NHK special on Maasaki Hatsumi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NHK special on Maasaki Hatsumi

So on Facebook I saw a post about a NHK special they're apparently running this weekend on Maasaki Hatsumi: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/sp...201607/02.html

As an 84 year old man with dyed purple hair, he has finally transitioned to being a full-on living anime character.
    Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Love how there isn't 1 Japanese student in that picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
      So on Facebook I saw a post about a NHK special they're apparently running this weekend on Maasaki Hatsumi: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/sp...201607/02.html

As an 84 year old man with dyed purple hair, he has finally transitioned to being a full-on living anime character.
      I only watch anime if there are super hero chick's with huge boobs, so I will probably skip this mockumentary.
      I just can't imagine blindly following a martial art with no fighters that have winning records. I guess I am blessed I was 11 when Royce wrecked bitches in UFC 1.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma View Post
        Love how there isn't 1 Japanese student in that picture.

Take it back plasma! He is held in extremely high regard in Japan!!!
        Last edited by Raycetpfl; 7/02/2016 9:37am, .

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
          I only watch anime if there are super hero chick's with huge boobs, so I will probably skip this mockumentary.
          I just can't imagine blindly following a martial art with no fighters that have winning records. I guess I am blessed I was 11 when Royce wrecked bitches in UFC 1.
          I think I read somewhere that Hatsumi has an advanced degree in psychology. He probably knew what he was doing all along; selling ninja fantasy to those who wanted it.
          Lone Wolf McQuade Final Fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmrDe_mYUXg

Comment

On that note I think I read somewhere that he is ranked in Shito Ryu karate and used to compete in judo as well...

Which just bolsters the point about knowing what he's doing by selling ninja fantasy.

Hell, I grew up in the 80s, if there had been a ninja school near me I'd have been all over that shit.

I'd like to think I'd have grown out of it though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
              I think I read somewhere that Hatsumi has an advanced degree in psychology. He probably knew what he was doing all along; selling ninja fantasy to those who wanted it.
              I agree with that. If he was delusional he would have challenged another prominent martial arts fighter at some point. He's a fraud and he knows it. Same as Stephen Hayes, they are selling ninja larping not hand to hand combat.

Comment

Originally posted by BJMills View Post
                On that note I think I read somewhere that he is ranked in Shito Ryu karate and used to compete in judo as well...

Which just bolsters the point about knowing what he's doing by selling ninja fantasy.

Hell, I grew up in the 80s, if there had been a ninja school near me I'd have been all over that shit.

I'd like to think I'd have grown out of it though.
                Considering his age, he may well have done judo in high school. That's essentially not a big deal judo - wise.

I do believe he was a bonesetter...
                Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Even competing in high school- especially competing in high school- one would imagine coming out of that and, upon seeing what Takamatsu was teaching, think 'yeah, that wrist lock isn't gonna do what the old man thinks it's gonna do.' But in Japanese and with a lot more gravitas.

It's hard to go backwards unless you're really trying to fool yourself, or really trying to fool other people.

Comment

I don't think Hatsumi is delusional. He was running 1 small academy in the 1970s/1980s. Once he saw how much money Hayes was making after spending 1 week at this academy he wanted in on it. Then after that Tanemura wanted in and split. It's simply about making money.

Comment

Originally posted by plasma View Post
                      I don't think Hatsumi is delusional. He was running 1 small academy in the 1970s/1980s. Once he saw how much money Hayes was making after spending 1 week at this academy he wanted in on it. Then after that Tanemura wanted in and split. It's simply about making money.
                      Absolutely agree with you.
                      Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

Separating fools from their money is real ninja skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post
                          Go watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. It doesn't have a lot of titty, but I can promise you will be entertained.

Comment

Originally posted by NHKWorld
                            He bolstered his reputation during his journey abroad, with fierce fighters and soldiers being no match for him.
                            HURM.
                            Train hard, fight easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Cake of Doom View Post
                              HURM.
                              I'd like a little follow up clarification of that particular gem...

Or is that quote referring to Takamatsu? Not that I think it would be any less suspect, but it's far enough in the past that it's nearly impossible to fact check. Which seems to be the ninjer MO.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X