Protective gear for preventing rib injuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protective gear for preventing rib injuries

Hi, can anyone recommend padded tops or something similar for preventing rib injuries? I've had 4 cartilage injuries in 6 months, 2 from impact and 2 from compression. I figure a padded/protective top could have helped prevent the impact injuries.

I've seen a doctor and am completely healed now, but want some additional protection for when I go back.

Anyone tried anything in this area?

Thanks, love to all. Rich

There are many options available in sparring gear:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mma+...e=off&tbm=shop

(edit) I have one like this, from when I was regularly doing AKB/MT:
    http://www.revgear.com/product/pro-s...-rib-ab-guard/
    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Thanks. Would the style of guard you used be suitable for bjj?
      All the best,
      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
        There are many options available in sparring gear:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mma+...e=off&tbm=shop

(edit) I have one like this, from when I was regularly doing AKB/MT:
        http://www.revgear.com/product/pro-s...-rib-ab-guard/
        i have the ringside one from those results and it's pretty much useless. one would expect more from ringside, this was one of the few things i got from them that wasn't good.
        "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
        "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
        "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
        "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Originally posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
          i have the ringside one from those results and it's pretty much useless. one would expect more from ringside, this was one of the few things i got from them that wasn't good.
          The Revgear one that I have is decent, but I think real safety comes not just from the chest armor, but also from the shin and foot pads that are worn by the opponent. Those effectively double the amount of padding from a human baseball bat hitting your chest at something close to full force.
          Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by Richm07 View Post
            Thanks. Would the style of guard you used be suitable for bjj?
            All the best,
            Rich
            Does your BJJ include striking? If not, I don't think there's anything sufficient to protect, save for core strengthening exercises.

Otherwise, I would suggest the girdle-style one, like my revgear link, above. Anything more than that is going to tend to restrict your arms.

Comment

Thanks again. No, no striking, but two of the injuries have been caused by accidental knee bashes from side control, so I think that your suggestion could be worth a shot.

Comment

Thanks again. No, no striking, but two of the injuries have been caused by accidental knee bashes from side control, so I think that your suggestion could be worth a shot.
                I mean no offense but I have to ask, are you "healthy" or is there something going on with you medically that causes you to be injury prone?
                Either that or the people at your school have 0 concept on how to roll.
                Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
                –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

I am intimately familiar with this injury. You will grow out of it/train out of it, no need for protective gear. It's common for BJJ noobs, your best bet is to concentrate on not letting your opponent get your back flat to the mat.

Comment

It's been covered but yeah I agree, it is just conditioning and exposure for the most part. Roll more often with less intensity, at first. Just get doing it without getting flinchy and worried about injury. Learn how not to be in that spot. Tell your partners and I bet most will be happy to tone it down once you explain the situation. Do some extra exercises that build your core. Have someone teach you how to use the medicine balls by yourself and with a partner.

In other words, as some number of great mind have said "eat a spoon full of concrete and harden the fuck up".
                    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
                    BILL HICKS,
                    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Is there an underlying problem? There could well be. The doctors are reluctant to put me through a CT scan because if they do find an underlying issue, there's no remedy. So the advice is be careful or quit.

I got into bjj for self defence/fitness and would like to train for as long as possible. I thought that some sort of protective gear might buy me some extra time but I fully understand that I just need to get more technically proficient too.

Thanks, all the best
                      Rich

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. Is there an underlying problem? There could well be. The doctors are reluctant to put me through a CT scan because if they do find an underlying issue, there's no remedy. So the advice is be careful or quit.

I got into bjj for self defence/fitness and would like to train for as long as possible. I thought that some sort of protective gear might buy me some extra time but I fully understand that I just need to get more technically proficient too.

Thanks, all the best
                        Rich
                        Disclaimer: I'm not your doctor. I don't believe there's an underlying condition, though. As I said, this is a common BJJ beginner injury. Be like seafood: shrimp, shrimp, and more shrimp.

Comment

Are you a spaz?

Comment

Originally posted by ChenPengFi View Post
                            Are you a spaz?
                            If he is, he's probably not going to be able to recognize that for a few years. It took me a while to see it in myself, and I was well aware of the term and the behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                              If he is, he's probably not going to be able to recognize that for a few years. It took me a while to see it in myself, and I was well aware of the term and the behavior.

That's why I'm asking.
                              Sure sounds like it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X