Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ulsteryank
    replied
    Don't know about Olympians, but a few champs have been brought in. Conor McGregor has TKD coaches. One former one was actually in the headlines for accidently killing some poor guy in a drunken scuffle that was walking back from his retirement party.

GSP had Joe Rogan show him a few pointers(think it was more friendly, because he knows rightly). Rogan credits John Lee as being his mentor that started him off.

Joseph Duffy has this wicked lead roundhouse off a jab he's done in his last Cage Warriors fight, and UFC debut. Don't know how he gets the initial wind in, but he throws it up quick and straight , which has to be from his TKD days.

A lot of MMA guys like Anderson Silva with TKD backgrounds are obviously supplemented by Muay Thai and what not, even if nit more by it, but there was a devastating striker on the last TUF that was a TKD guy. Did alright until it went to the ground, then he was like a fish out of water.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Giant
    replied
    Originally posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Are there any instances of top tier MMA gyms bringing in Olympic Taekwondo coaches to supplement their fighters' kicking games?
    Don't know about coaches but MVP is doing pretty well with his TKD background. 10 - 0 record, 9 wins in the first round. He's certainly got other skills but he makes good use of his kicks.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he performs when he fights higher level opponents.

Leave a comment:

• Holy Moment
    replied
    Are there any instances of top tier MMA gyms bringing in Olympic Taekwondo coaches to supplement their fighters' kicking games?

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Giant View Post
    TKD is probably an Olympic sport precisely because it sucks. People consider it to be more family friendly and less brutal than MT. I'd rather people weren't such pussies.
    TKD is an Olympic Sport because of the huge income potential to the IOC...

Leave a comment:

• Bneterasedmynam
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Giant View Post
    TKD is probably an Olympic sport precisely because it sucks. People consider it to be more family friendly and less brutal than MT. I'd rather people weren't such pussies.
    I wouldn't, if less people were pussies then I would have to train harder. I prefer they stay soft and useless so I am at a higher level.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Giant
    replied
    Originally posted by Permalost View Post
    There should be an Olympics where muay thai gets to challenge taekwondo for their Olympic slot.

Leave a comment:

• DCS
    replied
    Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
    AFAIK, it's still point fighting, but they have to land a pretty solid blow to count, Something like "a shivering strike" is the quote I remember.
    Is not point fighting, but taking no risks and playing for points is somewhat encouraged.

Leave a comment:

• BackFistMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by Permalost View Post
    There should be an Olympics where muay thai gets to challenge taekwondo for their Olympic slot.
    I thought Thailand does field a TKD team every time.

Leave a comment:

• BKR
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Permalost
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied
    Naturally. But you're not a completely sedentary TV personality in your 50s.

Leave a comment:

• Holy Moment
    replied
    Originally posted by ermghoti View Post
    AFAIK, it's still point fighting, but they have to land a pretty solid blow to count, Something like "a shivering strike" is the quote I remember.

I saw a British loudmouth who was dissing Olympic TKD get called out by a smallish woman competitor. She quickly put him on the ground with a body kick. Still not something I'd recommend, but it's a long way from the strip mall.
    I would've knocked her ass out.

Leave a comment:

• ermghoti
    replied

I saw a British loudmouth who was dissing Olympic TKD get called out by a smallish woman competitor. She quickly put him on the ground with a body kick. Still not something I'd recommend, but it's a long way from the strip mall.

Leave a comment:

• Holy Moment
    replied
    Originally posted by BackFistMonkey View Post

That's different. It is usually a reference to general websites remote viewing or whatever ... not specific a "on this website"
    I guess they know how much I've been saying their style is for pussies.

Leave a comment:

• BackFistMonkey
    replied

Originally posted by youtube
    This video contains content from the International Olympic Committee, who has blocked it from display on this website.
    That's different. It is usually a reference to general websites remote viewing or whatever ... not specific a "on this website"

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X