide rate is so low that it does not register in World Bank data on intentional homicides per 100,000 people. For the US, the rate is five per 100,000.
              See like that. That way people can attempt to understand your position.

Speaking of which, what is your opinion on the article and what exactly were you pointing out?
              BILL HICKS,
              1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Oklahoma from the 2016 list of 17 total. Yes, I cherry picked. Why? Not death by firearm. And yes, I realize the stats are for death by LEO total.

Killed by pit maneuver during car chase-

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/n...larmon-2016426

Died from heart attack after being tazed while fleeing-

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/n...-bales-2016590

Died after pepper spray / choke hold while trying to escape jail-

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/n...binson-2016433

We've dropped to #5 from #4 for 2015. It's early yet, so there's still hope.

I'm being facetious. Still, the VAST majority were justified.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/n...ut-the-counted

Why is this necessary?

The US government has no comprehensive record of the number of people killed by law enforcement. This lack of basic data has been glaring amid the protests, riots and worldwide debate set in motion by the fatal police shooting of Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old, in Ferguson, Missouri, in August 2014.

Before stepping down as US attorney general in April 2015, Eric Holder described the prevailing situation on data collection as “unacceptable”.

The Guardian agrees with those analysts, campaign groups, activists and authorities who argue that such accounting is a prerequisite for an informed public discussion about the use of force by police.
                Come on Enda. Put a little more effort into your work.
                Last edited by hungryjoe; 7/27/2016 6:43am, .
                Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

Originally posted by hungryjoe View Post
                  Yes, I cherry picked. Why? Not death by firearm.
                  So dead people by other causes than being shot are less dead or what?

Comment

Originally posted by DCS View Post
                    So dead people by other causes than being shot are less dead or what?
                    My reaction to reading the comments from the linked article posted by Enda.
                    Carter Hargrave's Jeet Can't Do

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636

Comment

So we are going to compare police shootings in the US to those in countries where standard police aren't issued firearms? Yeah that makes sense. Take the recent attack in Nice, France which left 84 dead. If the police had firearms he would have been shot and killed, and less civilians would have died. Instead the police were left with chasing the truck and beating on it with their batons.

Canada to California is probably the best direct correlation there. However even that compares 1 year(2015) of California, with an average sample of Canada. The problems here are we don't know if 2015 was a bad year for California or if that is normal. We don't know how California stacks up with other states of similar population. Likewise the article admits that there aren't solid numbers for Canada and that is just what one Journalist thinks, more than that the article linked for the Canadian stats seems to think that Alberta and Ontario aren't part of Canada...

In short I'm sure its nice click bait, and certain elements in England do love trashing the US(see the comments for examples), however its pretty shoddy work at correlation.
                      Don't rely on theory if your life is at stake.

"But now that you've anointed him as truthsayer, you'll be complicit with what happens when the next Jew comes here and is lambasted by an ultrasecular Rabbi" -W.Rabbit/Pship/Emily Dickinson/Earth Dragon/Self Proclaimed Editor Extraordinaire

Comment

Can you get the article which shows what exactly happened? The France cops were armed so, I have no idea what you are talking about with your particular example. Why would you think they aren't issued firearms?
                        https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lle-day-claims

It was going at 90km/h without lights … It dodged the municipal police barrier. The team couldn’t stop it. You can’t burst the tyres of a 19-tonner with a revolver. Then other municipal police in plainclothes in the crowd were confronted with it,” she said.
                        They did have firearms according to this article. They make the same American argument about needing higher powered weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake View Post
                          Can you get the article which shows what exactly happened? The France cops were armed so, I have no idea what you are talking about with your particular example. Why would you think they aren't issued firearms?
                          https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...lle-day-claims

They did have firearms according to this article. They make the same American argument about needing higher powered weapons.
                          What?? You mean the bullet holes in the truck and terrorist didn't magically appear out of thin air?
                          Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
                          –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Considering those mainly came at the end, I want to see the article he was pulling his "if they were armed" comment from.

There was a video, IIRC, showing some cops trying to break into the cab. IMO, they wanted him alive for interrogation purposes. He reached for something and they lit him up. I would love to see that out of context article.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                              So we are going to compare police shootings in the US to those in countries where standard police aren't issued firearms? Yeah that makes sense. Take the recent attack in Nice, France which left 84 dead. If the police had firearms he would have been shot and killed, and less civilians would have died. Instead the police were left with chasing the truck and beating on it with their batons.
                              Dumbass.

Originally posted by Michael Tzadok View Post
                              Canada to California is probably the best direct correlation there. However even that compares 1 year(2015) of California, with an average sample of Canada. The problems here are we don't know if 2015 was a bad year for California or if that is normal. We don't know how California stacks up with other states of similar population. Likewise the article admits that there aren't solid numbers for Canada and that is just what one Journalist thinks, more than that the article linked for the Canadian stats seems to think that Alberta and Ontario aren't part of Canada...
                              Although, at least you admit that statistics can be used to tell lies.
                              Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X