Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Martial Arts Should Be In The Olympics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Martial Arts Should Be In The Olympics?

Currently we have:

Olympic Boxing
    Olympic Fencing (epee, foil, sabre)
    Olympic Freestyle Wrestling
    Olympic Greco-Roman Wrestling
    Olympic Judo
    Olympic Taekwondo

I'd combine the grappling and striking arts, include MMA and change fencing for something less silly.

I'd like to see:

MMA
    Mixed Striking
    Mixed grappling
    Historical fencing (2 handed sword, one handed sword and quaterstaff)
    Armoured combat (of some description)
    Some form of ranged combat (paintball, airsoft or a less sissified version of combat archery)

If you had the final say on which martial arts were in the Olympics what would you chose? Any other sports you'd get rid of or add to the Olympics?

I think combat sports where there is a serious risk of injury and long recovery times do not lend themselves well to a tournament format. MMA has gotten away from it. Olympic boxing is pretty horrible.

What do you mean by Mixed Striking and Mixed Grappling?

K1 (or Muay Thai) rules?

IBJJF (or some other org) rules?

Comment

Originally posted by BigJim520 View Post
      I think combat sports where there is a serious risk of injury and long recovery times do not lend themselves well to a tournament format. MMA has gotten away from it. Olympic boxing is pretty horrible.

What do you mean by Mixed Striking and Mixed Grappling?

K1 (or Muay Thai) rules?

IBJJF (or some other org) rules?
      I was thinking something similar to K1 for striking but good point about the injury risk. What arts and rules would you chose for striking?

I like the IBJJF rules but I'd be open to alternatives.

Comment

The reality is the IOC isn't interested in any more combat sports. Unless maybe it's foxy boxing, they'd be all over that. Whatever sells ads.

Comment

Modern Pankration. It has the Olympic history going for it, without being too hardcore for the pussy IOC people.

Comment

The reality is the IOC isn't interested in any more combat sports. Unless maybe it's foxy boxing, they'd be all over that. Whatever sells ads.
            They tried to do away with wrestling and have been neutering Judo for years. Any good combat sport you manage to get in there will rapidly be faggotized.

Some doopey Bullshido Facebook poster who does Taekwondo actually tried mocking BJJ for not being an Olympic sport. I never thought I'd ever see somebody with that little self awareness.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilG View Post
              That's why it's a hypothetical.

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
                They tried to do away with wrestling and have been neutering Judo for years. Any good combat sport you manage to get in there will rapidly be faggotized.
                It's been a debate in kendo circles for years: the Koreans want to go Olympic in large part because it would take control of kendo out of the hands of the Japanese. Most everybody else sees what happened to judo and says "no fucking way". There is zero chance the IOC would ever consider it so the point is moot.

Comment

Originally posted by NeilG View Post
                  It's been a debate in kendo circles for years: the Koreans want to go Olympic in large part because it would take control of kendo out of the hands of the Japanese. Most everybody else sees what happened to judo and says "no fucking way". There is zero chance the IOC would ever consider it so the point is moot.
                  Aware me on what the IOC did to Judo. Are they the ones responsible for the leg grab restrictions?

Comment

Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post

Some doopey Bullshido Facebook poster who does Taekwondo actually tried mocking BJJ for not being an Olympic sport. I never thought I'd ever see somebody with that little self awareness.
                    You don't get it, it's about the money. IOC threatened wrestling because they wanted changes in structure of the organization, same with Judo. Judo wasn't making enough money, so same thing happened.

I had a good laugh about people being scared wrestling would be taken out of the Olympics. Judo, yeah, that could have happened, but the IJF responded with their new structure, point system (for Olympic qualification), etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Giant View Post
                      Aware me on what the IOC did to Judo. Are they the ones responsible for the leg grab restrictions?
                      Scared the shit out of the IJF to restructure and modernize judo to fit into the modern sports business model, because Judo wasn't producing the cash flow the IOC wanted.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                      X