Required Patches to Train BJJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Required Patches to Train BJJ?

This is my first forum post on any forum period but I had nowhere else to turn, to have my questions answered. My questions are, how normal is it for a BJJ academy to require its students to wear an academy patch on all gi tops in order to just train and should I be offended by it if I've already spent a good amount of money on memberships/academy uniforms?

Backstory, I started BJJ two months ago under a well-known black belt, and when I signed up, I was required to purchase one of the academy's uniforms along with my first month of membership. Even though the gi was pricey ($140) I just figured this was standard practice. My academy isn't a Gracie Barre academy, so there were plenty of guys wearing colorful gis decked out like Nascars with patches. I finally got tired of washing my lone gi 3x a week, so I purchased a basic, affordable, patchless, white Fuji gi. I also travel a lot so I wanted a plain white gi so I could do some drop in sessions at other schools when I travel.

So last week when I was wearing my patchless Fuji top, a blue belt approached me and told me to be careful wearing a uniform with no patches, because students have been asked to leave training sessions because their gi was not displaying an academy patch. I happened to be wearing my the pants to my patched up academy uniform displaying the academy's logo and even wearing a rashguard with the academies logo in the middle of it, so I thought I was in the clear. Well at the end of class he makes an announcement that all students are required to wear a patch on their gi tops at all times in order to train. Quickly I scanned over everyone else and realized he had to have been talking to me because I was the only one who didn't have a patch on my gi top.

I didn't think it was a big deal I'll just buy a patch, can't be that expensive right? Well, I end up haveing to spend $20 on a flimsy piece of cloth that I could easily tear in half and had to pay a tailor to have it sewn on. All in order so I won't get kicked out of a training session at a place I'm spending a significant amount of money on a month for a limited amount of training sessions a week.

Bullshido?
    Last edited by PistolPeteBJJ; 6/30/2016 8:23am, .

as a judo guy i think it's BS, but there are a bunch of legit BJJ places that insist on that sort of stuff.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a fuck what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Comment

Not sure MABS is the right forum for this if the school is otherwise legit. BJJ schools are a business enterprise and generally charge stupid high fees IMO. If you like the training, pay up.

As a judo guy, I think patches in general are goofy.

Comment

I think that's a bunch of bullshit, but what are you going to do? It looks like your choice is to abide by their dumbass patch rule or go elsewhere. It doesn't necessarily make it a bad school but I think it's a shitty thing for them to do.

Comment

I was torn between moving this to the Basic and Misc Technique forum or here...

I chose YMAS.

I have nothing to say about the topic except to shake my head at the school in question. That is just silly, and money snatching... and kinda creepy in that frat boy/team sport/culty kinda way.
          “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
          BILL HICKS,
          1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
          ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
            I was torn between moving this to the Basic and Misc Technique forum or here...

I chose YMAS.

I have nothing to say about the topic except to shake my head at the school in question. That is just silly, and money snatching... and kinda creepy in that frat boy/team sport/culty kinda way.
            No worries about moving it to this discussion board. I honestly didn't know where to put since I don't frequent forums often. I'll usually just visit Bullshido for some humorous relief from work.

Comment

I've never heard of it being required to train BJJ, but I'm not very experienced.

At my daughter's karate school you're not allowed to wear the patch until you earn your yellow belt, then I believe it's free with the belt (but of course there is a testing fee). Once you have earned your patch I don't think it's required to train, but I assume it's required for the tournament.

Comment

I could understand if this at a competition where the academy would want to be seen but just for training? That's some bullshit. The down side is: their house, their rules.
                Train hard, fight easy.

Comment

They require a patch where I train now, but they are pretty lax about enforcement. They'll give you a few weeks to put it together. They don't require you to buy a gi from them. I don't have strong feelings about it. It's kind of pointless (outside of comps), but it's not a huge money maker either.
                  "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Originally posted by strikistanian
                  DROP SEIONAGI MOTHERFUCKER! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
                  Originally posted by Devil
                  Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
                  Originally posted by Plasma
                  At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.
                  Originally posted by SoulMechanic
                  Thank you, not dying really rewarding in more ways than I can express.

Comment

Aww memories, I was training with a Dean Lister BB, I was training 2 times a day 6 days a week. So I got a bunch of Super Cheap His($30 a pop cheap). All was good, then he becomes a Gracie place and the patch bullshit started.
                    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
                    –George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Bullshido?
                      It doesn't fall under the definition of Bullshido (Martial arts woo), but it's still a pretty butt-shitting policy.
                      Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

On the other hand it's called a "uniform".

Comment

As for how regular it is I have trained at 7 different bjj gyms with only the 1 requiring them.
                          Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
                            It doesn't fall under the definition of Bullshido (Martial arts woo), but it's still a pretty butt-shitting policy.
                            No but it does have a serious wiff of McDojoism

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post
                              No but it does have a serious wiff of McDojoism
                              And pussyism.
                              Dan Severn loves raping people.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X